Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Clarke or Collins?
Users Browsing Forum
No Members and 81 Guests

If you had to pick one to remain in the side
Clarke
Collins
  View Results 136 Votes Total
You must login or register to be allowed to participate in this poll

Clarke or Collins?

This thread currently has 6,917 views. Print
4 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 Next All Recommend Thread
grimsby pete
March 9, 2018, 2:11pm

Exile
Posts Per Day: 9.78
Rep Score: +126 / -28
Approval: +17,840
Gold Stars: 222
About the most uneven poll we have ever had  72 --1 at the moment.

Over 37 years living in Suffolk but always a mariner.
                             69 Years following the Town

Life member of Trust

First game   April 1955

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 10 - 39
cmackenzie4
March 9, 2018, 2:13pm

Recovering Alcoholic
Posts Per Day: 11.23
Rep Score: +130 / -10
Approval: +14,345
Gold Stars: 34
Collins any day of the week.

Grimsby and proud!
Private Message
Reply: 11 - 39
GrimsbyHarry
March 9, 2018, 2:14pm
Coke Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.01
Rep Score: +6 / 0
Approval: +55
Danny Collins definitely has a lot more about him. Clarke doesn’t look good enough for this team from what I’ve seen of him. Way too slow and an easy target for strikers.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 12 - 39
Madeleymariner
March 9, 2018, 2:21pm

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.01
Rep Score: +23 / -15
Approval: +3,074
Gold Stars: 52
Disagree, Collins the weaker, far slower, loses his man at set pieces and spends a lot of time ball watching falling on his bum, look back at highlights and see how many goals come around from him losing his player because he is stood still watching the guy with the ball too long letting players ghost in behind him. I dont rate Clarke either, but he was always going to get it in the neck more becaiuse he replaced Pearson.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 13 - 39
Tinymariner
March 9, 2018, 2:32pm

Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.74
Rep Score: +30 / -2
Approval: +1,456
Gold Stars: 12
Neither, both are a liability.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 14 - 39
rancido
March 9, 2018, 2:34pm

Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.26
Rep Score: +41 / -10
Approval: +6,667
Gold Stars: 102
Quoted from Madeleymariner
Disagree, Collins the weaker, far slower, loses his man at set pieces and spends a lot of time ball watching falling on his bum, look back at highlights and see how many goals come around from him losing his player because he is stood still watching the guy with the ball too long letting players ghost in behind him. I dont rate Clarke either, but he was always going to get it in the neck more becaiuse he replaced Pearson.

Slade discarded Pearson with the sole intention of bringing Clarke in. If Coventry hadn't released Clarke then Pearson would still be here. If Clarke had been all that good then Coventry wouldn't have released him, especially as they wanted to get promoted from our level.
Considering all Clarke's experience at a much higher level he never seems commanding enough for me and certainly doesn't play a captain's role especially in defence. Pearson did more organising in our defence and he wasn't even captain!
It's also worth noting that Collins covers the left side and who is his normal left-back?

The Future is Black & White.
"The commonest thing on this planet is not water , as some people believe, but stupidity ". Frank Zappa
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 15 - 39
ginnywings
March 9, 2018, 2:35pm

Recovering Alcoholic
Posts Per Day: 5.01
Rep Score: +88 / -32
Approval: +56,153
Gold Stars: 548
You can see that they were both good defenders in their day. The problem is that their day has gone and if it's straight forward defending with the game in front of them, they are fine. When the play gets behind them, they are not quick enough, or agile enough to recover. Neither would be at this level if they were still the defenders they once were. Collins looked really good last season, but age has caught up with him this season i think. Neither of them are terrible, but they just haven't got the mobility they once had.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 16 - 39
Maringer
March 9, 2018, 2:42pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.87
Rep Score: +60 / -12
Approval: +16,702
Gold Stars: 189
I think Clarke is OK. Collins a better defender in his day but he's getting on a bit now and I don't think there is a great deal to choose between the two though Clarke is stronger in the air.

The problem has been that, however the defence has played this season, there's always a moment where they switch off and this has cost us over and over again. The number of times teams have scored with their first chance this season is ridiculous.

The Exeter game was a case in point - Clarke gave away the stupid penalty to let them score but didn't put a foot wrong apart from that. The way we're playing, we need all of the defence to cut out such stupid errors.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 17 - 39
Cloudy
March 9, 2018, 2:55pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.13
Rep Score: +17 / -8
Approval: +6,431
Quoted from rancido

[/b]

Slade discarded Pearson with the sole intention of bringing Clarke in. If Coventry hadn't released Clarke then Pearson would still be here. If Clarke had been all that good then Coventry wouldn't have released him, especially as they wanted to get promoted from our level.
Considering all Clarke's experience at a much higher level he never seems commanding enough for me and certainly doesn't play a captain's role especially in defence. Pearson did more organising in our defence and he wasn't even captain!
It's also worth noting that Collins covers the left side and who is his normal left-back?

That view is often pedalled on here  but the truth is that Pearson would have been offered a deal but Slade had to get Boyce out the door first. Boyce initially refused to drop to the Conference and that was the real reason why Shaun didn't stay as an offer from Wrexham wa son the table
Private Message
Reply: 18 - 39
Bigdog
March 9, 2018, 5:03pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.12
Rep Score: +36 / -1
Approval: +11,802
Gold Stars: 162
Quoted from Cloudy

That view is often pedalled on here  but the truth is that Pearson would have been offered a deal but Slade had to get Boyce out the door first. Boyce initially refused to drop to the Conference and that was the real reason why Shaun didn't stay as an offer from Wrexham wa son the table

I cannot for the life of me get my head round Slade thinking it would be great idea to sign two centre halves the wrong side of 35 and only have Karleigh Osburne who had injury problems over the preceding two seasons as a back up. Then he flogs the two older centre halves to death for the whole of the first half of the season, not giving KO any game time at all, leaving him undercooked match-fit wise so deep into the season.. On top of that, I also can't get my head round that he thought only three centre halves was enough cover or provided enough versatility in tactical formations, especially when he built a squad of over thirty players. And I can't believe there weren't alarm bells over this kind of recruitment policy from the boardroom. We were screwed before we even kicked off this season. Looking forward to the day when I no longer see the immortal phrases "both centre halves are slow" and "no pace at the back" on this forum unless we're describing the opposition..
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 19 - 39
4 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Clarke or Collins?

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.