Rob_in_Grimsby
August 2, 2017, 8:50pm
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.14
Rep Score: +8 / -3
Approval: +686
Gold Stars: 8
Quoted from Cloudy

I largely agree but didn't your pal say there was little difference between conference wages and Lge 2 other than 52 weeks against 40 ish?

I just feel the claims made by the club of 'competitive' and aiming for playoffs are misleading despite the fans getting behind the club with excellent season tkt sales

Current squad has mid table at best written all over it IMO. I appreciate the club talk about stabilising after 6 years outside the FL but I can't help thinking our perceived lack of ambition could come back to bite us on the bottom

Just the extra 12 weeks wages per player could take the budget up by over 200k a season so not a small difference in my book.
Making possibly a small loss instead of risking everything by blowing the budget and some in my book is not lack of ambition more cautious management,  As we don't know the actual budget of our club or at that matter every other club this is all speculation, Players don't come here for lots of reasons and I would think wages is not always the main factor.

moribus facit hominem
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 20 - 70
Mariner93er
August 2, 2017, 8:52pm
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.53
Rep Score: +9 / -4
Approval: +4,736
Gold Stars: 28
Quoted from friskneymariner

My thoughts exactly sometimes I don't think this club deserves the loyalty of the fans it gets and certainly take us for granted.

I'm sorry, but what has the funding got to do with fans loyalty. You can be as loyal as you like, but money doesn't grow on trees, and we have to operate within our means. Its worth noting, also, that the loyalty often goes into other clubs funds through away days.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 21 - 70
headingly_mariner
August 2, 2017, 8:52pm

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.98
Rep Score: +34 / -21
Approval: +10,403
Gold Stars: 124
Slade does his best work on a budget. He's got a real talent for getting unwanted players and making them into a decent side.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 22 - 70
sam gy
August 2, 2017, 9:01pm
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.33
Rep Score: +18 / -3
Approval: +5,481
Gold Stars: 56
Christ, when does the season start again?

We're a league two team, with average to good home attendances. We've been in the conference for 6 years.

Our budget will be what it will be. And we will always struggle to attract some players because of location, and because we are not a name club. A lot of players playing today were toddlers the last time we were in the championship, so don't think of us as a bigger club like we do. We've signed players from the leagues above us, I would imagine they will be on more than most of the players that left.

Have we ever been a club to splash the cash? I'd argue that Buckley's MK1 successful side was based on what people on here would claim to be 'bargain basement' transfer activity. Didn't stop us from being successful, did it?

I don't really care what our budget is-I trust we're spending what we can afford to spend and the management and players in the building will do as best as they can. And I'll be behind them 100%. UTM.

[img]https://scontent-lhr3-1.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-xla1/v/t1.0-9/12039761_10156639571185103_2884197968019429473_n.jpg?oh=184cac2706832a1b1dd4d6a0420a6f87&oe=574C5F4F[/img]
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 23 - 70
Cloudy
August 2, 2017, 9:06pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.13
Rep Score: +17 / -8
Approval: +6,431
Quoted from Rob_in_Grimsby

Just the extra 12 weeks wages per player could take the budget up by over 200k a season so not a small difference in my book.
Making possibly a small loss instead of risking everything by blowing the budget and some in my book is not lack of ambition more cautious management,  As we don't know the actual budget of our club or at that matter every other club this is all speculation, Players don't come here for lots of reasons and I would think wages is not always the main factor.

Don't think the handful of players who possibly were on conference contracts ( Pearson Gowling) would have cost us  an extra circa £200 k in additional payments tbh.

We don't know budgets but I would suggest it doesn't take a genius to believe that Cardwell, Dembele, Rose are not on top dollar for league two!

Off topic but more positive vibe and better marketing could bring in more cash which in turn could give better budget which possibly produces better results which usually brings higher gates. See where a positive outlook could potentially take us with little risk? Got to be better than cost cutting so staff sit in the cold and are demotivated

Instead we are doing well with season tickets despite PR gaffs and negativity, I just wonder what we could do with focussed positivity, imagination and drive.
Private Message
Reply: 24 - 70
friskneymariner
August 2, 2017, 9:07pm

Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.56
Rep Score: +15 / -4
Approval: +4,159
Gold Stars: 38
Quoted from Mariner93er

I'm sorry, but what has the funding got to do with fans loyalty. You can be as loyal as you like, but money doesn't grow on trees, and we have to operate within our means. Its worth noting, also, that the loyalty often goes into other clubs funds through away days.

If you had taken the effort to read Cloudy's comments you would understand the context of my comment.

Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day,teach a man to fish and you give him an excuse for him to escape from the wife and kids for the weekend and drink lots of beer.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 25 - 70
Mariner_09
August 2, 2017, 9:16pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.09
Rep Score: +19 / -13
Approval: +1,194
Gold Stars: 55
Somehow I expect Rose, Dembele, Cardwell and K. Osborne are on less than Dis, Chambers, Yussuf and Pearson were. I suspect Clarke, DC, Clements and Davies are our highest earners.

I've wasted my life in black and white, a pathetic act for a worthless cause
Private Message
Reply: 26 - 70
MuddyWaters
August 2, 2017, 9:23pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.59
Rep Score: +48 / -24
Approval: +32,291
Gold Stars: 236
Quoted from Mariner_09
Somehow I expect Rose, Dembele, Cardwell and K. Osborne are on less than Dis, Chambers, Yussuf and Pearson were. I suspect Clarke, DC, Clements and Davies are our highest earners.

Are you Psychic Sally?
Private Message
Reply: 27 - 70
ginnywings
August 2, 2017, 9:41pm

Recovering Alcoholic
Posts Per Day: 5.01
Rep Score: +88 / -32
Approval: +56,153
Gold Stars: 548
Does it really matter, or are some just finding reasons to beat the club with? Most league 2 signings are not very exciting, it's the nature of the beast. I don't know how people can come to the conclusion that the squad we have is mid table at best as we have no idea how they will perform over the season and no idea if and when we will add to the squad.

There was a time the season would end, we would forget about football for a couple of months, then see 2 or 3 signings announced in the Telegraph. Now it seems people want constant turnover of players and to be informed in all aspects of the running of the club. Just go down to BP and get behind the team. Most seasons are much of a muchness, with a good season every now and again, possibly a promotion. That's the reality of supporting a smallish league club, albeit one with a proud history of punching above it's weight.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 28 - 70
Swansea_Mariner
August 2, 2017, 10:01pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.61
Rep Score: +22 / -3
Approval: +6,481
Gold Stars: 63
I'm totally with Ginny on this.

We also haven't played anyone close to league 2 standard this preseason so who knows how we are going to do.

Let's reserve judgement on this squad until a dozen or so games, if we're miles away by then I guess we can say we were bargin bucket shopping. If we're close to the top then we can say we found some gems.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 29 - 70
8 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Budget

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.