forza ivano
August 1, 2017, 11:50pm

Exile
Posts Per Day: 2.46
Rep Score: +72 / -20
Approval: +15,297
Gold Stars: 266
Quoted from chaos33
That is a universal dismantling of Hooper from Vale. They can't all be wrong.

Northampton fans are hardly more charitable. BUT at both clubs he has been played out wide and both sets admit that they don't think it's his proper position,. Maybe if slade plays him down the middle we may get the best out of him, but I don't think you'd be staking your mortgage on it. Despite the lack of goals, the perceived lack of effort and ability I'm sure we will all get behind him if he does get that number 9 shirt, as is rumoured
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 70 - 137
MuddyWaters
August 2, 2017, 6:23am
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.59
Rep Score: +48 / -24
Approval: +32,291
Gold Stars: 236
Biggest issue is getting experienced striker (who has kids) to upship their family and move to this area.
Private Message
Reply: 71 - 137
Davec
August 2, 2017, 7:00am
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.16
Rep Score: +15 / -10
Approval: +1,455
Gold Stars: 42
We are seriously scraping the bottom of the barrel now it seems, here we are needing 2 strikers and here we are being linked with a 35 year old has been who didn't exactly do much for Bristol Rovers last season and a 23 year old who has been described as excrement and lazy who many Vale fans predicted to drop down to the conference or below.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 72 - 137
friskneymariner
August 2, 2017, 8:35am

Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.56
Rep Score: +15 / -4
Approval: +4,159
Gold Stars: 38
Quoted from Davec
We are seriously scraping the bottom of the barrel now it seems, here we are needing 2 strikers and here we are being linked with a 35 year old has been who didn't exactly do much for Bristol Rovers last season and a 23 year old who has been described as excrement and lazy who many Vale fans predicted to drop down to the conference or below.

As this is exactly how we ended up signing Vernon last season.It is now becoming a regular event that we start the season totally unprepared in the striker department.

Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day,teach a man to fish and you give him an excuse for him to escape from the wife and kids for the weekend and drink lots of beer.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 73 - 137
Jarmo.Is.God
August 2, 2017, 8:37am

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.98
Rep Score: +22 / -13
Approval: +6,050
Gold Stars: 86
How are we scraping the barrell?

The longer its left, the longer time another club has to buy a replacement.

We don't know whats going on behind the scenes!

Maybe we have an agreement with a club and a player already, but the club in question want us to wait until they have a replacement in?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 74 - 137
Tommy
August 2, 2017, 8:44am
Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 1.21
Rep Score: +60 / -15
Approval: +8,869
Gold Stars: 76
Maybe we should wait and see who we actually sign, before commenting how we're "scraping the barrel".

Rather than jumping to conclusions from a tweet by somebody we've never heard of saying we've got someone on trial.

"The greatest mistake you can make in life is to continually be afraid you will make one."
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 75 - 137
Mariner93er
August 2, 2017, 8:58am
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.53
Rep Score: +9 / -4
Approval: +4,736
Gold Stars: 28
What striker are people expecting? Any young striker that's already scoring goals is out of our radar. The best option is to find a non league goal scorer and hope we can develop them, who we actually already have in asante. So if he's back in September, we may as well look for someone a bit older with a good record such as revell.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 76 - 137
friskneymariner
August 2, 2017, 9:05am

Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.56
Rep Score: +15 / -4
Approval: +4,159
Gold Stars: 38
A new striker coming in 3 days before the season starts is not exactly good preparation.

Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day,teach a man to fish and you give him an excuse for him to escape from the wife and kids for the weekend and drink lots of beer.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 77 - 137
mariner91
August 2, 2017, 9:10am
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.64
Rep Score: +78 / -11
Approval: +19,808
Gold Stars: 262
Quoted from friskneymariner
A new striker coming in 3 days before the season starts is not exactly good preparation.

And I'm sure we're the only side in the division without the squad fully in place yet. It's not as though we don't have any strikers. We've got Vernon, Cardwell, Jones can play up there and unfortunately Asante is out injured. Personally I think IF we can get Asante fit then he'll take the division by storm but we have to get him fit first.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 78 - 137
ginnywings
August 2, 2017, 9:11am

Recovering Alcoholic
Posts Per Day: 5.01
Rep Score: +88 / -32
Approval: +56,153
Gold Stars: 548
The only thing i would add on the Hooper hate from PV, is that they have just had a relegation season after bouncing around League 1 for a while, not really doing much. They have had a fallow period and fans are venting, so i'd be inclined to judge him myself, should he be acquired of course.

I don't agree with the barrel scraping comments. RS said we were on the verge of a long loan deal the other day that failed at the last minute, so i imagine that has scuppered things somewhat. He also said Yussuf couldn't be guaranteed games, so he left, which says to me that we are looking for better than his standard. Cardwell looks a decent signing to me. Vernon has experience aplenty and is better than some give credit for. Jones can play there if necessary and he can score as we've seen. Asante to come back soon and one or two more signings on the horizon.

I suspect the expectations of some fans outweigh the realities of who and where we are in the grand scheme of things.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 79 - 137
14 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › New striker possibilities

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.