16 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 Next All Recommend Thread
HackneyHaddock
August 5, 2019, 10:01pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.34
Rep Score: +17 / -1
Approval: +3,619
Gold Stars: 1
Pooh makes a good point in that these signings do suggest that Jolley has learned something about what he thinks is needed to be successful in this league.  

Already it looks like he understands the strengths and weaknesses of the squad he has and will base his teams on a core 433 formation which can be adapted into 352/532 depending on when and whether he gets wide options into the building.  Solid back four underpins the whole thing.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 60 - 153
The_Laughing_Mariner
August 5, 2019, 10:04pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.47
Rep Score: +17 / -5
Approval: +1,047
Gold Stars: 10
Maybe allows Davis to move nearer home.  Straight swap anyone?

<'(((((<

When I was a little boy
I asked my daddy what would i be
would I be United, would i be Leeds
Here's what he said to me

Oh Grimsby Grimsby
Whatever will be will be
You'll follow then faithfully
Oh Grimsby Grimsby

Tell me Mam me Mam
I dont want no tea no tea
I'm watching the Grimsby
Tell me Mam me mam
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 61 - 153
Teesknees
August 5, 2019, 10:04pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.24
Rep Score: +9 / -2
Approval: +1,596
Gold Stars: 18
Nice comment from their site......

A dependable and honest player who always gives his all. I doubt many would disagree that he's simply not cultured enough for league 1, but playing in pretty much any league 2 team would be a contender anywhere for their player of the season - superb in the air and very strong, plenty of attributes that will stand him in good stead at that level. With Beckles offering more defensive versatility it does feel like now is the right time for him to leave. Thanks Luke and good luck.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 62 - 153
MarshMariner
August 5, 2019, 10:09pm
Beer Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.07
Rep Score: +2 / 0
Approval: +471
Gold Stars: 2
We can't go through a full season with 3 centre backs, one being a first year pro... the move makes total sense, just need that little bit of creativity in the middle.  I thought Saturday was crying out for some composure in the middle of the park, we showed glimpses after we scored...
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 63 - 153
The_Laughing_Mariner
August 5, 2019, 10:12pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.47
Rep Score: +17 / -5
Approval: +1,047
Gold Stars: 10
My cup runneth over

<'(((((<

When I was a little boy
I asked my daddy what would i be
would I be United, would i be Leeds
Here's what he said to me

Oh Grimsby Grimsby
Whatever will be will be
You'll follow then faithfully
Oh Grimsby Grimsby

Tell me Mam me Mam
I dont want no tea no tea
I'm watching the Grimsby
Tell me Mam me mam
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 64 - 153
Poojah
August 5, 2019, 10:24pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.26
Rep Score: +76 / -11
Approval: +29,902
Gold Stars: 1,527
Quoted from fishboyUTM
I'd have mixed feelings. We really only have three centre backs at the club so we do need at least another but he would be dropping a division presumably to play, not to be a squad player and he would probably limit Mattie Pollock's game time and hinder his development. Ludwig starts every game for me.

Mattie’s 17 or 18 is he not? Practically a baby in centre half terms.

He plays in a position where injuries and suspensions are a part of the job - even as fourth choice choice he’ll get plenty of game time. If he’s better than fourth choice, I’ve every confidence Jolley will recognise that and he’ll get the exposure he deserves.

A smooth sea never made a skillful mariner.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 65 - 153
Lincoln Mariner 56
August 5, 2019, 10:37pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.61
Rep Score: +23 / -4
Approval: +7,776
Gold Stars: 82
Quoted from Teesknees
Nice comment from their site......

A dependable and honest player who always gives his all. I doubt many would disagree that he's simply not cultured enough for league 1, but playing in pretty much any league 2 team would be a contender anywhere for their player of the season - superb in the air and very strong, plenty of attributes that will stand him in good stead at that level. With Beckles offering more defensive versatility it does feel like now is the right time for him to leave. Thanks Luke and good luck.

Pretty much reflects what Imps fans are saying and not one has had a negative comment on him.

Starting to wonder if Jolley had a summer meeting with the Cowleys to pick their brains on best approach for League 2 success as clearly appears a change in style and formation this season. If we start crossing the ball into the box on at least 30 times each match from all areas of the pitch I will be convinced!,

Anyway if he comes he will add strength and experience and an additional midfield player, maybe two should be a decent summer and hopefully lead to a more enjoyable winter.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 66 - 153
fishboyUTM
August 5, 2019, 10:39pm
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.42
Rep Score: +7 / -3
Approval: +1,071
Gold Stars: 40
Quoted from Poojah

Mattie’s 17 or 18 is he not? Practically a baby in centre half terms.

He plays in a position where injuries and suspensions are a part of the job - even as fourth choice choice he’ll get plenty of game time. If he’s better than fourth choice, I’ve every confidence Jolley will recognise that and he’ll get the exposure he deserves.

Fair comment, we certainly need four centre backs at the club.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 67 - 153
jamesgtfc
August 5, 2019, 10:46pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.16
Rep Score: +20 / -5
Approval: +13,054
Gold Stars: 190
Quoted from Lincoln Mariner 56

Pretty much reflects what Imps fans are saying and not one has had a negative comment on him.

Starting to wonder if Jolley had a summer meeting with the Cowleys to pick their brains on best approach for League 2 success as clearly appears a change in style and formation this season. If we start crossing the ball into the box on at least 30 times each match from all areas of the pitch I will be convinced!,

Anyway if he comes he will add strength and experience and an additional midfield player, maybe two should be a decent summer and hopefully lead to a more enjoyable winter.

Great point about meeting with the Cowley's and he has spoken about getting on with them previously.

Early days but looking at how the squad has been built this summer, it just goes to show that it takes time to build a team.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 68 - 153
Rik e B
August 5, 2019, 11:14pm

Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.59
Rep Score: +20 / -3
Approval: +3,916
Reminds me of the more successful Slade MKI where he researched what type of play and player was needed to succeed in this division with the hope of a more cultured approach in future if we won promotion.

P.s.apologies for mentioning The Bald One.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 69 - 153
16 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Luke Waterfall

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.