Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Non Football › What's your taste in music then?
Moderators: Moderator
Users Browsing Forum
Connecticut Mariner and 12 Guests

What's your taste in music then?

This thread currently has 85,263 views. Print
98 Pages Prev ... 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 ... Next All Recommend Thread
Nelly GTFC
August 28, 2021, 10:13pm
'Usually Positive'
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.84
Rep Score: +26 / -5
Approval: +2,776
Gold Stars: 31
Found a right gem, it has an 80s new wave vibe to it. Released last year by US synthwave band - The Midnight.

Performance / Top Scorers / Assists / Discipline - Grimsby Town Statistics >> https://www.espn.co.uk/football/team/squad/_/id/386/eng.grimsby
Form Over Last 10 Games - Grimsby Town >> https://www.footballwebpages.co.uk/grimsby-town/form-guide/ten
Player Contracts - Grimsby Town >> http://codalmighty.com/site/ca.php?article=4202
Links on football clubs inc Grimsby Town >> https://footballclubforums.com/
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 750 - 977
KingstonMariner
August 29, 2021, 12:04am
Meths Drinker
Posts Per Day: 6.03
Rep Score: +42 / -11
Approval: +23,440
Gold Stars: 218
Enjoyed that Nelly. Thanks. I’m not getting the 80s thing but I’m getting a Y2K vibe off it. But that just goes to show music is so personal.

Through the door there came familiar laughter,
I saw your face and heard you call my name.
Oh my friend we're older but no wiser,
For in our hearts the dreams are still the same.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 751 - 977
KingstonMariner
August 29, 2021, 12:36am
Meths Drinker
Mix of traditional, with mid-20th c dance music, with a touch of hiphop. And pretty girls. Ihana bändi!

Kulkuri is a tramp and jenkka is a type of dance.

Sorry for the Runaway flashback.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 752 - 977
cmackenzie4
September 3, 2021, 6:26am

Recovering Alcoholic
Posts Per Day: 11.23
Rep Score: +130 / -10
Approval: +14,345
Gold Stars: 34

Grimsby and proud!
Private Message
Reply: 753 - 977
cmackenzie4
September 3, 2021, 6:27am

Recovering Alcoholic
Posts Per Day: 11.23
Rep Score: +130 / -10
Approval: +14,345
Gold Stars: 34

Grimsby and proud!
Private Message
Reply: 754 - 977
ginnywings
September 3, 2021, 5:20pm

Recovering Alcoholic
Posts Per Day: 5.01
Rep Score: +88 / -32
Approval: +56,153
Gold Stars: 548
Heard this on Radio Scotland and it took me back. They were a good band as this live version attests.

You'll have to forgive the brief appearance at the end by an absolute despicable coont.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 755 - 977
Manchester Mariner
September 3, 2021, 8:03pm

Exile
Posts Per Day: 0.51
Rep Score: +11 / -3
Approval: +2,822
Gold Stars: 41
Quoted from Sandford1981

Moving words.
Listening to that after reading your post as a frame of reference gave it extra poignancy.
From my own point of view once the rawness and pain have numbed or eased the songs we hear at the funerals of people close to us, have a bittersweet effect on me.

At my uncle's funeral Two Hearts by Phil Collins got played and in an unlikely fashion for myself and the music of Phil Collins it pretty much destroyed me for those very poignant reasons. It was just my Auntie and Uncles 'their song' but became something else at his funeral.

I always like to see funerals as celebrations of a life although I suppose the reason and timing of someones passing is more relevant in whether it's a celebration or more of a trying event. I thought about my coffin being walked in soundtracked by Atmosphere by Russ Abbott to give people a laugh but I think I'm set on Do You Realize by Flaming Lips, on my mind the ultimate death song with a blunt but happy message.

Better than the more usual funeral song choices of Comfortably Numb by Pink Floyd or Everybody  Hurts by REM in my opinion.

"Lovelly stuff! not my words but the words of Shakin Stevens."
Private Message
Reply: 756 - 977
Sandford1981
September 4, 2021, 7:55am
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.97
Rep Score: +11 / 0
Approval: +2,097
Gold Stars: 59
Quoted from Manchester Mariner

At my uncle's funeral Two Hearts by Phil Collins got played and in an unlikely fashion for myself and the music of Phil Collins it pretty much destroyed me for those very poignant reasons. It was just my Auntie and Uncles 'their song' but became something else at his funeral.

I always like to see funerals as celebrations of a life although I suppose the reason and timing of someones passing is more relevant in whether it's a celebration or more of a trying event. I thought about my coffin being walked in soundtracked by Atmosphere by Russ Abbott to give people a laugh but I think I'm set on Do You Realize by Flaming Lips, on my mind the ultimate death song with a blunt but happy message.

Better than the more usual funeral song choices of Comfortably Numb by Pink Floyd or Everybody  Hurts by REM in my opinion.

An absolutely brilliant song!
At my Nanas funeral she just had her 3 of her favourite songs played, 2 of which were jovial novelty tracks which were ‘The Lion Sleeps Tonight’ and ‘ Summer Holiday’. Because they were not typical funeral choices the mix of laughing through tears really hit home.
A bittersweet and strange contrast but her 3rd track was ‘Distant Drums’ by Jim Reeves. I’d never heard it before but it doesn’t half have a haunting effect on me. It was the last song and after the first two, and it hit me like a hammer.

“I know writers who use subtext and they’re all cowards.” –Garth Marenghi
Private Message
Reply: 757 - 977
DB
September 4, 2021, 8:08am
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 15.36
Rep Score: +13 / -13
Approval: +4,065
Gold Stars: 391
Quoted from Sandford1981

At my Nanas funeral she just had her 3 of her favourite songs played, 2 of which were jovial novelty tracks which were ‘The Lion Sleeps Tonight’ and ‘ Summer Holiday’. Because they were not typical funeral choices the mix of laughing through tears really hit home.
A bittersweet and strange contrast but her 3rd track was ‘Distant Drums’ by Jim Reeves. I’d never heard it before but it doesn’t half have a haunting effect on me. It was the last song and after the first two, and it hit me like a hammer.

It's amazing what effects songs have on us especially when heard out of the context they were written for. I have a similar feeling when I hear 'Abide with me' which was at my father's funeral.

You can please some of the forumites some of the time but not all the forumites all of the time
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 758 - 977
KingstonMariner
September 4, 2021, 11:57pm
Meths Drinker
Quoted from Sandford1981

I'm sure we would have had a Jim Reeves track at my mum's funeral if we'd been able to have a proper one, but sadly it was last April.

She used to play Jim Reeves LPs when doing the ironing years ago. I remember Distant Drums. And the classic 'Little ole dime' (please don't disappoint me...).

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 759 - 977
98 Pages Prev ... 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 ... Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Non Football › What's your taste in music then?

Thread Rating
There is currently no rating for this thread

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.