Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Luke Summerfield Awards.
Users Browsing Forum
AdSense and 57 Guests

Luke Summerfield Awards.

This thread currently has 7,370 views. Print
5 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 Next All Recommend Thread
dapperz fun pub
May 9, 2018, 7:54am
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.59
Rep Score: +37 / -6
Approval: +10,066
Gold Stars: 84
Quoted from Bigdog
I've seen the comment "if he had someone alongside him" on a lot of threads. How about we sign players that don't need babysitting by another player to make up for their deficiencies? The knock on effect is we don't get the best of the other player either. We need every player to do their own jobs to get the best results we can..

Summers and Collins deserve another year in the squad, but their ultimate effectiveness as first choice starters? Not for me. If we are going to progress we'll need better and different in those positions. We conceded plenty and we didn't create much over a season and the reasons for that can't be laid totally at Slade's door and be forgotten about..

My exact thoughts on it
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 10 - 44
Rodley Mariner
May 9, 2018, 7:59am
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.36
Rep Score: +63 / -17
Approval: +13,258
Gold Stars: 180
We're a League 2 club. If you can find a box-to-box, athletic, ball-winning, creative, goalscoring central midfielder who screens the back 4 well then let's bring him in. Otherwise we might have to sign players with strengths that compliment each other - it's not a case of babysitting.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 11 - 44
Northbank Mariner
May 9, 2018, 8:04am
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.75
Rep Score: +9 / -9
Approval: +7,533
Gold Stars: 172
Quoted from Rodley Mariner
We're a League 2 club. If you can find a box-to-box, athletic, ball-winning, creative, goalscoring central midfielder who screens the back 4 well then let's bring him in. Otherwise we might have to sign players with strengths that compliment each other - it's not a case of babysitting.

Mich Rose??.....just saying..
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 12 - 44
dapperz fun pub
May 9, 2018, 8:06am
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.59
Rep Score: +37 / -6
Approval: +10,066
Gold Stars: 84
Quoted from Rodley Mariner

We've already got him
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 13 - 44
Rodley Mariner
May 9, 2018, 8:10am
Special Brew Drinker
Quoted from Northbank Mariner

Mich Rose??.....just saying..

Really?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 14 - 44
Rodley Mariner
May 9, 2018, 8:10am
Special Brew Drinker
flipping hell it's a miracle we didn't romp to the title with our range of complete central midfielders!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 15 - 44
Bigdog
May 9, 2018, 8:14am
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.12
Rep Score: +36 / -1
Approval: +11,802
Gold Stars: 162
I've got a feeling that now Rose seems fitter and more confident under Jolley, MJ will be more inclined to try and find a partner for him rather than a partner for Summers. For all of his efforts, Summers gives me the feeling that the whole team lacks something when he's the main man. Sometimes it's not the player himself, it's how he affects the DNA of the team..
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 16 - 44
diehardmariner
May 9, 2018, 8:20am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.00
Rep Score: +36 / -6
Approval: +17,719
Gold Stars: 543
Quoted from Bigdog
I've seen the comment "if he had someone alongside him" on a lot of threads. How about we sign players that don't need babysitting by another player to make up for their deficiencies? The knock on effect is we don't get the best of the other player either. We need every player to do their own jobs to get the best results we can..

Summers and Collins deserve another year in the squad, but their ultimate effectiveness as first choice starters? Not for me. If we are going to progress we'll need better and different in those positions. We conceded plenty and we didn't create much over a season and the reasons for that can't be laid totally at Slade's door and be forgotten about..

Surely it's about balance rather than babysitting?

Summerfield wasn't there to create, he wasn't there to unlock a defence.  His role was to break up play and redistribute, something I think he did really well all season.  It's not his fault that throughout the season he was paired with players who offered no alternative to him.

If Jolley manages to find a creative influence to put into the midfield, it will need the balance of someone who is going to cover their forward runs, cover the gaps created and make sure the extra attacking option doesn't result in the back four getting overrun.  We all like seeing full-backs going forward and as the season went on (especially with Hall-Johnson and Fox) we started to see more of it, it was Summerfield who covered them to allow that to happen.

Rose has taken all the plaudits in recent weeks and in the eyes of a lot of people has transformed into Steven Gerrard as this swashbuckling midfielder who drives from box-to-box.  He's still not a patch on Summerfield and whilst I'm thankful for his goals, I would much rather Summerfield had the extra year left on his contract than Rose.

A stick that's used to beat Summerfield a lot is that he's always part of a struggling side.  Flipping that coin around, the much heralded James McKeown has failed to achieve a top half finish in the Football League in his whole career, shall we judge him on that? No, because it's out of his control to a very large extent.  He can't control the players he plays with.

Summerfield is a very good League Two midfielder who, in my opinion, would be a perfect foil for a more creative minded attacking partner.  The fact we never saw him and Jamey Osborne as a pairing is a real shame.
Private Message
Reply: 17 - 44
HertsGTFC
May 9, 2018, 8:39am

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 4.25
Rep Score: +29 / -10
Approval: +23,019
Gold Stars: 232
Quoted from dapperz fun pub
Not technically good enough I’m afraid much improved but if he’s your main man in midfield next year expect more of the same. The lower end of the table is were he’s familiar with not by chance, we simply need better. Having said that unlike some he worked his socks off most games and looked really committed to the cause that I can’t fault.

Hi Marcus, why are you posting as Dapperz?

"Crombie you would have got to that if you weren't such a fat ba%$@rd" - George Kerr, inspiration from the dug out 70s style  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 18 - 44
ginnywings
May 9, 2018, 8:58am

Recovering Alcoholic
Posts Per Day: 5.01
Rep Score: +88 / -32
Approval: +56,153
Gold Stars: 548
To get to the top of the league, which is the aim, you need at least one midfielder of the quality of a Luke Berry at Luton, or a Sean McConville at Accy. I suspect that Rose may now be a starter for next season, so is Summers alongside him the right player to create and score goals? His stats this season and last suggest otherwise, although he may fare better in a better side.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 19 - 44
5 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Luke Summerfield Awards.

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.