3 Pages 1 2 3 All Recommend Thread
TAGG
October 11, 2015, 11:52am

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.93
Rep Score: +26 / -27
Approval: +2,941
Gold Stars: 127
If we are not in the top two after the Xmas fixtures should Hurst be sacked?????
All on here know I want him gone.

No not a scooby doo who we would get in before you ask.

In his three stints as Grimsby Town manager spanning over 10 years the club was never relegated and he also guided them to three promotions.
Only 14 managers have reached 1,000 matches in charge of a Football League team by 1998 and Buckley is one of them.
GOD
Logged Offline
Private Message
ginnywings
October 11, 2015, 12:01pm

Recovering Alcoholic
Posts Per Day: 5.01
Rep Score: +88 / -32
Approval: +56,154
Gold Stars: 548
Very small parameters. Top 2 by the new year? When in the new year? We could finish second and be in this league next year or we could finish 5th and go up. Think we are consigned to our fate by then and see how the season ends before making that sort of decision.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 1 - 25
grimsby pete
October 11, 2015, 12:02pm

Exile
Posts Per Day: 9.78
Rep Score: +126 / -28
Approval: +17,842
Gold Stars: 223
It does not matter what we think,

BUT

The board will not get rid if we are in spitting distance of the play offs.

Over 37 years living in Suffolk but always a mariner.
                             69 Years following the Town

Life member of Trust

First game   April 1955

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 2 - 25
Marinerz93
October 11, 2015, 12:03pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.55
Rep Score: +89 / -11
Approval: +6,292
Gold Stars: 1
Anyone in the top 5 can strike at the title if the points gap is close enough so top 2 position is irrelevant.

I would prefer to leading the pack but to do that you need to consistently win games and go on a winning run.

Yes we are unbeaten but it remains to be seen that we are ruthless enough to create enough wins from draws.

I believe we will make the play off's but I am not convinced we have enough at this moment in time to go up either as champions or through the play off's.

We have more draws than anybody in this league, turn that around and we have the potential to be Champions.

Supporting the Mighty Mariners for over 30 years, home town club is were the heart and soul is and it's great to be a part of it.

Jesus’ disciple Peter, picked up a fish to get the tribute money from it, Jesus left his thumb print on the fish, bless'ed is the Haddock.
Private Message
Reply: 3 - 25
LH
October 11, 2015, 12:05pm

Posts Per Day: 1.91
Rep Score: +30 / -13
Approval: +18,618
Gold Stars: 178
We could be second and 20pts behind or seventh and 2pts behind by then.

We're 7th and 4 behind second place Cheltenham who are at BP in just under three weeks. Why not just concentrate on the short term and two winnable games in the next 6 days?
Private Message
Reply: 4 - 25
TAGG
October 11, 2015, 12:10pm

Vodka Drinker
Quoted from ginnywings
Very small parameters. Top 2 by the new year? When in the new year? We could finish second and be in this league next year or we could finish 5th and go up. Think we are consigned to our fate by then and see how the season ends before making that sort of decision.

Ok for you. The Lincoln game I think that one ends the Xmas fixtures.
Sorry for not making it clear enough for you.

In his three stints as Grimsby Town manager spanning over 10 years the club was never relegated and he also guided them to three promotions.
Only 14 managers have reached 1,000 matches in charge of a Football League team by 1998 and Buckley is one of them.
GOD
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 5 - 25
ex-merseymariner
October 11, 2015, 12:14pm

Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.24
Rep Score: +12 / -10
Approval: +1,403
Gold Stars: 9
Quoted from TAGG
If we are not in the top two after the Xmas fixtures should Hurst be sacked?????
All on here know I want him gone.   No not a scooby doo who we would get in before you ask.

No.

Firstly; there are 9 National league games between now and Xmas, maybe less with postponements.
Secondly, by this Tuesday night, we could be 4th or 13th; it is that close at the moment.
And finally, we are on the verge of going 10 games unbeaten.

Are you seriously suggesting sacking the manager if we're not in the top 2 at Christmas?  Really? It's hardly positive thinking is it?

FFS

#newera;   New owners, new approach;  'we bought Grimsby Town to help renew the place we love'  
Join the Trust, get involved: UP THE MARINERS!  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 6 - 25
Marinerz93
October 11, 2015, 12:15pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from LH
We could be second and 20pts behind or seventh and 2pts behind by then.

We're 7th and 4 behind second place Cheltenham who are at BP in just under three weeks. Why not just concentrate on the short term and two winnable games in the next 6 days?

So far we have 6 wins, 8 draws and 2 defeats, turn just 2 of those draws into wins and we are joint 2nd on goal difference with Cheltenham.  Hurst is setting us up to cancel out the opposition and in doing so is shackling us with draws.

Supporting the Mighty Mariners for over 30 years, home town club is were the heart and soul is and it's great to be a part of it.

Jesus’ disciple Peter, picked up a fish to get the tribute money from it, Jesus left his thumb print on the fish, bless'ed is the Haddock.
Private Message
Reply: 7 - 25
TAGG
October 11, 2015, 12:27pm

Vodka Drinker
Quoted from ex-merseymariner

No.

Firstly; there are 9 National league games between now and Xmas, maybe less with postponements.
Secondly, by this Tuesday night, we could be 4th or 13th; it is that close at the moment.

Are you seriously suggesting sacking the manager if we're not in the top 2 at Christmas?  Really? It's hardly positive thinking is it?

FFS

FFS
It's a simple question with two simple answers.
No ifs buts or flipping maybes

GOD
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 8 - 25
chaos33
October 11, 2015, 12:42pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.57
Rep Score: +66 / -33
Approval: +17,990
Gold Stars: 365
It's no good to me that question so I can't take part in your poll.

However, this is my view - we should be in the title race, full stop.

If we can't manage that, we should be very definitely in the play off hunt. I'm not really happy about settling for that, but not much the fans can do beyond what they already have. Hurst isn't going to be sacked unless we fall badly out of touch with the top five. All league positions outside of top spot are the same to me - 2nd means the same as 5th. It doesn't really matter whether you or I believe Hurst will get us promoted (personally I am unconvinced) but we need to get on with it. If we're decisively out of the title race by the new year I'll be unhappy and angry, but it won't do me or anyone else any good venting, although I will do that.

As long as we're half way or above and in with a shout of the play offs the board will be ok with that, rendering your poll a bit meaningless really. We might as well accept that Hurst will be here until the end of the season, barring disasters.

"You should do what you love while you can"
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 9 - 25
jonnyboy82
October 11, 2015, 12:52pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.27
Rep Score: +71 / -36
Approval: +5,688
Gold Stars: 95
Cant sack him for not being in the top two, top five then yes.

GTFC
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 10 - 25
ROKERITE
October 11, 2015, 1:03pm
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.15
Rep Score: +13 / -3
Approval: +425
Gold Stars: 5
Quoted from Marinerz93

So far we have 6 wins, 8 draws and 2 defeats, turn just 2 of those draws into wins and we are joint 2nd on goal difference with Cheltenham.  Hurst is setting us up to cancel out the opposition and in doing so is shackling us with draws.

Oldham Athletic lost for only the third time this season in League One yesterday, but they are in a relegation spot. They've drawn eight and won just one.
With the attackers Grimsby Town have this season what is Hurst afraid of?

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 11 - 25
Marinerz93
October 11, 2015, 1:43pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from ROKERITE

Oldham Athletic lost for only the third time this season in League One yesterday, but they are in a relegation spot. They've drawn eight and won just one.
With the attackers Grimsby Town have this season what is Hurst afraid of?

He prefers to defend from the front and that's ok if the striker gets into position and scores, the reality is we have the fire power to out score anyone 'doing a Brasil' as it used to be called and that would create a defeat or two but attacking play, going out all guns would rally and excite the fans more and would get us more points than the current set up.

The bottom line is Hurst was a defender and he manages the team from that view.   He looks how he can cancel teams out rather than tear them apart.

Private Message
Reply: 12 - 25
Bristol Mariner
October 11, 2015, 2:07pm

Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.25
Rep Score: +11 / -5
Approval: +2,877
Gold Stars: 79
I must have been at a different match yesterday than everyone else. Bogle is not fit!

GTFC Exile, Bristol Mariners
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 13 - 25
HertsGTFC
October 11, 2015, 3:05pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 4.24
Rep Score: +29 / -10
Approval: +23,079
Gold Stars: 240
Quoted from jonnyboy82
Cant sack him for not being in the top two, top five then yes.

Would be my view if I "signed the cheques" I think JF etc... will not do anything until the end of the season at best.  

"Crombie you would have got to that if you weren't such a fat ba%$@rd" - George Kerr, inspiration from the dug out 70s style  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 14 - 25
Badger57
October 11, 2015, 3:29pm
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.28
Rep Score: +8 / 0
Approval: +1,922
Gold Stars: 30
We should of got rid 2 Christmases ago but we didn't. He's the most boring defensive one dimensional manager we've ever had in my lifetime and he bores me to distraction. He's reverted to type after a few bad results early this season where we were undone by a plethora of missed chances and the opposition scoring from a silly mistake at the back or a good finish by an opposition player. Sticking with that style of play things would have turned round and we would be stuffing teams left right and centre whilst conceding the odd goal now and again. Who cares if the other team scores 3 if we score 4? Instead he reverts to type, he drops his real strikers destroying their confidence and brings in a LJL hold up, run until he drops but can't even kick an empty bottle into the back of an empty net kind of player whilst stifling any kind of flowing attractive football.
And, the really sad thing is, even if he does fluke promotion via the playoffs (because there's not a chance in Hades of automatic promotion with Hurst "football") then I doubt he'd suddenly change his "style" to a more entertaining one.
Pah!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 15 - 25
Sir Matt Tease
October 11, 2015, 4:37pm
Snakebite drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.09
Rep Score: +7 / -1
Approval: +293
Gold Stars: 31
I noticed that we have not yet seen the final results of the "How would you feel if Hurst went to Rotherham" poll.

The last time I looked it had had around 450 votes 41% of which said they would be delighted if he went and 20 odd % did not give a toss !

It should worry the powers that be that over 60% of the fans would not be bothered if he left or was sacked.

Do the final figures not get published if the results do not suit the Fishy Police ?

Just asking...................
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 16 - 25
TAGG
October 11, 2015, 5:11pm

Vodka Drinker
Quoted from Badger57
We should of got rid 2 Christmases ago but we didn't. He's the most boring defensive one dimensional manager we've ever had in my lifetime and he bores me to distraction. He's reverted to type after a few bad results early this season where we were undone by a plethora of missed chances and the opposition scoring from a silly mistake at the back or a good finish by an opposition player. Sticking with that style of play things would have turned round and we would be stuffing teams left right and centre whilst conceding the odd goal now and again. Who cares if the other team scores 3 if we score 4? Instead he reverts to type, he drops his real strikers destroying their confidence and brings in a LJL hold up, run until he drops but can't even kick an empty bottle into the back of an empty net kind of player whilst stifling any kind of flowing attractive football.
And, the really sad thing is, even if he does fluke promotion via the playoffs (because there's not a chance in Hades of automatic promotion with Hurst "football") then I doubt he'd suddenly change his "style" to a more entertaining one.
Pah!

This 100%

GOD
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 17 - 25
GrimRob
October 11, 2015, 6:18pm

Posts Per Day: 2.11
Rep Score: +76 / -34
Approval: +13,474
Gold Stars: 115
We can be second and 20 points off the top or 10th and 2 points off the top. We're completely at the mercy of how the other results pan out other than the 46 games we control. If FGR end up getting 120 points and we come secoond with something less than that you can't say the the manager has failed. We could get 100 points and still not get promoted in this division potentially.

So I think the question is meaningless.

'Tis better to have loved and lost than never to have loved at all.  
~ Alfred Lord Tennyson

Logged Online
Site Private Message Skype
Reply: 18 - 25
lukeo
October 11, 2015, 6:53pm
Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 2.06
Rep Score: +38 / -23
Approval: +2,420
Gold Stars: 149
if we are further adrift than we are now from 1st place IF there is someone genuimely available who'd come here then I'd consider it. other than that see the season out and if we don't go up and didn't give it a good go then look elsewhere
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 19 - 25
chaos33
October 11, 2015, 6:58pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.57
Rep Score: +66 / -33
Approval: +17,990
Gold Stars: 365
Quoted from Badger57
Pah!

I like this post. When I'm feeling at my most angry, this is pretty much how I feel, before I balance myself out again. I think it's maybe a little harsh and it's not exactly my stance, but there's a lot of truth in it.

"You should do what you love while you can"
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 20 - 25
Fat Cobra
October 11, 2015, 7:53pm
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.14
Rep Score: +9 / -28
Approval: -1,479
Oust him asap
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 21 - 25
KingstonMariner
October 11, 2015, 9:53pm
Meths Drinker
Posts Per Day: 6.02
Rep Score: +42 / -11
Approval: +23,440
Gold Stars: 218
Quoted from GrimRob
We can be second and 20 points off the top or 10th and 2 points off the top. We're completely at the mercy of how the other results pan out other than the 46 games we control. If FGR end up getting 120 points and we come secoond with something less than that you can't say the the manager has failed. We could get 100 points and still not get promoted in this division potentially.

So I think the question is meaningless.

I agree. If we get 100 points and don't win the league, I'd say that was good and you can't say fairer than being beaten by a team who got more than 100.

Highly unlikely for us now. We'd need nearly 2 1/2 points per game. Currently we're on 1.6/game so a massive improvement needed. But FGR are currently on track for it.

I think come late Feb/March the particular straw we'll be clutching is the one that says "the team in the play-offs that finishes with the best run is the one most likely to go up."

Through the door there came familiar laughter,
I saw your face and heard you call my name.
Oh my friend we're older but no wiser,
For in our hearts the dreams are still the same.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 22 - 25
DickBarton
October 12, 2015, 3:55pm

Snakebite drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.10
Rep Score: +3 / -5
Approval: -355
Quoted from TAGG
All on here know I want him gone.

No not a scooby doo who we would get in before you ask.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 23 - 25
arryarryarry
October 13, 2015, 9:39am
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.71
Rep Score: +26 / -28
Approval: +10,021
Gold Stars: 117
Quoted from ex-merseymariner

No.

FFS

Neither are some of Paul Hurst's team selections.
Private Message
Reply: 24 - 25
DocTower
October 13, 2015, 1:15pm
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.30
Rep Score: +10 / -5
Approval: +1,223
Quoted from Marinerz93

I said this , that he sets a team up not to loose , some are quite happy with this , the majority aren't knowing what we have sat on the bench .  We are just mirroring last season . Nothing but a win tonight will do , it's going to be cold so big coat and hat for me .
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 25 - 25
3 Pages 1 2 3 All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Position at Xmas

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.