Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Big Job For Slade In The Summer?
Users Browsing Forum
No Members and 86 Guests

Big Job For Slade In The Summer?

This thread currently has 10,275 views. Print
7 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 Next All Recommend Thread
ginnywings
May 1, 2017, 11:15am

Recovering Alcoholic
Posts Per Day: 5.01
Rep Score: +88 / -32
Approval: +56,153
Gold Stars: 548
Quoted from LH
Yeah you will but there will be people who bought one last season for the first time in however long who will be mulling over whether to bother this year.

If we want to retain the inflated season ticket sales long term then there has to be attractive offers or incentives for the floating STHs.

I'd put myself in that category but the timing of the release won't make a difference to me. Neither will any promotion or incentives.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 50 - 66
barrattstandman
May 1, 2017, 12:10pm
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.14
Rep Score: +4 / -2
Approval: +483
Gold Stars: 17
It doesn't matter who we sign ,who we release or what offers there are who is the manager the thought should never enter your head if you are a Town fan. It amazes me that some people , even those I respected as a true fan even contemplate not buying one. Then again I've only been going since 1951 !

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 51 - 66
ginnywings
May 1, 2017, 12:27pm

Recovering Alcoholic
Posts Per Day: 5.01
Rep Score: +88 / -32
Approval: +56,153
Gold Stars: 548
So the only "true fans" are those that buy season tickets?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 52 - 66
MarinersOnTheUp
May 1, 2017, 12:40pm
Lager Top Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.06
Rep Score: +22 / -2
Approval: +484
Quoted from barrattstandman
It doesn't matter who we sign ,who we release or what offers there are who is the manager the thought should never enter your head if you are a Town fan. It amazes me that some people , even those I respected as a true fan even contemplate not buying one. Then again I've only been going since 1951 !

Am I not a true town fan then? I won't be renewing my season ticket because my new job means I'll be working some Saturdays - therefore it wouldn't be worth getting a season ticket when it would work out cheaper over the course of the season to just pay when I can attend. I will however still attend whenever possible.

If you're going to say that makes me less of a fan than you then I find that insulting.

As for 'I've been going since 1951' I'm sorry but don't pull that one out - it's not relevant. I started going to games in 2006, that doesn't make me any less of a fan because I've only been going for 11 years compared to your 68.

UTM
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 53 - 66
Marinerz93
May 1, 2017, 5:54pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.55
Rep Score: +89 / -11
Approval: +6,292
Gold Stars: 1
Quoted from MuddyWaters

Have we ever had the 'hair on the back of your neck standing up' signings that were promised?

Agree with the 7 or 8 signings post - but they have to improve on what we have, for example, a better keeper, a better centre back than Boyce/Pearson, more pace, preferably two goalscorers.

No we got bang average players because we couldn't compete with some of the non league teams regarding budget as Fenty stated back in non league. Which leads me to believe that the board will rely on Slade getting more out of players who are generally inconsistent to be more consistent than giving Slade a competitive war chest, I bet next seasons budget will be more like a foot locker as usual.

Supporting the Mighty Mariners for over 30 years, home town club is were the heart and soul is and it's great to be a part of it.

Jesus’ disciple Peter, picked up a fish to get the tribute money from it, Jesus left his thumb print on the fish, bless'ed is the Haddock.
Private Message
Reply: 54 - 66
KingstonMariner
May 1, 2017, 5:59pm
Meths Drinker
Posts Per Day: 6.02
Rep Score: +42 / -11
Approval: +23,440
Gold Stars: 218
Presumably putting them on sale early mens you get an earlier indication of your income and can plan budget earlier. And know who you can sign.

Through the door there came familiar laughter,
I saw your face and heard you call my name.
Oh my friend we're older but no wiser,
For in our hearts the dreams are still the same.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 55 - 66
HertsGTFC
May 1, 2017, 6:02pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 4.24
Rep Score: +29 / -10
Approval: +23,076
Gold Stars: 238
Quoted from Marinerz93

No we got bang average players because we couldn't compete with some of the non league teams regarding budget as Fenty stated back in non league. Which leads me to believe that the board will rely on Slade getting more out of players who are generally inconsistent to be more consistent than giving Slade a competitive war chest, I bet next seasons budget will be more like a foot locker as usual.

Its a good point, but will we ever really get to know what a manager has to work with? Also will a medium sized 4th division club ever attract what at our level could be termed marquee signings? Not sure to be honest.

As we have struggled to get a net 4,000 at BP in the last few weeks I think basing any playing budget on what we will get through the gates is a risk so RS might not see a massive amount for the Summer window but of we can get the gates up then he may have a bit to play with in Jan.

Oddly enough if we cant shift some of the 2 years deal players they may actually perform a bit better knowing they only have a year left.

"Crombie you would have got to that if you weren't such a fat ba%$@rd" - George Kerr, inspiration from the dug out 70s style  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 56 - 66
Cloudy
May 1, 2017, 8:05pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.13
Rep Score: +17 / -8
Approval: +6,431
Quoted from KingstonMariner
Presumably putting them on sale early mens you get an earlier indication of your income and can plan budget earlier. And know who you can sign.

I'd guess that any early income from season tickets would show in this years accounts ( Year end 31st May).

That income could increase our profit and potentially mean we have a tax bill that the ex Weaver Wroot grey man will advise against??
Private Message
Reply: 57 - 66
KingstonMariner
May 1, 2017, 8:25pm
Meths Drinker
Posts Per Day: 6.02
Rep Score: +42 / -11
Approval: +23,440
Gold Stars: 218
Quoted from Cloudy

I'd guess that any early income from season tickets would show in this years accounts ( Year end 31st May).

That income could increase our profit and potentially mean we have a tax bill that the ex Weaver Wroot grey man will advise against??

A very good point. But, it's a once only occurrence though and can't you offset profits in one year against losses in a couple of other recent years?

Through the door there came familiar laughter,
I saw your face and heard you call my name.
Oh my friend we're older but no wiser,
For in our hearts the dreams are still the same.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 58 - 66
The Yard Dog
May 2, 2017, 10:29am
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.43
Rep Score: +14 / -2
Approval: +3,522
Gold Stars: 74
Quoted from Marinerz93

No we got bang average players because [/b]we couldn't compete with some of the non league teams regarding budget as Fenty stated back in non league[b]. Which leads me to believe that the board will rely on Slade getting more out of players who are generally inconsistent to be more consistent than giving Slade a competitive war chest, I bet next seasons budget will be more like a foot locker as usual.

Just because we are GTFC does not mean that we should had the biggest budget while in the non league, during that period, there were other league clubs  (Luton, Wrexham, Bristol Rovers, Tranmere and Lincoln) trying to achieve the same goal.  Then you have the non league clubs being bank rolled (Crawley, Fleetwood, Forest Green, Eastleigh, Barrow) chasing the dream of league football.  The non-league is the hardest league to gain promotion with only 2 clubs being promoted.

We would have had a competitive budget this season, not the biggest nor the smallest.  We need to re-establish ourselves, which we have achieved this season, job done.

Mr Fenty is like Marmite you either love or hate him, but John is a GTFC fan like us. I like someone said on here the other day, with all the going ons at other clubs (Leyton Orient, Blackpool, Charlton, Blackburn, Cardiff, Coventry, Forest etc) at the moment, you appreciate John a bit more.

Chasing the dream, but at what cost, I know which I prefer.

Looking forward to next season already, why because I have black and white running my through veins.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 59 - 66
7 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Big Job For Slade In The Summer?

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.