3 Pages Prev 1 2 3 Next All Recommend Thread
KingstonMariner
February 14, 2016, 11:02am
Meths Drinker
Posts Per Day: 6.01
Rep Score: +42 / -11
Approval: +23,440
Gold Stars: 218
I tend to agree Maringer. Stupid, stupid thing for Hurst to say but I wouldn't make too much of it.

Mind you, he would be better served by a more challenging approach from JT in the post match interview. JT should have responded to that with a "what do you mean by that" type question. It might have enabled Hurst to express himself better.

Through the door there came familiar laughter,
I saw your face and heard you call my name.
Oh my friend we're older but no wiser,
For in our hearts the dreams are still the same.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 10 - 26
diehardmariner
February 14, 2016, 11:04am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.00
Rep Score: +36 / -6
Approval: +17,859
Gold Stars: 549
Quoted from Maringer
God, the melodrama we often get following the dissection of one sentence of a post-match interview gets on my nerves.

I listened to the interview and didn't think anything outrageous was said until I saw the long thread moaning about it.

A poor choice of words from him, I'll grant you, but I'm afraid I just can't get all het up and outraged in the way that some apparently do. I'm more drunk off with the poor performance and lack of intelligent play from the team than anything Hurst does or doesn't say after the game.

P.S. Where's that bloody 4th striker - a 'targetman' - we've needed for so long, Hurst? This lack of a balanced squad is what pisses me off.  

Exactly.  It was that, a poor choice of words.  Nothing more.

I was more concerned with the way we failed to change our system at all during the game and the bizarre substitutions with Arnold coming off for Straker and then Horwood coming off for Clay - Straker going to left back and Clay on the right wing.

Awful performance and awful tactical decisions all round but about time we start levelling the blame equally at the feet of the players as much as we do at Hurst.  It was they who looked half arsed for large parts of the game and dallied too long on the ball.   Nolan looked hungry, Disley was his usual self and Tait never stopped running.  Otherwise no-one did themselves any favours at all yet all the focus is on Hurst for a stupid comment.  

This talk of weakening the squad....Mackreth appears to have improved by about 3million% in a lot of eyes since he left.  Very few people rated him whilst he was here and I can't imagine anyone would have selected him ahead of Arnold at any point.  Yet he's now gone and we're now far weaker.  

Henderson and Nolan in - Far better options than the outgoing Brown.
Straker and Horwood - Well we had no back up before they arrived so they're better than nothing.
Mackreth out - No direct replacement.  Yes, number wise we're a winger down but Mackreth was used so sparingly would it have mattered? You could argue that Straker is a winger so we're level of numbers.  In terms of what they can do, harsh on Straker based on a handful of minutes, but there didn't seem much in it to me.  Relatively ineffective but solid.
Private Message
Reply: 11 - 26
ackomariner
February 14, 2016, 11:05am

Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.46
Rep Score: +20 / -8
Approval: +1,216
Gold Stars: 3
Quoted from 1739
Hopefully he will come out and  retract his comment  . Then we can draw a line under it and let the fans back him until the end of the season which will be the best time to discuss his future and not now. I can feel a poisonous atmosphere sneaking in which will achieve nothing. I am as annoyed as everyone else on here however I will grit my teeth for 3 more months in the hope that he can take us up in the lottery of the play-offs.

Why is that though? Is it because were out of the title race in February? Is it because nothing has changed for the better? Is it because the manager can't take us to the next level? Is it because he still hasn't sorted another striker out, but when it comes to defence he can have a body in the building within days? Is it because the manager still makes weird and wonderful substitutions that doesn't change games? Is it because the manager is out of his depth?

There's a few reasons why maybe......just a thought

UTM
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 12 - 26
Tinymariner
February 14, 2016, 11:06am

Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.74
Rep Score: +30 / -2
Approval: +1,456
Gold Stars: 12
Quoted from diehardmariner

Exactly.  It was that, a poor choice of words.  Nothing more.

I was more concerned with the way we failed to change our system at all during the game and the bizarre substitutions with Arnold coming off for Straker and then Horwood coming off for Clay - Straker going to left back and Clay on the right wing.

Awful performance and awful tactical decisions all round but about time we start levelling the blame equally at the feet of the players as much as we do at Hurst.  It was they who looked half arsed for large parts of the game and dallied too long on the ball.   Nolan looked hungry, Disley was his usual self and Tait never stopped running.  Otherwise no-one did themselves any favours at all yet all the focus is on Hurst for a stupid comment.  

This talk of weakening the squad....Mackreth appears to have improved by about 3million% in a lot of eyes since he left.  Very few people rated him whilst he was here and I can't imagine anyone would have selected him ahead of Arnold at any point.  Yet he's now gone and we're now far weaker.  

Henderson and Nolan in - Far better options than the outgoing Brown.
Straker and Horwood - Well we had no back up before they arrived so they're better than nothing.
Mackreth out - No direct replacement.  Yes, number wise we're a winger down but Mackreth was used so sparingly would it have mattered? You could argue that Straker is a winger so we're level of numbers.  In terms of what they can do, harsh on Straker based on a handful of minutes, but there didn't seem much in it to me.  Relatively ineffective but solid.

Absolutely spot on for me! Well said.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 13 - 26
ginnywings
February 14, 2016, 11:15am

Recovering Alcoholic
Posts Per Day: 5.00
Rep Score: +88 / -32
Approval: +56,157
Gold Stars: 548
I'm more concerned by our inconsistency on the pitch and our inability to change things in game other than constant like for like or yesterdays bizarre choices than i am by some post match comments, ill advised as they were.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 14 - 26
marinerjase
February 14, 2016, 11:17am
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.36
Rep Score: +31 / -1
Approval: +2,716
Gold Stars: 157
Agreed.. much ado about nothing.

Peoples disappointment leads to reactions and sometimes daft comments. Hurst not only one guilty of that in last 16 hours or so.

Appreciate we should be challenging for title, but it's gone now and with all due respect yesterdays result/performance made no difference in that respect.

All about managing the players/squad for the Play Offs now. Personally I'm no less positive re the chance of getting promoted. Play off win was always my prediction. Seen nothing to change that.

‘I just f*cking threw myself at it’

Mani D 23 May 2022
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 15 - 26
arryarryarry
February 14, 2016, 11:17am
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.71
Rep Score: +26 / -28
Approval: +10,022
Gold Stars: 118
Trouble is this isn't the first time he has had a dig at the fans.

I've said many times before a fair number of fans wanted rid of AB despite all he achieved as he often had digs at the fans.

Private Message
Reply: 16 - 26
Jaws
February 14, 2016, 11:51am
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.24
Rep Score: +7 / -3
Approval: +1,306
Gold Stars: 11
Wasn't yesterday that cost us automatic promotion - it's been the draws/losses that this forum has been 'up in arms' about earlier in the season, the days when people have accused posters on here of overreacting. The points dropped then are just as bad as the points lost yesterday but Hurst was flippant about it then.

A promotion chasing side doesn't go out to 'not lose'
Private Message
Reply: 17 - 26
jonnyboy82
February 14, 2016, 11:56am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.27
Rep Score: +71 / -36
Approval: +5,688
Gold Stars: 95
Ask yourself this .

Has he really improved the squad this january in our most important time of need ?

No.

GTFC
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 18 - 26
Marinerz93
February 14, 2016, 12:20pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.55
Rep Score: +89 / -11
Approval: +6,292
Gold Stars: 1
Quoted from arryarryarry
Trouble is this isn't the first time he has had a dig at the fans.

I've said many times before a fair number of fans wanted rid of AB despite all he achieved as he often had digs at the fans.

In fairness to AB he earned that right through what he achieved. At the time we didn't know the financial limits he was on which were quite disgraceful.

Kind of reminded me of Cloughy, it was that era of that type of manager. Today's managers have do courses, gain qualifications, use computers, and the played part seems less important.

AB would tell the players what he wanted, PH says 'alright lads' before he gives 'instructions'.

Supporting the Mighty Mariners for over 30 years, home town club is were the heart and soul is and it's great to be a part of it.

Jesus’ disciple Peter, picked up a fish to get the tribute money from it, Jesus left his thumb print on the fish, bless'ed is the Haddock.
Private Message
Reply: 19 - 26
3 Pages Prev 1 2 3 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Message to Hurst

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.