8 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 Next All Recommend Thread
TheRonRaffertyFanClub
May 10, 2017, 11:00am
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.34
Rep Score: +43 / -11
Approval: +8,658
Gold Stars: 23
Unfortunately we're still stuck with a few of Hurst & Bigobs poor decisions.It still sticks with me how we lost Amond and now Diz and see some of the names on the retained list.I do have faith however that Slade will inject some quality into the squad - he's not stupid enough to think he'll get far with this current list of retained players and it's his job as well at risk. A good goal poacher in the Amond mold would be a good start to new signings.

Amond scored 14 this season from 40 appearances including subs. Last season it was 30 from 41 games. In his two years at Morecambe he got 19 from 82 games. This would seem to confirm that Amond is a good NL striker but will struggle to do as well in L2. His problem is that goals are his game, he tries but he doesn't bring a lot else to the side creatively. The other thing is that some strikers do just have that one 'golden season'. It was the same with Connell wasn't it? He never repeated that success he had here first time round. So much as I liked Amond and we needed him last season I don't really think he could cut the mustard at the top end of this league.

One thing we do know about RS is that he likes pace in a team so I think he'll be looking for that in a striker and we might well see more of Vernon as the sort of foil to that. Also it depends on how Assante fairs with his injury but I think the manager will see him as a bonus player if it works out well.

Goalkeeper? No doubt McKeown is a good reaction keeper. He needs to be because the ball keeps coming back to him! That's the problem. He makes good saves but he doesn't command his area or his back 4 and he is inconsistent on balls into the box. Cloughie used to say that Peter Shilton was worth 10 points a season to Forest (and it was 2 points a win then) and that's why he was worth the money. We've see it at BP before with some class keepers we've had. Worth their weight in gold. Macca's a good lad but he ain't in that category.

“If all mankind minus one, were of one opinion, and only one person were of the contrary opinion, mankind would be no more justified in silencing that one person, than he, if he had the power, would be justified in silencing mankind.”
― John Stuart Mill, On Liberty."
Private Message
Reply: 30 - 77
Maringer
May 10, 2017, 11:02am
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.87
Rep Score: +60 / -12
Approval: +16,683
Gold Stars: 189
Quoted from Hagrid

thought he was excellent against plymouth tbh

No - he was so bad that he was included in the EFL team of the week.

If only we could have more players performing as poorly as this week-in, week-out.  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 31 - 77
HertsGTFC
May 10, 2017, 11:06am

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 4.25
Rep Score: +29 / -10
Approval: +23,021
Gold Stars: 232
I would like to see someone cleverlike Amond play off Vernon, one hold up man one Jonny on the spot.

"Crombie you would have got to that if you weren't such a fat ba%$@rd" - George Kerr, inspiration from the dug out 70s style  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 32 - 77
RichMariner
May 10, 2017, 11:09am
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.50
Rep Score: +42 / -4
Approval: +9,163
Gold Stars: 212
I think Slade will look to use McAllister next season, and I think Vernon will be in his plans too.

I hope he'll give Rhys Browne a chance because I really do think there's a player in there. If he can get the best out of him for 90 minutes, I think Tombola could be a very good outlet for us next season too.

Slade seems to be a fan of Berrett's versatility, so I imagine he'll be involved.

The contracted players who might worry about their role in the side next season, in my opinion, will be Yussuf, Boyce and Summerfield.

"Don't shine that light in my face, mate - I've just lost a pint of blood."
Logged Offline
Site Private Message
Reply: 33 - 77
ginnywings
May 10, 2017, 11:15am

Recovering Alcoholic
Posts Per Day: 5.01
Rep Score: +88 / -32
Approval: +56,153
Gold Stars: 548
Quoted from Hagrid

dont know if you are on twitter Ginny, but the things ex players have said about him is astounding, they all want to come back for his testimonial, Dis was clearly an absolute gentleman on and off the field

No, i'm not on Twitter but i can imagine his testimonial won't be short of players wanting to be involved.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 34 - 77
topuphere666
May 10, 2017, 11:30am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.18
Rep Score: +24 / -7
Approval: +1,843
Gold Stars: 3
Amond said he wants to be involved at the game!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 35 - 77
marinerjase
May 10, 2017, 11:30am
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.36
Rep Score: +31 / -1
Approval: +2,682
Gold Stars: 147
Re Amond...could be argued that 14 goals in a struggling side is a very good return.

Personally I also felt, at the time, we'd had the best of him and didn't think he'd do as well again - but I think he's done well again. Don't think he's a Slade 'type' and don't expect a return, but if he did then wouldn't be opposed.

Furthermore, wasn't jus his goals with us..he massively helped Bogle, and must be remembered had a spell out of side as PH wanted him to work harder for team

‘I just f*cking threw myself at it’

Mani D 23 May 2022
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 36 - 77
Posh Harry
May 10, 2017, 11:32am
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.56
Rep Score: +15 / -3
Approval: +4,376
Gold Stars: 36
I'm not one for speculation usually but the wording of the OS statement intrigues me.

So Danny Andrew has been offered a new contract and we are in negotiations with Shaun and Davies.

My guess would be that Danny has been offered a minimum 2 year deal. I would not be surprised if Shaun has been offered 1 year but has turned round to the club and said he wants 2 years. If that is that case then a. I don't blame him and b. I think he deserves it. Maybe that is why they are under negotiation.

As for Davies, well that could be a number of things but I doubt it can be length of contract at his age. So maybe we have offered him 1 year on a reduced wage to what he is currently earning (coming from Pompey he will probably be one of the higher paid players in the squad at the moment and RS sees him as either back up or not guaranteed regular first team football so salary should reflect that) or, and a bit more intriguing, I seem to remember that there was a lot of confusion last year and throughout the season as to whether he was originally on a one or two year deal. Maybe there was a third option in that it was one year with a clause for a second season. If he has played enough to trigger that clause, but RS does not see him as part of his plans, then is the negotiation around a pay off?

As I said at the beginning, I don't like speculating, but if you can't do it under these circumstances then when can you!

UTFM
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 37 - 77
oldun
May 10, 2017, 11:40am

Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.90
Rep Score: +57 / -5
Approval: +3,475
Quoted from Posh Harry
I'm not one for speculation usually but the wording of the OS statement intrigues me.

So Danny Andrew has been offered a new contract and we are in negotiations with Shaun and Davies.

My guess would be that Danny has been offered a minimum 2 year deal. I would not be surprised if Shaun has been offered 1 year but has turned round to the club and said he wants 2 years. If that is that case then a. I don't blame him and b. I think he deserves it. Maybe that is why they are under negotiation.

As for Davies, well that could be a number of things but I doubt it can be length of contract at his age. So maybe we have offered him 1 year on a reduced wage to what he is currently earning (coming from Pompey he will probably be one of the higher paid players in the squad at the moment and RS sees him as either back up or not guaranteed regular first team football so salary should reflect that) or, and a bit more intriguing, I seem to remember that there was a lot of confusion last year and throughout the season as to whether he was originally on a one or two year deal. Maybe there was a third option in that it was one year with a clause for a second season. If he has played enough to trigger that clause, but RS does not see him as part of his plans, then is the negotiation around a pay off?

As I said at the beginning, I don't like speculating, but if you can't do it under these circumstances then when can you!

UTFM

Yes, definately worded differently
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 38 - 77
Abdul19
May 10, 2017, 11:41am

Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 3.41
Rep Score: +71 / -26
Approval: +17,628
Gold Stars: 220
Quoted from marinerjase
Re Amond...could be argued that 14 goals in a struggling side is a very good return.

Personally I also felt, at the time, we'd had the best of him and didn't think he'd do as well again - but I think he's done well again. Don't think he's a Slade 'type' and don't expect a return, but if he did then wouldn't be opposed.

Furthermore, wasn't jus his goals with us..he massively helped Bogle, and must be remembered had a spell out of side as PH wanted him to work harder for team

Agree with that. And for comparison, it's the same amount of goals as Michael Reddy got in 05/06.

JESUS AT THE CENTRE
Private Message
Reply: 39 - 77
8 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › The retained list

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.