grimsby pete
March 13, 2018, 7:20pm

Exile
Posts Per Day: 9.79
Rep Score: +126 / -28
Approval: +17,836
Gold Stars: 222
Some one posted on here about the conviction before he was appointed RRFC

Over 37 years living in Suffolk but always a mariner.
                             69 Years following the Town

Life member of Trust

First game   April 1955

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 40 - 78
Cloudy
March 13, 2018, 7:21pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.13
Rep Score: +17 / -8
Approval: +6,431
Well that has stirred things up.   I made the original post with no comment at all for a reason. To give people the chance to comment on the articles without any colouring opinion from me as the poster.

For what it is worth, I agree with all the comments about gutter press ....... but the facts are out there in the public domain. They are not allegations, they are facts to which Jolley admitted and was sentenced. Had the case been in England it would definitely have been more noticed as other similar ones have been.

Obviously there is the question of his openness or otherwise about his conviction. Certainly we did not know about it did we? Did the club? What would Fishy posters have said if this had been published during the selection and interview time? Has it had an influence on his career decisions?

A second thing is about the timing. This was bound to come out sooner rather than later in one rag or another so it is surely better that it happened now than in the last week/fortnight of the season.

Incidentally, what would we have said if it was at another club? We had plenty to say about our friend from Boston, Rotherham, Leeds .... and his dodgy dealings, and we have had threads about players from other clubs caught in compromising situations.

It might be in the past, it might not matter to us, we might think this is completely irrelevant to his job at GTFC but whatever our opinions we cannot just stick our heads in the sand and pretend it never happened at all.

You post as if this is the first time any of us had read anything about the case?

This has been 'discussed' in depth across numberous social media outlets around the time of his appointment ( some before the appointment was made public). I, and many others had discussed the case some time before your link to the Daily Mail that's for sure

I for one am 100% certain the club were fully aware of this historic case at the time of appointment and probably at the initial interview .

Move on, nothing to see here
Private Message
Reply: 41 - 78
Abdul19
March 13, 2018, 7:28pm

Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 3.41
Rep Score: +71 / -26
Approval: +17,617
Gold Stars: 220

Obviously there is the question of his openness or otherwise about his conviction.

https://michaeljolleycoach.wordpress.com/

JESUS AT THE CENTRE
Private Message
Reply: 42 - 78
Mighty_Mariner
March 13, 2018, 7:31pm
Pontoonite
Posts Per Day: 0.84
Rep Score: +42 / -9
Approval: +2,245
Gold Stars: 10
Where have you been RRFC? The case was discussed at length on here well before he was appointed!

"They shall grow not old, as we that are left grow old, Age shall not weary them, nor the years condemn, At the going down of the sun, and in the morning, We WILL remember them"
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 43 - 78
RoboCod
March 13, 2018, 7:32pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.90
Rep Score: +70 / -19
Approval: +7,505
Well that has stirred things up.   I made the original post with no comment at all for a reason. To give people the chance to comment on the articles without any colouring opinion from me as the poster.

For what it is worth, I agree with all the comments about gutter press ....... but the facts are out there in the public domain. They are not allegations, they are facts to which Jolley admitted and was sentenced.

Except it isn't factual. The girl being found distressed was an allegation and as far as it reads, an unfounded one. The 'Vile Beast' is a gutter-worthy allegation, again not factual. And no mention of the violent attack on the accused, by the paper or yourself.
I don't know where you're going with this post, either the original or the follow but it smacks of $hit stirring imo.

Poor stuff, would be great to concentrate on the football if possible.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 44 - 78
EY Mariner
March 13, 2018, 8:03pm
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.14
Rep Score: +9 / -2
Approval: +865
Gold Stars: 5
Quoted from mariner91
Could he sue these papers? They've been very selective with which facts to disclose and which ones not to, leaving out some important details such as the girls being in a nightclub and saying they were 19.

From a professional point of view, that's a difficult question to answer and I don't think there would be any guarantee of success in the courts. If I were advising Jolley, I would suggest making a complaint to IPSO, the newspaper regulator, rather than going down the legal route. I think that, regardless of any public interest defence the publications concerned may try to deploy, there is a clear case for a breach of Clause 1 of the Editors' Code of Practice relating to misrepresentation. Given the volume of, frankly, time-wasting complaints that I have seen referred to IPSO, this is a matter that should go to them.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 45 - 78
TheRonRaffertyFanClub
March 13, 2018, 8:41pm
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.34
Rep Score: +43 / -11
Approval: +8,658
Gold Stars: 23
Quoted from Mighty_Mariner
Where have you been RRFC? The case was discussed at length on here well before he was appointed!

Well one place I have not been is on twitter or social media because I’m not signed up, and regrettably I must have missed the discussion at length you refer to. My apologies for that, today is the first I have seen of it. A link would have helped.

“If all mankind minus one, were of one opinion, and only one person were of the contrary opinion, mankind would be no more justified in silencing that one person, than he, if he had the power, would be justified in silencing mankind.”
― John Stuart Mill, On Liberty."
Private Message
Reply: 46 - 78
Mrs Doyle
March 13, 2018, 8:48pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.78
Rep Score: +22 / -13
Approval: +4,859
Quoted from cmackenzie4

I’m sure I heard some PV fans chanting about Jolley - did anyone else hear it?

No, but I heard J.J, Hooper getting plenty of shitt whilst warming up they really laid into him but to be fair J.J. stayed down that end and kept smiling at them lol.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 47 - 78
psgmariner
March 13, 2018, 8:51pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.69
Rep Score: +39 / -15
Approval: +5,480
Gold Stars: 33
"excrement for Grimsby and excrement for Vale..."

Aimed at Hooper and Kelly. Very hard to argue with.

Private Message
Reply: 48 - 78
gytone
March 13, 2018, 9:32pm
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.14
Rep Score: +6 / -2
Approval: +1,032
Gold Stars: 8
Quoted from ginnywings
The staggering hypocrisy of that paper is unbelievable. On the same page, there are pictures of young girls with their baps hanging out of skimpy dresses.

Really, what page are they on
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 49 - 78
8 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Michael Jolley

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.