Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Shortlist of 6
Users Browsing Forum
No Members and 90 Guests

Shortlist of 6

This thread currently has 61,453 views. Print
36 Pages Prev ... 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 ... Next All Recommend Thread
RichMariner
October 25, 2016, 3:55pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.50
Rep Score: +42 / -4
Approval: +9,171
Gold Stars: 212
Kettering, Scarborough and Boston.

Only three managers since the 80s have improved our league position during their time at the club, and they came from those clubs.

All non-league.

I'm not sure what the answer is, I don't have an idea who the best candidate is, and I don't envy the board's task.

However, while none of us enjoyed playing the likes of Welling and Woking week in, week out, we know from being in non-league that there's a strong desire from players and managers to get in the league and prove themselves, because they know what it's like to face up to reality.

It's a passion, a desire and a motivation that I sometimes don't see in those 'born into' the league.

Just because we 'escaped' non-league and feel like we should distance ourselves from it as much as possible (a totally natural reaction), we shouldn't overlook the nuggets of gold that can be found down there.

It's very easy to dismiss a non-league manager by saying 'he has no league experience', but neither did Buckley, Slade or Hurst.

"Don't shine that light in my face, mate - I've just lost a pint of blood."
Logged Offline
Site Private Message
Reply: 170 - 357
Cloudy
October 25, 2016, 4:05pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.13
Rep Score: +17 / -8
Approval: +6,431
Quoted from RichMariner

Only three managers since the 80s have improved our league position during their time at the club, and they came from those clubs.

All non-league.

I'm not sure what the answer is, I don't have an idea who the best candidate is, and I don't envy the board's task.

However, while none of us enjoyed playing the likes of Welling and Woking week in, week out, we know from being in non-league that there's a strong desire from players and managers to get in the league and prove themselves, because they know what it's like to face up to reality.

It's a passion, a desire and a motivation that I sometimes don't see in those 'born into' the league.

Just because we 'escaped' non-league and feel like we should distance ourselves from it as much as possible (a totally natural reaction), we shouldn't overlook the nuggets of gold that can be found down there.

It's very easy to dismiss a non-league manager by saying 'he has no league experience', but neither did Buckley, Slade or Hurst.

Totally agree with the sentiment but Buckley had managed in the league, and pretty successfully at Walsall
Private Message
Reply: 171 - 357
TownSNAFU5
October 25, 2016, 4:09pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.13
Rep Score: +30 / -21
Approval: +6,908
Gold Stars: 42
Some people are saying Adkins would not come here.  He did start off as a physio at Scunthorpe - and you cannot get much lower than that.   He has been grounded in grassroots football.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 172 - 357
Mallyner
October 25, 2016, 4:19pm
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.59
Rep Score: +9 / -2
Approval: +2,515
Gold Stars: 23
I have never been able to prove or disprove this, but somebody told me that Ronnie Moore definitely owns a house down North Sea Lane.

Supporting Town for 65 years.  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 173 - 357
October 25, 2016, 4:22pm
Guest User
Quoted from RichMariner

All non-league.

Alan Buckley certainly wasn't an out and out none league manager just because he was at Kettering before us. Prior to that he had managed Walsall in the Football League both as a caretaker player/manager and a permanent manager. With notable scalps at the Saddlers including the defeat of Arsenal in the League Cup at Highbury which resulted in the sacking of Gooners manager Terry Neil. In that season he got Walsall to the semi final of the cup, getting a much deserved draw at Anfield against Liverpool who had a team of 80's superstars in it.

Buckley was no "none league" management pedigree.

I grew up watching Buckley as a player at Walsall and as a manager. I can tell you there was many a tearful Saddlers fan when the new owner decided to bring his own manager Tommy Coakley with him.
Reply: 174 - 357
Mallyner
October 25, 2016, 4:24pm
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.59
Rep Score: +9 / -2
Approval: +2,515
Gold Stars: 23
Quoted from TownSNAFU5
Some people are saying Adkins would not come here.  He did start off as a physio at Scunthorpe - and you cannot get much lower than that.   He has been grounded in grassroots football.

Although I don't usually find anything amusing about Scunthorpe, I did like their chant when they played Chelsea in the cup in about 2005. 'You have Mourino and we have our Physio.'

Supporting Town for 65 years.  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 175 - 357
AdamHaddock
October 25, 2016, 4:24pm

Main Stander
Posts Per Day: 1.26
Rep Score: +37 / -5
Approval: +2,842
Gold Stars: 26
People were linking Rob Edwards with the job. You can forget him for now as he is caretaker manager at Wolves

[img]https://images.app.goo.gl/bymuz36koLHofSn79[/img]
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 176 - 357
GrimRob
October 25, 2016, 4:34pm

Posts Per Day: 2.11
Rep Score: +76 / -34
Approval: +13,468
Gold Stars: 115
Quoted from TownSNAFU5

He actually had a brief spell as a non-league manager before he trained as a physio and got a job at Scunny

'Tis better to have loved and lost than never to have loved at all.  
~ Alfred Lord Tennyson

Logged Offline
Site Private Message Skype
Reply: 177 - 357
RoboCod
October 25, 2016, 4:49pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.90
Rep Score: +70 / -19
Approval: +7,505
Adkins took the place of a manager (Brian Laws) who was unpopular with his own fans and left (sacked) straight after giving them promotion.

Apart from the sacked bit, just some things that might make Adkins feel at home in Hursts old position

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 178 - 357
Lincoln Mariner 56
October 25, 2016, 4:50pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.61
Rep Score: +23 / -4
Approval: +7,784
Gold Stars: 82
I think all the comments demonstrate what a precarious job choosing a Manager can be, guy at Bristol Rovers done well in his first job as has the new Manager at Luton whilst experienced guys like Terry Butcher and Tony Mowbray failed miserably at these lower level clubs.

I would not have had Hasselbaink down as a good appointment for Burton but that worked out. Ince when he was first in management was a success so I am sure others will be, just finding them and getting the genuine guys not the bull shitters which is not easy as I am sure they all talk a good game.

Many at Town forget Tom casey but he was, if memory serves me right, the one who started playing many of the grimsby own grown talent & youth with Ford, Donovan & Young but Newman & then Kerr reaped the rewards. Similarly, McMenemy took over a team Bobby Kennedy put together & we will never know if bob would have been as successful in that 71/72 season as i recall we finished previous season quite well.

Dont envy JF on this one.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 179 - 357
36 Pages Prev ... 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 ... Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Shortlist of 6

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.