This thread currently has 13,156 views. Print
8 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 Next All Recommend Thread
Grimbiggs
January 27, 2018, 5:51pm
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.22
Rep Score: +4 / -4
Approval: +685
Did Ok for the first twenty minutes, with Summerfield hitting a decent effort that hit the bar, but then it was groundhog day again. Luton should have scored, but it hit their man on the line. Then the sending off came, and we never pushed on against their 10 men. Why play three centre-backs against one striker. We huffed and puffed second half, but never really looked like scoring, hitting the bar once, and the only clear-cut opening fell to Wilkes, who rather than getting the shot off, decided to try and play in Mills. Their goal came after an excellent save from Killip, but we were to slow to clear and Collins fired it home. Our attacking play is too slow and predictable, Vernam has to come back all the way to the half way line just to receive the ball. and only him and Summerfield came out with any credit today, Berrett was anonymous again. Whilst I didn't expect anything from this game, we should have done far better against ten men, and whilst they edged it, the opportunity was there to get something out of the game. We've talked about it for months, but with eight strikers, the lack of goals is very worrying. Three important games coming up were we need at least four points, and with dwindling home attendances unlikely to be above 3500 (Notts County apart) these are worrying times....UTM
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 10 - 76
oldun
January 27, 2018, 6:01pm

Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.90
Rep Score: +57 / -5
Approval: +3,475
We paid the price for not scoring in the first half when we played quite well with purpose driven on by Summerfield who again had an excellent game. Our back 3 were not troubled by the Luton attack, even before the sending off. Kilip making one save I think. Unfortunately we again concede a free kick in a dangerous and this time they scored because they reacted to the rebound off the bar quicker than we did. Kilip did OK to tip the kick onto the bar. After that they had something to defend which they did professionally. They were frustrating but did a job and showed a winning mentality. They go away with an ugly 3 points and sometimes the margins are small as we hit the woodwork twice. Against a packed defence we were not clever enough, launching long balls into the box or trying to find away through the middle. It was crying out for us to move the ball quicker, with more movement up front and also to play down the sides and get in behind. Dembele should have been a wide person but seemed to play too deep. Vernham was coming deeper to get the ball, Matt battled hard but it takes him too long to react and is off balance a lot, like bambi on ice. Finally the best chance fell to new man Wilks near the end when from a good position he elected to try to square it and the chance and any points were lost. Even though we lost, surely there are worse teams than us. Let's hope so otherwise we are in for a nervy final third to the season.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 11 - 76
Gaffer58
January 27, 2018, 6:10pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.87
Rep Score: +6 / -8
Approval: +4,101
Gold Stars: 33
If there are worse teams than us than they must be absolutely crap!!!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 12 - 76
sonofmadeleymariner
January 27, 2018, 6:13pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.89
Rep Score: +20 / -9
Approval: +1,451
Gold Stars: 37
We're just lucky we put that spell together before New Year and the bottom 3 are as crap as we are. 5 at the back against 10 men, the man has no clue

I don't mind Roy Keane making £60,000 a week. I was making the same when I was playing. The only difference was I was printing my own - Mickey Thomas

The area you are trying to protect at corners is the goal - Chris Kamara

I once said Gazza's IQ was less than his shirt number and he asked me: What's an IQ? - George Best
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 13 - 76
Bigdog
January 27, 2018, 6:15pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.12
Rep Score: +36 / -1
Approval: +11,802
Gold Stars: 162
Quoted from promotion plaice

Dembele is highly overrated.....too lightweight for league 2 and no end product.

Nah.. he''ll be playing at least one or two leagues higher than the rest of the squad in either a week or six months..

A better manager than Slade and playing with better players will get a lot more out of him..
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 14 - 76
Mrs Doyle
January 27, 2018, 6:17pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.78
Rep Score: +22 / -13
Approval: +4,859
Bottom line is against ten men for over an hour we NEVER WORKED THEIR KEEPER ONCE.

We have strikers galore but the final ball is awful and apart from Summerfields excellent efforts from distance we created nothing.

Vernam looked superb in the first half but faded badly in the second half Dembele never really got going Zac mills looked good down the wing but the final ball was gash.

Klipp touched the free kick onto the bar and was unlucky it fell to their player to scramble it in other than that he did ok felt more assured with his kicking and distribution he's better than Kleen.

Slade is a desperate man but the played the team I would have played at the start and brought on the new lad Mallik who looks promising.

Problem is I think Mallik and Vernam have been brought in as Slade's get out of jail free cards nothing more.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 15 - 76
headingly_mariner
January 27, 2018, 6:55pm

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.98
Rep Score: +34 / -21
Approval: +10,403
Gold Stars: 124
Quoted from promotion plaice

Dembele is highly overrated.....too lightweight for league 2 and no end product.

Hahaha his career will be spent playing at a higher level than Town are.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 16 - 76
DaleGTFC
January 27, 2018, 7:04pm
Coke Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.01
Rep Score: +2 / -1
Approval: +79
Gold Stars: 2
John, your best mate running the place just isn't working.

The whole place is at conflict and Slade is not the answer. If he is still here next season I dread to think how many season ticket holders we'll have.

Lets not waste time John, just sack him now. You know you have too. It's gone on long enough.

This time next week Russ you can go back to climbing Mountains. Hopefully
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 17 - 76
headingly_mariner
January 27, 2018, 7:04pm

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.98
Rep Score: +34 / -21
Approval: +10,403
Gold Stars: 124
Completely lacking in cutting edge in the final third. Great effort first half hour from the players, but we looked absolutely terrified when they went down to ten men. The expection changed and the players crumbled.

When we needed to add quality we've added kids. Vernam is a good player, but has little help from those around him. An experienced striker takes a touch and shoots in Wilks position when through on goal. Wilks excrement himself and tried to square it. He looks pretty quick though and it's unfair to pin any blame on him. It's the same for Dembele, he's a winger in his first pro season and is easily our most talented player. He's had an injury and got 25 minutes. He didn't do a lot, but he will be inconsistent and we are expecting too much from players who aren't established pros.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 18 - 76
Gaffer58
January 27, 2018, 7:05pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.87
Rep Score: +6 / -8
Approval: +4,101
Gold Stars: 33
I am sorry but does Dembele look good because the rest are crap, he hasn't really won many games on his own. Also where are all these higher level clubs desperate to sign him. Unless Slade knows he's going before Wednesday that's why he's bringing in these proven goal scorers.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 19 - 76
8 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Just Back

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.