Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Just Back.
Users Browsing Forum
Googlebot and 74 Guests

Just Back.

This thread currently has 12,672 views. Print
8 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 Next All Recommend Thread
HertsGTFC
December 26, 2017, 9:27pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 4.25
Rep Score: +29 / -10
Approval: +23,029
Gold Stars: 232
Quoted from golfer
When Killip had the ball on 1 hand and their player headed it off it was not a foul. In this instance the referees inadequacies in giving us a free kick most likely saved us from an unfortunate defeat. He must have given 4 or 5 lectures  for minor fouls and let the more serious ones go.

Gary Crosby did it for Forest once and the goal stood.

"Crombie you would have got to that if you weren't such a fat ba%$@rd" - George Kerr, inspiration from the dug out 70s style  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 30 - 79
GrimRob
December 26, 2017, 9:29pm

Posts Per Day: 2.11
Rep Score: +76 / -34
Approval: +13,461
Gold Stars: 115
Quoted from BottesfordMariner
Rob I accept today we lost our keeper and Slade did the sensible thing in taking off Matt who was  becoming increasingly frustrated by the incompetence of the ref (that was going to only have 1 outcome).

But what does he do with his last substitution he withdraws Jones and kept Woolford on. Not saying Jones was great today either but Woolford was (once again) non existent. He had no impact on the game at all but he remained on the pitch for t he sole reason he kept his position and kept the team shape. Regardless that he was virtually an onlooker as the game passed him by.

No Slade was not going to make a positive substitution and maybe but Jaiseyimi  on for Woolford. Go for the win and bring on a player who actually make  a positive contribution. NO.. that would mean we might lose a bit a shape defensively and risk losing a goal. No best play it safe Slade. Hold on to the point eh.

I think hindsight plays a part in your comments. The score was 1-0 when he replaced Jones with Hooper. A like for like swap. Generally the strikers are both swapped as they do the most running and are the biggest impact players. It wasn't that negative a substitution as it was a like for like swap. He could have brought on a midfielder for a striker if he was trying to protect the lead. If he'd have waited 5 mins he might have kept Jones on, he probably would have done, if the score was 1-1.

'Tis better to have loved and lost than never to have loved at all.  
~ Alfred Lord Tennyson

Logged Offline
Site Private Message Skype
Reply: 31 - 79
FishOutOfWater
December 26, 2017, 9:37pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.14
Rep Score: +52 / -7
Approval: +6,578
Gold Stars: 37
Quoted from HertsGTFC

Gary Crosby did it for Forest once and the goal stood.

You're right he did... at least the Mansfield player didn't put the ball in the back of the net
Logged Offline
Private Message Skype
Reply: 32 - 79
Garth
December 26, 2017, 9:46pm

Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 1.91
Rep Score: +55 / -13
Approval: +4,936
Gold Stars: 27
Quote[b][/b]
Oh yeah forgot to add Jamey should be back on Saturday and has to feature, where do we play him & in what shape I wonder?
Man of the match again today, would have scored from distance but for a great save by the keeper.

According to Solihull`s manager,  Maidenhead`s team were queing up to kick him throughout the match, so the quicker he`s back the better
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 33 - 79
HertsGTFC
December 26, 2017, 9:57pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from Garth
Quote[b][/b]
Oh yeah forgot to add Jamey should be back on Saturday and has to feature, where do we play him & in what shape I wonder?
Man of the match again today, would have scored from distance but for a great save by the keeper.

According to Solihull`s manager,  Maidenhead`s team were queing up to kick him throughout the match, so the quicker he`s back the better

Agree completely, apparently he's played 5 games for them and won MOM for all 5. Exciting to think that we could have a team with talent like him and Dembelle in the staring line up, all we need is a striker who can find space and the pace of Tombola and who knows?  

"Crombie you would have got to that if you weren't such a fat ba%$@rd" - George Kerr, inspiration from the dug out 70s style  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 34 - 79
Tommy
December 26, 2017, 9:58pm
Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 1.21
Rep Score: +60 / -15
Approval: +8,869
Gold Stars: 76
Difficult to really argue with a draw being a fair result. We were the better side in the first half and should've doubled our lead, even in the 2nd half when Rose tried bundling it in, but Mansfield turned the screw and had long spells of pressure 2nd half. So for me, as frustrating as it was not to take all 3 points, a draw was a fair result.

First half we played the better football. Football being the key word as Mansfield looked to play one way and that was to launch it long at every opportunity. Rose with the composure in possession and Summerfield also receiving the ball well under pressure and looking to up the tempo and play forward. Jamille Matt was causing real problems for the Mansfield centre-backs, who both had a terrible time in the 1st half. The only issues we had 1st half was not adding to our lead, and we were conceding far too many free kicks, giving them the chance to lump it in our box (their centre half no.5 should've actually scored when it dropped to him on the volley in our box).

Their right back no.16 should've gone off as he pulled someone back when they went past him (Matt I think it was?) and in any other instance that's a yellow card but as it would've been his second, the ref didn't fancy it. Shocking really when you think of some of the other offences players were booked for. No surprise to see him hooked at half time.

Killip came on and the first thing you want a young debutant keeper making his debut to do is have an easy save/claim in the first few minutes to settle him down. He didn't have anything to do before half time other than collect a few headed back-passes. I reckon at half-time Evans got one of his staff to google him because 2nd half Mansfield did everything they could to intimidate him and get inside his head.

Second half Matt did well to engineer a chance for Rose, and although it looked to most like a miss, I actually think the defender cleared it against Rose's shins and it rolled just wide.

Then the ref had his influence on the game. Jamille Matt was spoken to about persistent fouling (you could see the ref pointing to 2 or 3 areas where he had committed "fouls") and then a minute later is booked for doing nothing but standing his ground. Another minute later and he challenges for the ball, gets something on it fairly, but their player goes down and 2 of their goons rush to the ref asking for a red card. Slade did the right thing bringing him off otherwise we'd have been playing with 10 the next time Matt breathed near one of their players.

This was the most instrumental moment in the game as Matt had been excellent up until that point and we lost the focal point of our attack. Vernon came on and we no longer had an outlet or anyone to keep hold of the ball when it went up. Vernon might have experience and gives his all but I really don't see what type of striker he is, and he was particularly poor in his 20 minutes today.

Killip did ok and was smartly and quickly off his line to dive at the feet of the forward who was running through. Their goal seemed to come from nothing despite them having 10 minutes of pinning us in our own half. Heard shouts of handball in the buildup but have to be honest I didn't notice anything at the time.

By the time they equalised Hooper had come on for Jones 5 minutes earlier which left us with no more subs to make. This was the GK sub that did for us as we desperately needed another sub here to give us back some impetus going forward to have another go for the 3 points. Dembele was knackered although he came alive a few times when he got the ball to go on decent runs.

Mansfield's momentum fizzled out 5 minutes before the end because we actually ended up having a spell pinning them back. Summerfield with a couple of great corners in, a clearance off their line and Rose looked to be pushed over in their box with nothing given.

Not a bad game overall that was quite open at times. We just lacked that change from the bench that could have a positive impact either when Matt went off, or later on once we'd lost the lead (I know we'd made 3 subs by then but point remains). I've said it repeatedly but I'd like to see Cardwell given opportunities (at least from the bench) as he could occupy defenders, be a mobile target, and he's got a bit of pace to force teams deeper or make something of hopeful balls. Aside from DJ on our bench today who most would agree would be in our strongest XI, it's such a slow bunch isn't it. I know pace isn't everything but you need a bit of mobility in your team.

Final thought: Ben Davies was excellent and looks very accomplished at left back.

"The greatest mistake you can make in life is to continually be afraid you will make one."
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 35 - 79
Grimal
December 26, 2017, 10:01pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.89
Rep Score: +19 / -5
Approval: +2,876
Gold Stars: 9
Quoted from golfer
When Killip had the ball on 1 hand and their player headed it off it was not a foul. In this instance the referees inadequacies in giving us a free kick most likely saved us from an unfortunate defeat. He must have given 4 or 5 lectures  for minor fouls and let the more serious ones go.

I think you are wrong there Golfer --
. " A goalkeeper in the act of distributing the ball may not be challenged under these circumstances.  (This includes trying to head a ball out of the goalkeeper's open hand or playing a ball being bounced or tossed into the air by the goalkeeper"

GOALKEEPER POSSESSION OF THE BALL
The goalkeeper is considered to be in control of the ball when the ball is held with both hands, held by trapping the ball between one hand and any surface (e.g., the ground, a goalpost, the goalkeeper’s body), or holding the ball in the outstretched open palm.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 36 - 79
Tommy
December 26, 2017, 10:02pm
Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 1.21
Rep Score: +60 / -15
Approval: +8,869
Gold Stars: 76
Quoted from golfer

That was correctly given as a foul. Goalkeepers don't have to have it in 2 hands as was the rule in the 70s. If they have in their control in one or two hands and a player knocks it out of their grasp it's a foul.

All that was, was another attempt from Mansfield at getting in Killip's head as a young debutant.

"The greatest mistake you can make in life is to continually be afraid you will make one."
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 37 - 79
HertsGTFC
December 26, 2017, 10:10pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from Tommy
Difficult to really argue with a draw being a fair result. We were the better side in the first half and should've doubled our lead, even in the 2nd half when Rose tried bundling it in, but Mansfield turned the screw and had long spells of pressure 2nd half. So for me, as frustrating as it was not to take all 3 points, a draw was a fair result.

First half we played the better football. Football being the key word as Mansfield looked to play one way and that was to launch it long at every opportunity. Rose with the composure in possession and Summerfield also receiving the ball well under pressure and looking to up the tempo and play forward. Jamille Matt was causing real problems for the Mansfield centre-backs, who both had a terrible time in the 1st half. The only issues we had 1st half was not adding to our lead, and we were conceding far too many free kicks, giving them the chance to lump it in our box (their centre half no.5 should've actually scored when it dropped to him on the volley in our box).

Their right back no.16 should've gone off as he pulled someone back when they went past him (Matt I think it was?) and in any other instance that's a yellow card but as it would've been his second, the ref didn't fancy it. Shocking really when you think of some of the other offences players were booked for. No surprise to see him hooked at half time.

Killip came on and the first thing you want a young debutant keeper making his debut to do is have an easy save/claim in the first few minutes to settle him down. He didn't have anything to do before half time other than collect a few headed back-passes. I reckon at half-time Evans got one of his staff to google him because 2nd half Mansfield did everything they could to intimidate him and get inside his head.

Second half Matt did well to engineer a chance for Rose, and although it looked to most like a miss, I actually think the defender cleared it against Rose's shins and it rolled just wide.

Then the ref had his influence on the game. Jamille Matt was spoken to about persistent fouling (you could see the ref pointing to 2 or 3 areas where he had committed "fouls") and then a minute later is booked for doing nothing but standing his ground. Another minute later and he challenges for the ball, gets something on it fairly, but their player goes down and 2 of their goons rush to the ref asking for a red card. Slade did the right thing bringing him off otherwise we'd have been playing with 10 the next time Matt breathed near one of their players.

This was the most instrumental moment in the game as Matt had been excellent up until that point and we lost the focal point of our attack. Vernon came on and we no longer had an outlet or anyone to keep hold of the ball when it went up. Vernon might have experience and gives his all but I really don't see what type of striker he is, and he was particularly poor in his 20 minutes today.

Killip did ok and was smartly and quickly off his line to dive at the feet of the forward who was running through. Their goal seemed to come from nothing despite them having 10 minutes of pinning us in our own half. Heard shouts of handball in the buildup but have to be honest I didn't notice anything at the time.

By the time they equalised Hooper had come on for Jones 5 minutes earlier which left us with no more subs to make. This was the GK sub that did for us as we desperately needed another sub here to give us back some impetus going forward to have another go for the 3 points. Dembele was knackered although he came alive a few times when he got the ball to go on decent runs.

Mansfield's momentum fizzled out 5 minutes before the end because we actually ended up having a spell pinning them back. Summerfield with a couple of great corners in, a clearance off their line and Rose looked to be pushed over in their box with nothing given.

Not a bad game overall that was quite open at times. We just lacked that change from the bench that could have a positive impact either when Matt went off, or later on once we'd lost the lead (I know we'd made 3 subs by then but point remains). I've said it repeatedly but I'd like to see Cardwell given opportunities (at least from the bench) as he could occupy defenders, be a mobile target, and he's got a bit of pace to force teams deeper or make something of hopeful balls. Aside from DJ on our bench today who most would agree would be in our strongest XI, it's such a slow bunch isn't it. I know pace isn't everything but you need a bit of mobility in your team.

Final thought: Ben Davies was excellent and looks very accomplished at left back.

Great write up Tommy, one that would not look out of place in the GET in the morning to be fair.

Agree about the pace, even though they where a lot better than us at Luton on Saturday like today there was enough opportunities to break but we just didn't have the pace, Cardwell or ultimately Bolarinwa could offer this but for it to work our all round support play or the ability to switch play quickly will need to improve............. Still think we are getting better and close to being half decent for this league.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 38 - 79
UFindusMariner
December 26, 2017, 10:16pm
Shandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.03
Rep Score: +1 / 0
Approval: +172
We are not far away, personally would like to see a left winger, left back and one more striker in. Davies has been superb at left back although would be nice to have a natural left footer in to balance the team out. The left winger would ideally be pacey, it is no coincidence that our form has improved since we went with Dembele/DJ out wide. A striker to be in and around Matt would be nice, someone making runs in behind.

Matt may not be the out and out scorer all fans crave but he does an incredible amount of running and is an effing nightmare to play against!

Osborne has to start or at least play a bit part when he is back, somdone who has plenty to their arsenal is so badly needed. He can tackle, has an engine and is creative. Who makes way for him?

We are roughly half way through now and Luton aside is there really another team in this league that look too good? I would argue not.

Big few weeks coming up, if we can stay around the PO pack by end of Jan then we have a real chance.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 39 - 79
8 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Just Back.

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.