September 24, 2016, 8:00pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.70
Rep Score: +69 / -22
Approval: +20,325
Gold Stars: 229
3 points......
Not stylish....
Determined defensively but pretty poor in possession especially second half...was crying out for someone to put their foot on the ball.
Surrendered ground as the game wore on but thankfully Mansfield, although strong and quick in most areas, were also sh1t too.
Two performances were we have struggled now...just managed to defend better this week.

2023/24 DLWDDWDLLLWDLLLLWDDDWDLLWLDLLDWDDWLLDWLWLWL but not NLN 😁
2022/23LDWDWWDWLLDWWDLLLDLWLLWLWLLWDDLDWWDDDLLWDWLWLW
2021/22 WDWWWWDLWWWWLLLWLLDLWLLWWDWWWLWDLWWDWWWDLWD play offs WWW Promoted 🥳
2020/21  LLDWWLDLDWLWLLLDLWLLDLLDLLLWLLLDDDDWDDDLWLWLWL .. hello darkness my old friend
2019/20  WDLDWWLDLWWLLLDLDLDLDDWWDLLWDDWWL WLLW - ended
2018/19  LWDDLLLLLLWWDWLLLWDWLWWWWLLLLWWWWDLLLDDLLDLWLW Hello Scunny  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 30 - 44
sydney
September 24, 2016, 8:33pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.28
Rep Score: +9 / -2
Approval: +1,009
Gold Stars: 3
Just back (went to Meadowhell afterwards as good lady in attendance)
Great performances Pearson Collins Andrew Davies Macca Summerfield better
And as always so proud to be part of the fans week after week especially  at end of game what an ovation
But
We weren't that good overall but we did manage to stifell stags who offered  less and less as game went on (great off the line clearance by Davies)
PH will know we can do better maybe dis can offer us some of that midfield bite we lacked today
Anyway great day again 3 Points so happy
Roll on Tuesday
Come on Town!!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 31 - 44
HertsGTFC
September 24, 2016, 8:38pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 4.24
Rep Score: +29 / -10
Approval: +23,030
Gold Stars: 232
Quoted from moosey_club
3 points......
Not stylish....
Determined defensively but pretty poor in possession especially second half...was crying out for someone to put their foot on the ball.
Surrendered ground as the game wore on but thankfully Mansfield, although strong and quick in most areas, were also sh1t too.
Two performances were we have struggled now...just managed to defend better this week.

We have that player ....put Vose inside!

"Crombie you would have got to that if you weren't such a fat ba%$@rd" - George Kerr, inspiration from the dug out 70s style  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 32 - 44
Mariner_09
September 24, 2016, 8:50pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.09
Rep Score: +19 / -13
Approval: +1,194
Gold Stars: 55
Now that was Paul Hurst, Grimsby Town away performance. Solid defensively, pinch a goal that we may or may not deserve. Looked like a definite pen and needless challenge by their keeper.

Davies was easily the MOM from the sliding clearance in the first 5 minutes when Andrew had gone awol to the challenge he put in on 90+4. He won everything and his positioning was superb.

Pearson was very good after the first 20 minutes as Green gave him the run around and pulled him out wide and did him on numerous occasions. After we scored he didn't threatean us as we seemed control the game better. After that he won everything and the defence as a whole looked solid and dominant.

I thought Omar had another excellent game, he worried defenders and can do things with the ball at his feet that most professional footballers can't even attempt. Jackson looked low on confident in front of goal and he didn't quite frighten his man with out right pace as his legs didn't seem to work properly.

All in all, we defended as well as I'd seen and I don't think the inclusion of the extremley composed and commanding Collins are mutually exclusive. However we didn't threaten as much as in previous weeks but we looked more cohesive.

I've wasted my life in black and white, a pathetic act for a worthless cause
Private Message
Reply: 33 - 44
KingstonMariner
September 25, 2016, 10:01am
Meths Drinker
Posts Per Day: 6.03
Rep Score: +42 / -11
Approval: +23,440
Gold Stars: 218
The noise from the Town fans sounded brilliant - better on that young Mansfield fan's vlog than it did on Groundhopper's despite (or because of?) him being amongst it.

Through the door there came familiar laughter,
I saw your face and heard you call my name.
Oh my friend we're older but no wiser,
For in our hearts the dreams are still the same.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 34 - 44
Tinymariner
September 25, 2016, 12:16pm

Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.74
Rep Score: +30 / -2
Approval: +1,456
Gold Stars: 12
PH showed yesterday that he too is learning from his mistakes. Previously he would have put an extra defender on with 10 minutes to go which would invite further pressure and possibly concede a late equaliser. Instead, he put Vernon on to hold the ball upfront, without attacking for another goal and possibly losing it and conceding. I'm not a fan of Vernon but I can see the reasons for the change. Great win, UTM.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 35 - 44
Tangerine Chris
September 25, 2016, 2:43pm
Old git with a sense of humour
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.18
Rep Score: +9 / -4
Approval: -24

IF YOU PLAY FOR THE BADGE ON THE FRONT OF YOUR SHIRT
THEY WILL REMEMBER THE NAME ON THE BACK OF IT

You can change your wife, your house, your car, but you can never change your team.
Chairmen come and go, boards come and go, but the fans remain.
They are the one true constant

Eddie Thompson OBE
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 36 - 44
MuddyWaters
September 25, 2016, 2:59pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.59
Rep Score: +48 / -24
Approval: +32,291
Gold Stars: 236
Quoted from HertsGTFC

We have that player ....put Vose inside!

I'd prefer Berrett there myself. He is not a wide player but looked ever so comfortable on the ball in centre mid.
Private Message
Reply: 37 - 44
Maringer
September 25, 2016, 11:08pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.87
Rep Score: +60 / -12
Approval: +16,699
Gold Stars: 189
Quoted from Tangerine Chris

Clearly not a game of many chances!

Definite penalty, mind. Not sure what their keeper was thinking, mind, but you can't complain too much and it was an emphatic penalty from Bogle. I like to see them hit quite hard.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 38 - 44
Mrbusdriver
September 26, 2016, 12:14am

Beer Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.07
Rep Score: +8 / 0
Approval: +70
Quoted from MuddyWaters

I'd prefer Berrett there myself. He is not a wide player but looked ever so comfortable on the ball in centre mid.

I agree he looks comfortable but I've yet to see no look passing , round the corners, through the gate , above avarage attacking awareness , Vose can put his foot on the ball and while his tempo is stopped , he still keeps the momentum of the threat of a goal alive. While he can do a decent job as an inside forward, I understand why he needs to be played in the advance player role.

Find him and the team find the goal , if played high centrally , go and study the footage on MP and tell me I'm wrong.  Move what his doing with your imagination into 40 yard radios of 18 yard box and you will notice in doing so , that every option becomes playable , with his ability , he can unlock these defenders , so from my view and my own perception , I understand why this comment was made and agree that his a key that if used in that role , will unlock teams for fun. Drawing fouls, strength on ball, passing ability . Ect ect
But PH already knows this and will move him soon if he thinks it's for good of team, I trust PH to do what's best,  so while I wish to see this myself happen , I don't care if it don't , other pictures are going on , example defending from the front, pace and running at players to create openings, so you can't argue really, but the game is named football for a reason and if you have the ability to play so close to goal by doing so , I want that as its more exciting to see, time will tell but I understand why it's been mentioned to put him there.

I'm adding to this becuase by playing Vose there we lose our ability to defend , effectively up front, so it's possible a 20 min system maybe 30 mins, while chambers is great at getting down the flanks and is played as a winger and Davis , over laps and they complement each other, the ball can't be crossed in unless we have a defender making a run into the box to back up bogle, Vose can't jump to header , he will be bullied in the air, Jackson I don't think either is strong enough in the air so we lose something if we ever played him there, I did write about 4-2-3-1 which would counter the loss of another striker upfront 4-4-2 diamond formation won't allow the roles of inside forwards to be played effectively and crossing from both flanks just to bogle will be I think pot luck. The percentages would not warrant this type of game for 90 mins in a 4-4-2 formation hence 4-2-3-1 so the flanks get used and cutting inside with your advanced player always hunting the space to receive works I'm waiting for my brain to give me another workable system and it will as the more games I see the more pictures I'll get as to what I think the team can pull off, anyway it's not as simple as saying just chuck Vose in behind bogle to hunt space and receive there lots going on and the other team are also pros and switched on to any weakness they sniff PH is doing a good job thus far in my book and the balance is ok but some teams will shut us down as they have the right pros to do it effectively. 4-2-3-1 though I think we could be very dangerous. But I'm no expert. Just a fan and want the best system to finish in playoffs for us. I'm not just happy with get to 50 points when I see our potential.

[url=http://avatars.jurko.net][img]http://img1.jurko.net/avatar_3629.gif[/img][/url]
[url=http://avatars.jurko.net][img]http://img1.jurko.net/avatar_5619.gif[/img][/url]
[url=http://avatars.jurko.net][img]http://img1.jurko.net/avatar_18128.gif[/img][/url]
[url=http://avatars.jurko.net][img]http://avatars.jurko.net/uploads/avatar_22656.gif[/img][/url]
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 39 - 44
5 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Just back

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.