5 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 Next All Recommend Thread
Madeleymariner
September 28, 2016, 12:27am

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.01
Rep Score: +23 / -15
Approval: +3,074
Gold Stars: 52
Just seen Bogles pen, really well placed keeper nowhere near it even though he went the right way.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 30 - 44
Mrbusdriver
September 28, 2016, 2:35am

Beer Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.07
Rep Score: +8 / 0
Approval: +70
Quoted from Mariner_09
My MOM was Shaun Pearson, looking more like the Shaun Pearson who was as solid as a rock for 3 years in the Conference before being dropped. Andrew (who I have been critical of) looked better tonight with Chambers in front of him who probably gives him more protection than Vose does, but was still susceptible to some poor defensive decisions.

Collins, absolutely what was required. Reassuring, commanding, organises the defence excellently and looks very composed on the ball. I thought Davies did well again, was solid if unspectacular.

Comley looks like a player to me. A good combination of footballing quality and bite in the midfield, he reads the game well for a 20 year old and can play incisive passes also. Summerfield also played well for me, he's a proper footballer along with a bit of energy, what we've needed for a while.

Vose looked threatening in the first half but his finally ball was often (not always) but often lacking and in the second half he was almost anonymous but still carries a threat.

Bogle, needed the ref to calm him down to get his game going and his hold up and build up was excellent as it has been all season and on another day that ridiculous touch, swivel, shoot would have gone in. He still needs to keep his head right though. He still flaps his arms around and shrugs his shoulders when it's not going for him.

And also Jackson was much the same as Saturday if a bit more threatening but he needs a goal for some confidence desperately.

Overall, excellent, if lucky result. Didn't see the challenge on Tombola but there weren't many protests. Tombola also comes in for Chambers on Saturday for me. They did play like a conference side with long balls and game based on set plays and long throws (which were dangerous incidentally) but Pearson and Collins are very good in the air and didn't appear especially panicked by any of them.

I thought tonight had 0-1, Jon Parkin, written all over it but I am pleasantly surprised.

Thanks for this. Before I get to watch the game, trust your write ups. You have a good understanding of football mate.

[url=http://avatars.jurko.net][img]http://img1.jurko.net/avatar_3629.gif[/img][/url]
[url=http://avatars.jurko.net][img]http://img1.jurko.net/avatar_5619.gif[/img][/url]
[url=http://avatars.jurko.net][img]http://img1.jurko.net/avatar_18128.gif[/img][/url]
[url=http://avatars.jurko.net][img]http://avatars.jurko.net/uploads/avatar_22656.gif[/img][/url]
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 31 - 44
psgmariner
September 28, 2016, 6:54am

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.69
Rep Score: +39 / -15
Approval: +5,480
Gold Stars: 33
Comley was my man of the match. He was everywhere and for a defensive midfielder he is very skillful. Him and Vose were brilliant at slowing the game down and keeping possession.

Private Message
Reply: 32 - 44
Davec
September 28, 2016, 7:22am
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.16
Rep Score: +15 / -10
Approval: +1,455
Gold Stars: 42
Well this is the sort of game we often struggle with Isn't it, we've seen it time and time again when teams park the bus at Blundell Park we often come unstuck, especially in the conference, so I'm particularly pleased to come away with this one with all 3 points.

First, as mentioned previously we played some excellent attacking play but lacked the final ball all to often because Newport had some many men behind the ball, Vose and Bogle forced their keeper into a few saves down low, and other than Summerfields daisy cutter and Andrew's ball which Jackson got caught unprepared there wasn't much of note.

2nd half was very hit and miss, again only one team to come out and play football but as time went on it got very frustrating, I could see the players and the management getting frustrated, Bogle's tremendous instant turn and shot deserved a goal and their keeper made a terrific save, Bolarinwa made an instant impact when he came on, he looks leggy, but once he gets going, he's got a ridiculous amount of pace which will frighten any defender at any level, his final ball is sometimes lacking so I'm just wondering if he's better off cutting inside getting into the box causing mass panic and drawing fouls, rather than attempting to cross? Anyway he did expertly well to rescue a poor Vose ball, got a foot on it right on the line, his momentum carried him forward into the stand nearly, taking the corner flag out in the process, he got back up, robbed the ddefender, surged inside and ended up drawing a foul, and Bogle slotted the penalty away with aplomb for his 9th of the season

Mckeown controlled his box very very well, better than I've ever seen from him.

Collins and Pearson looked solid, Collins has made our defence much better, Comley was my MOTM, covered every blade of grass, his passing was excellent, shows good spacial awareness, he was outstanding.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 33 - 44
1mickylyons
September 28, 2016, 7:35am
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.53
Rep Score: +42 / -14
Approval: +9,393
Gold Stars: 56
A grinding 1-0 win which in the past we would have drawn or lost Newport came for a point and set up accordingly and caused us problems ONLY with the long throw.I thought Town passed the ball quite well til the final pass then we seemed to over hit the pass if we can keep it tight at the back in the next 4 games that table could be very interesting?UTM
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 34 - 44
oldun
September 28, 2016, 7:48am

Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.90
Rep Score: +57 / -5
Approval: +3,475
As PH has said, there are no easy games and this was a case in point. Newport had a game plan carried it out quite well, but apart from relying on Parkin, long throws and corners they offered little. At the other end they made it difficult for us. We kept going, playing some quality approach play at times, but could not find that final telling pass. The whole team put a lot of effort and skill in. I was really impressed by Comely, he bossed the central midfield, hunting down the ball and setting up our play. I see such potential for him. I also thought Summerfield had his best game for us. Apart from a couple of stray passes he was excellent. Really impressive how he managed to up the anti towards the end when they were throwing everyone forward. He was everywhere. Need to find goals from other players though, not just Bogle.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 35 - 44
arryarryarry
September 28, 2016, 9:46am
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.71
Rep Score: +26 / -28
Approval: +10,052
Gold Stars: 117
Quoted from oldun
As PH has said, there are no easy games and this was a case in point. Newport had a game plan carried it out quite well, but apart from relying on Parkin, long throws and corners they offered little. At the other end they made it difficult for us. We kept going, playing some quality approach play at times, but could not find that final telling pass. The whole team put a lot of effort and skill in. I was really impressed by Comely, he bossed the central midfield, hunting down the ball and setting up our play. I see such potential for him. I also thought Summerfield had his best game for us. Apart from a couple of stray passes he was excellent. Really impressive how he managed to up the anti towards the end when they were throwing everyone forward. He was everywhere. Need to find goals from other players though, not just Bogle.

To be honest, did we actually offer that much more apart from the two long range shots, I thought it was a poorish game and we lacked width again until Bolarinwa came on.

Newport especially first half looked worse that many teams in the National League, although they improved a bit second half, if it wasn't for that daft challenge by their left back they would have gone away with a point.

I just feel that having Vose on the left who slows the game down too much for me and vary rarely tries to get past the full back and Chambers who doesn't seem capable of getting past the full back, we aren't getting the ball into the penalty area enough for me.

We are looking more solid as a defensive unit, I just wish we could put more pressure where it matters.
Private Message
Reply: 36 - 44
Theimperialcoroner
September 28, 2016, 9:52am

Posts Per Day: 1.05
Rep Score: +47 / -4
Approval: +5,302
Gold Stars: 103
Not been to a game for a few weeks and was impressed.
Hit the post twice, their keeper pulls off an outrageous save and we looked to play swift attacking football.
Macca was much better in the air and he had to be. Pearson and Collins remind me of Lever and Handyside, a wall and a football combination. Vose looks fitter and bloody good. And then Bogle, the way he has finally learnt he can put himself about and be horrible to play against is the biggest positive of all. This means he's added that to his natural skills and we look to have a player on our hands. Enjoy him whilst we can as he'll be gone soon and hopefully we'll be very well compensated for that loss. There are plenty of teams who need to take that sort of gamble.

Batch, Crombie, Moore K, Wiggington, Cumming, Waters, Bonnyman, Ford, Emson, Drinkell, Whymark. Love you all, You are the reason I'm on here. You've had help from Todd, Handyside, Futcher P, Groves, Mendonca, Macca etc etc etc. Up The Mariners!!!!!!!!!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 37 - 44
The Yard Dog
September 28, 2016, 9:59am
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.43
Rep Score: +14 / -2
Approval: +3,521
Gold Stars: 74
We have to remember that is a entire new team that has been assembled by PH, that has only played 10 league games together and in some cases just a few games.  The fact they have gelled together quite quickly is a bonus, yes they are missed passes and a lack of understanding at times, however the more they play together the better the understanding and positioning.

At present it good being a GTFC fan, exciting times lay ahead, lets take it a game at a time and enjoy the ride.

Its nice to see a up beat fishy these days, good points and opinions without pages of crap and bickering.

UTM
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 38 - 44
acko338
September 28, 2016, 11:41am
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.83
Rep Score: +44 / -6
Approval: +3,213
Gold Stars: 33
A string of good results to keep up from now onwards, starting with Saturday.

I believe that Bolinwara will develop and become a key player as the season progresses, with pace on the wing, opening up opponents in later periods of games - the move up will still take some adjusting for him and we will see the benefit in later games as he learns the trade at a higher level than before.

The competition for squad places is excellent at the moment, and if Diz is struggling to get a first team place, then Hurst MUST be pleased with how the team is developing for this level.

Diz will still feature as will Gowling once fit again, but the standard is now being set - "I'm in the team - you've got to displace me" attitude.

If Collins has given Macca his "confidence mojo" back, then the defense can become really mean and hence the rest of the team have less to make up for in the "goals for" section.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 39 - 44
5 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Just back

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.