This thread currently has 8,741 views. Print
5 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 Next All Recommend Thread
jaymariner
October 13, 2015, 10:55pm
Lager Top Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.09
Rep Score: +3 / 0
Approval: +406
Absolutely brilliant! Every player gave 100% and looked like they were enjoying it. Halifax were very very poor but we sometimes make these games hard for ourselves so it was nice to see us play some great attacking football and it pay off.

Started to feel sorry for the Halifax fans at one point but then remembered how much abuse they gave us at their place when we lost 4-0, It feels like this was redemption for that night a little
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 30 - 48
barralad
October 13, 2015, 11:03pm
Mariners Trust
Posts Per Day: 2.31
Rep Score: +85 / -22
Approval: +9,301
Gold Stars: 127
Quoted from jaymariner
Absolutely brilliant! Every player gave 100% and looked like they were enjoying it. Halifax were very very poor but we sometimes make these games hard for ourselves so it was nice to see us play some great attacking football and it pay off.

Started to feel sorry for the Halifax fans at one point but then remembered how much abuse they gave us at their place when we lost 4-0, It feels like this was redemption for that night a little

I don't consider myself to be a vengeful sort but I did quote "Revenge is a dish best served cold" at half time...

The aim of argument or discussion should not be victory but progress.

Joseph Joubert.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 31 - 48
Mendonca1995
October 13, 2015, 11:13pm
Super Clive mendonca how much would he cost now
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.21
Rep Score: +6 / -1
Approval: +903
Gold Stars: 15
It's just what happens when you play your top goal scorers !!! If the booing was at Tomlinson it's disgraceful great win utm

ALL TOWN AREN'T WE ⚫️⚪️
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 32 - 48
AndyGTFC
October 13, 2015, 11:55pm

Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.31
Rep Score: +23 / -2
Approval: +808
Gold Stars: 5
Fantastic win. You can only beat what's in front of you and as crap as Halifax were, we were clearly up for it from the off and both Bogle and Amond were fantastic. First time they've played together in nearly a month and they looked determined to prove a point.

Let's follow this up with another three points on Saturday now.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 33 - 48
Biccys
October 14, 2015, 12:19am
Posts Per Day: 2.03
Rep Score: +55 / -22
Approval: +1,226
Gold Stars: 27
Great man management to make Podge and Bogez so determined for each other and they really are developing into a formidable partnership despite not playing together for a while. I just hope they keep that togetherness and carry it forward into the next games. JPP is going to struggle to get back into the side if they keep that up! I love the way Amond is coaching all the time, showing everyone where they should be, his movement is second to none and he knows how to be a centre forward. Bet quickly becoming one of my favourite players ever to wear the stripes!

@biccysthefishy

£110,105

[url]https://www.easyfundraising.org.uk/causes/mariners-trust/[/url]
Logged Offline
Private Message Skype
Reply: 34 - 48
toontown
October 14, 2015, 12:32am
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.57
Rep Score: +13 / 0
Approval: +6,267
Gold Stars: 70
Great display from so many players.  All the starting 10 outfield players were great, McKeown really had nothing to do all game. The front two partnership, what can you say, looked Rolls-Royce like for our level, brilliant interlink play.  OK so we have to allow for Halifax being awful but still great to watch.
Noticed the vast improvement in Monkhouse's play when he had Bogle and Amonds movement to play the little one twos with. A lesson there is if you're going to play Monkhouse, as PH so clearly does, then it cant be with Tomlinson who doesn't have the nous to do those sorts of runs. With him up front Monkhouse has looked a shadow of the player he has when Amond especially has been in the team.
On the subject of Tomlinson, plainly Hurst put him on with the assumption that even he could score against them, but he couldn't, and he didn't even threaten to look threatening, against a defence that was disorganised demoralised and prone to basic mistakes. Instead Tomlinson was poor and simply anonymous again. If he can't do it against that Halifax side, he never will. Really really not good enough.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 35 - 48
Mrs Doyle
October 14, 2015, 3:48am
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.78
Rep Score: +22 / -13
Approval: +4,859
Bogle looked like he was carrying a knock last night I think that was the reason he was subbed anyone else notice he kept feeling is leg I know he took one in the nuts but he was struggling a bit latter on.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 36 - 48
RoboCod
October 14, 2015, 7:40am
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.90
Rep Score: +70 / -19
Approval: +7,505
Quoted from barralad

I don't consider myself to be a vengeful sort but I did quote "Revenge is a dish best served cold" at half time...

Their forum has been error'ing for a few hours now. A proper, full-on message board meltdown

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 37 - 48
Tommy
October 14, 2015, 7:42am
Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 1.21
Rep Score: +60 / -15
Approval: +8,869
Gold Stars: 76
Although against limited opposition, that was a complete performance from Town.

From the first whistle our work rate was fantastic, closing down and pressing all over the pitch. Bogle and Podge setting the standard with immense work rate between them. This intensity didn't drop throughout the match despite the game being effectively over very early on - agree with Hurst saying that was one of the most pleasing things, as it would've been easy to coast through the 2nd half.

Disley and Clay won everything in the middle and moved the ball quickly. Clay was back to his early season form with some intelligent twists and turns when under pressure.

Monkhouse had started well and did really well to pick out Bogle for the opener. Marshall took a bit of time to get going but 2nd half was a threat with his direct style.
As with Arnold on the other side, both wingers linked well with their full backs who were happy to get forward.

I've said it since I saw him at the Kidderminster game but Amond's movement really is a different class to anything I've seen from a GTFC striker for many years. Bogle's was better tonight too. And they both held the ball up well in general. If they both keep up that level of work rate and ball retention, they'll stay in the team. Often playing close together, teeing each other up, gee-ing each other up, they look like a real partnership. Bogle stepping over the ball for Amond to stick it top corner epitomised this as he could've easily tried to turn & shoot himself.

Townsend said on the radio afterwards that Hurst reminded them at half time how Cheltenham beat Halifax 7-1 recently and challenged them to beat that.

Yes Halifax were shocking but we didn't give them a chance to settle and rebuild any confidence early on. That intensity of pressing and speed of our own play (similar to last week vs Gateshead) is the standard we need to hit every week. If we maintain that, teams won't be able to live with us. We've played poor teams before but stood off them and either drew or coasted to a 2-0/3-0 win.

But tonight we had the confidence and desire of champions. That must be maintained.

"The greatest mistake you can make in life is to continually be afraid you will make one."
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 38 - 48
Mariner_09
October 14, 2015, 8:00am
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.09
Rep Score: +19 / -13
Approval: +1,194
Gold Stars: 55
Have to say Ademola didn't look like much at BP in August bu Kristian Dennis looked like a quality player. However Bogle and Amond have been the best strikers I've seen bar maybe Parkin.

I've wasted my life in black and white, a pathetic act for a worthless cause
Private Message
Reply: 39 - 48
5 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Just back

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.