3 Pages Prev 1 2 3 Next All Recommend Thread
jamesgtfc
March 23, 2019, 8:50pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.16
Rep Score: +20 / -5
Approval: +13,015
Gold Stars: 190
I thought Collins came on at the end to give us a bit of extra height to deal with their aerial bombardments.

I thought Woolford played well, moving the ball on and offering support to Ring out wide.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 10 - 29
HertsGTFC
March 23, 2019, 8:52pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 4.26
Rep Score: +29 / -10
Approval: +22,971
Gold Stars: 228
Enjoyed that, and it was a well earned point versus a decent side. Credit to MJ & AL as they set the team up not to lose and who knows with a little more composure we could have even won the game.

Impressed with RHJ today as he defended really well and also managed to do a lot of Ring’s defending at the same time, very mature performance from a player who we need to get on a long term deal. Though some of it was “last ditch” I thought we defended well overall.

I think all the boys deserve some credit today as that was a real team performance based upon good work rate and great spirit.

I really hope we see more of Rose and Vermam as they are really exciting prospects. Today proved we may lack edge at this stage but if MJ can have a couple of more windows brining the level of quality we’ve seen in the likes of Hess (superb today) and Hendrie things will be very interesting indeed.

UTM!!

"Crombie you would have got to that if you weren't such a fat ba%$@rd" - George Kerr, inspiration from the dug out 70s style  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 11 - 29
Maringer
March 23, 2019, 9:25pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.87
Rep Score: +60 / -12
Approval: +16,569
Gold Stars: 185
Not keen on the defending at corners/long throws which was even deeper than usual! Literally every one of our players less than 10 yards from the goal line, even before they brought that massive striker on. If we continue to defend in that manner, at some point we'll get a run of games where the opposition smash shots from the edge of the box into the top corner or have them deflect/squeeze in through the crowd of players.

Otherwise, hard-working defence and some promising breaks which failed due to a poor final ball or just a lack of a little bit of quality.

Finally, if we're going to try to play the possession game, we've got to stop needlessly giving it away so often. I realise it's 4th division football so mistakes are going to happen, but we continue to set up as many of the opposition's attacks (whilst ruining our own) as they do!
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 12 - 29
moosey_club
March 23, 2019, 9:34pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.70
Rep Score: +69 / -22
Approval: +20,269
Gold Stars: 226
fairly entertaining 0-0....very few attempts at goal for either side but was no where near as poor a spectacle as last time out.

When we press high we look as good as anyone, to say they are 2nd and one of the most free scoring teams in our division we made them look poor, thought Jolley got his homework spot on this week.

With a bit of quality and pace in the final third we would be much higher in the League...but i guess most teams could say that in reality.

Hess, RHJ, Davies, Hendrie all bossing their opponents today.

Rose and Vernam both added something when they came on .

Just a couple of final passes/ right choices away from a victory today.

Very importantly i think we played as well, if not better, without the services of Embleton. Important to carry that thought forward.

Oh...the ref and at least one of the lino's were fking terrible.

UTM

2023/24 DLWDDWDLLLWDLLLLWDDDWDLLWLDLLDWDDWLLDWLWLWL but not NLN 😁
2022/23LDWDWWDWLLDWWDLLLDLWLLWLWLLWDDLDWWDDDLLWDWLWLW
2021/22 WDWWWWDLWWWWLLLWLLDLWLLWWDWWWLWDLWWDWWWDLWD play offs WWW Promoted 🥳
2020/21  LLDWWLDLDWLWLLLDLWLLDLLDLLLWLLLDDDDWDDDLWLWLWL .. hello darkness my old friend
2019/20  WDLDWWLDLWWLLLDLDLDLDDWWDLLWDDWWL WLLW - ended
2018/19  LWDDLLLLLLWWDWLLLWDWLWWWWLLLLWWWWDLLLDDLLDLWLW Hello Scunny  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 13 - 29
HertsGTFC
March 23, 2019, 9:43pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from Maringer
Not keen on the defending at corners/long throws which was even deeper than usual! Literally every one of our players less than 10 yards from the goal line, even before they brought that massive striker on. If we continue to defend in that manner, at some point we'll get a run of games where the opposition smash shots from the edge of the box into the top corner or have them deflect/squeeze in through the crowd of players.

Otherwise, hard-working defence and some promising breaks which failed due to a poor final ball or just a lack of a little bit of quality.

Finally, if we're going to try to play the possession game, we've got to stop needlessly giving it away so often. I realise it's 4th division football so mistakes are going to happen, but we continue to set up as many of the opposition's attacks (whilst ruining our own) as they do!

Things are looking positive then?

"Crombie you would have got to that if you weren't such a fat ba%$@rd" - George Kerr, inspiration from the dug out 70s style  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 14 - 29
Bigdog
March 23, 2019, 10:02pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.13
Rep Score: +36 / -1
Approval: +11,802
Gold Stars: 162
Quoted from moosey_club
fairly entertaining 0-0....very few attempts at goal for either side but was no where near as poor a spectacle as last time out.

When we press high we look as good as anyone, to say they are 2nd and one of the most free scoring teams in our division we made them look poor, thought Jolley got his homework spot on this week.

With a bit of quality and pace in the final third we would be much higher in the League...but i guess most teams could say that in reality.

Hess, RHJ, Davies, Hendrie all bossing their opponents today.

Rose and Vernam both added something when they came on .

Just a couple of final passes/ right choices away from a victory today.

Very importantly i think we played as well, if not better, without the services of Embleton. Important to carry that thought forward.

Oh...the ref and at least one of the lino's were fking terrible.

UTM

Always think we're lacking a Pouton/Cunnington type player in central midfield to compliment Hess and Clifton. If MJ could unearth a similar type at League two level next season I think we stand a lot better chance of getting on top in games. Whether it's Embleton or Woolford, we lack a certain amount of dynamism and physicality which is underlined by how many times we give the ball away under pressure. A bit more pace and power in our midfield three may earn us a little more time on the ball and with it comes a bit more much needed composure.

Thought the back three played very well today as did Hendrie. Felt a bit sorry for our left wing back who was a bit isolated at times. As Hessenthaler was rightfully man marking Mayor and generally a lot wider on our right than normal, it left the other two a lot of ground to cover to link up with Ring as our midfield three were a little lopsided. Our front two were fairly poor, but at least Cook worked his behind off while Thomas was deciding between Marbs and Dubai. Think MJ needs a good think about what qualities he needs from our forward line next season because average all-rounders aren't going to cut it.

Decent game, deserved a point, as our midfield and defence stuck to their tasks, disciplined defending and competing resolutely without the ball, we could have nicked it at the end with two dangerous forwards on the pitch at last..
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 15 - 29
Maringer
March 23, 2019, 10:08pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.87
Rep Score: +60 / -12
Approval: +16,569
Gold Stars: 185
Well, we're better than we were at this time last season. Just not as much as I hoped we would be.

Hopefully, we can retain the right players and sign a few more who will improve us enough for contention next season. Would be nice if we could manage the pacy, high-tempo game which Jolley has mentioned in the past.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 16 - 29
wigworld
March 24, 2019, 7:40am

Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.58
Rep Score: +32 / -3
Approval: +2,080
Gold Stars: 29
Quoted from Bigdog

Always think we're lacking a Pouton/Cunnington type player in central midfield to compliment Hess and Clifton. .

I'm led to believe Elliot Whitehouse is that type of player.

Logged Offline
Private Message Skype
Reply: 17 - 29
HertsGTFC
March 24, 2019, 9:51am

Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from Bigdog

Always think we're lacking a Pouton/Cunnington type player in central midfield to compliment Hess and Clifton. If MJ could unearth a similar type at League two level next season I think we stand a lot better chance of getting on top in games. Whether it's Embleton or Woolford, we lack a certain amount of dynamism and physicality which is underlined by how many times we give the ball away under pressure. A bit more pace and power in our midfield three may earn us a little more time on the ball and with it comes a bit more much needed composure.

Thought the back three played very well today as did Hendrie. Felt a bit sorry for our left wing back who was a bit isolated at times. As Hessenthaler was rightfully man marking Mayor and generally a lot wider on our right than normal, it left the other two a lot of ground to cover to link up with Ring as our midfield three were a little lopsided. Our front two were fairly poor, but at least Cook worked his behind off while Thomas was deciding between Marbs and Dubai. Think MJ needs a good think about what qualities he needs from our forward line next season because average all-rounders aren't going to cut it.

Decent game, deserved a point, as our midfield and defence stuck to their tasks, disciplined defending and competing resolutely without the ball, we could have nicked it at the end with two dangerous forwards on the pitch at last..

Are there any Cunnington/Pouton like players in L2?

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 18 - 29
Gaffer58
March 24, 2019, 2:27pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.88
Rep Score: +6 / -8
Approval: +4,097
Gold Stars: 33
Quoted from HertsGTFC

Are there any Cunnington/Pouton like players in L2?

With the way that all tackles are deemed a foul by most referees than a strong tackling midfielder in today's game is not as important. Herd about 5 minutes of the Walsall v Barnsley game yesterday lunch time and the commentary mentioned how good it wad to have a game where tackles were allowed, not like the premier, so why do the referees authorities and the FA accept different outcomes for the same tackles depending on which league there from?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 19 - 29
3 Pages Prev 1 2 3 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Just back

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.