Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Embarassed...........
Users Browsing Forum
No Members and 83 Guests

Embarassed...........

This thread currently has 8,198 views. Print
6 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 Next All Recommend Thread
mariner91
October 5, 2015, 4:41pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.64
Rep Score: +78 / -11
Approval: +19,808
Gold Stars: 262
Quoted from TheCodfather1966
.....  With a club like Grimsby, any manager would have a near miss, so last season has to be forgotten about.  
UTM

That is possibly some of the biggest bollocks I've read on here.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 10 - 52
ginnywings
October 5, 2015, 5:04pm

Recovering Alcoholic
Posts Per Day: 5.01
Rep Score: +88 / -32
Approval: +56,153
Gold Stars: 548
Quoted from moosey_club
7 points off the top spot...with around a third of the league season gone....not the start we had all hoped for but not insurmountable either......hopefully he will soon cease the tinkering which has definately disrupted our early season brand of attack minded play...i have certainly not been Hursts biggest fan but the new approach has turned me around somewhat....however in the recent 4/5 games he seems to be regressing to some of the old habits......too early still in my opinion and lets face it..i think we know what might happen if he does go.......
No rush to replace, Doig gets several weeks as caretaker....might do well....might get the job on a short term basis for the rest of the season....etc etc...

He's definitely tightened the ship in the last few games and gone back to a more restrained style as he was clearly not happy with the goals we were conceding. Tomlinson is the chaser who defends from the front like LJL used to and i think he feels more comfortable with a less limited player who grafts than he does with one who is a more natural finisher but can be a passenger when the goals dry up. It's the only explanation for leaving out two players who quickly got to the top of the scoring charts. Similarly with Mackreth coming back into the side; a player who never looks to receive the ball beyond the full back but always in front of him, then trying to get past him or laying it off. He will never get exposed if the ball is cut out before it reaches him but he will not often get behind the defence either. Monkhouse will usually get preferred to Marshall because he's a safe player who can win headers up the pitch and back in defence, whereas Marshall may leave you exposed if he ventures forward and loses the ball up the pitch. Hurst is naturally pragmatic and has gone back to what he knows best, especially as the fixture list has gotten harder recently. It may be exactly why he brought in Tomlinson this month in particular.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 11 - 52
arryarryarry
October 5, 2015, 5:10pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.71
Rep Score: +26 / -28
Approval: +10,052
Gold Stars: 117
Quoted from mariner91

That is possibly some of the biggest bollocks I've read on here.

Why,

Like I posted elsewhere, I believe we have a top five budget, we are one of the best supported sides in this league so I would expect any half decent manager to get us into the play-offs, what we need is that manager with something extra to get us promoted.

It remains to be seen if Paul Hurst has what it takes to do that.
Private Message
Reply: 12 - 52
Mrs Doyle
October 5, 2015, 5:15pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.78
Rep Score: +22 / -13
Approval: +4,859
I'm embarrassed reading this thread yet again another anti Hurst thread FFS GIVE THE MAN A BREAK.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 13 - 52
GrimRob
October 5, 2015, 5:16pm

Posts Per Day: 2.11
Rep Score: +76 / -34
Approval: +13,467
Gold Stars: 115
Quoted from arryarryarry

Why,

Like I posted elsewhere, I believe we have a top five budget, we are one of the best supported sides in this league so I would expect any half decent manager to get us into the play-offs, what we need is that manager with something extra to get us promoted.

It remains to be seen if Paul Hurst has what it takes to do that.

Actually its pretty hard to get a top five finish in any division - never mind over three consecutive years, all with substantially different teams, and every year there have been clubs with bigger budgets. There can't be many managers in Britain who have accomplished that, but we have one who has, yet he is derided as clueless by some on here!!

'Tis better to have loved and lost than never to have loved at all.  
~ Alfred Lord Tennyson

Logged Offline
Site Private Message Skype
Reply: 14 - 52
mariner91
October 5, 2015, 5:18pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.64
Rep Score: +78 / -11
Approval: +19,808
Gold Stars: 262
He said any manager would have a near miss which is just rubbish. Yes we have a top 5 budget but you still have to know how to manage a club. Look how many failed at Luton with their budget. And Neil Woods would never in a million years have taken us up. To take away from the fact that we were a penalty away from promotion last season and have made the play offs three years running is a great injustice to PH.

I agree that the jury is out on whether he has that extra 5% to get us promoted but he is not a bad manager, far from it, so to claim that anyone could have done what he did last season is utter shite.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 15 - 52
Hagrid
October 5, 2015, 5:46pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.80
Rep Score: +49 / -21
Approval: +20,532
Gold Stars: 544
Agree completely Rob, if PH does leave us, most will soon see that we will be in a worse position without him
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 16 - 52
TAGG
October 5, 2015, 6:23pm

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.93
Rep Score: +26 / -27
Approval: +2,941
Gold Stars: 126
Quoted from GrimRob
If the teams you mention stay near the top then great it makes the challenge a bit easier as they don't have the squads to cope when the busy part of the season kicks in.

How can you be so sure with such certanty they haven't got the squads to sustain a challenge 'through the busy  part of the season' ???? and how can you be sure we have???
Always like your posts even though I don't always agree with them but this one of yours is utter fantasy.

In his three stints as Grimsby Town manager spanning over 10 years the club was never relegated and he also guided them to three promotions.
Only 14 managers have reached 1,000 matches in charge of a Football League team by 1998 and Buckley is one of them.
GOD
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 17 - 52
barralad
October 5, 2015, 7:00pm
Mariners Trust
Posts Per Day: 2.31
Rep Score: +85 / -22
Approval: +9,300
Gold Stars: 127
Quoted from TAGG

How can you be so sure with such certanty they haven't got the squads to sustain a challenge 'through the busy  part of the season' ???? and how can you be sure we have???
Always like your posts even though I don't always agree with them but this one of yours is utter fantasy.

A simple glance to the bench on Saturday told me all I needed to know about the strength of our squad. Anyone of those players would've walked into most sides in this league.
I don't think anyone knows for certain that others haven't got the squads to maintain a challenge but the past history of this league since we've been in it suggests that teams that can afford decent squads are in the mix and those that cannot (i.e. Braintree/Dover) don't...

The aim of argument or discussion should not be victory but progress.

Joseph Joubert.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 18 - 52
moosey_club
October 5, 2015, 8:10pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.70
Rep Score: +69 / -22
Approval: +20,325
Gold Stars: 229
Quoted from ginnywings

He's definitely tightened the ship in the last few games and gone back to a more restrained style as he was clearly not happy with the goals we were conceding. Tomlinson is the chaser who defends from the front like LJL used to and i think he feels more comfortable with a less limited player who grafts than he does with one who is a more natural finisher but can be a passenger when the goals dry up. It's the only explanation for leaving out two players who quickly got to the top of the scoring charts. Similarly with Mackreth coming back into the side; a player who never looks to receive the ball beyond the full back but always in front of him, then trying to get past him or laying it off. He will never get exposed if the ball is cut out before it reaches him but he will not often get behind the defence either. Monkhouse will usually get preferred to Marshall because he's a safe player who can win headers up the pitch and back in defence, whereas Marshall may leave you exposed if he ventures forward and loses the ball up the pitch. Hurst is naturally pragmatic and has gone back to what he knows best, especially as the fixture list has gotten harder recently. It may be exactly why he brought in Tomlinson this month in particular.

yeah...it just worries me that he has forgotten while we were conceding we were generally banging them in at the other end....the mysterious dropping of Clay for having a "bad" game and the insistence on playing a lad who wasnt entirely upto it and now Amond not getting a look in after sitting out a game with injury....Arnold's compassionate leave is extremely unfortunate and i hope he is back in the starting line up tomorrow night with Amond replacing Tomlinson.  JPP has taken his chance and should stay in for me.
I notice again he is slightly missing the fans point when speaking to the press, saying people have opinions etc and why should he drop JPP who has 2 in 2.....well i dont think its JPP the public really want dropping is it?? Its the other one Paul..the one who has 0 in 3.  

2023/24 DLWDDWDLLLWDLLLLWDDDWDLLWLDLLDWDDWLLDWLWLWL but not NLN 😁
2022/23LDWDWWDWLLDWWDLLLDLWLLWLWLLWDDLDWWDDDLLWDWLWLW
2021/22 WDWWWWDLWWWWLLLWLLDLWLLWWDWWWLWDLWWDWWWDLWD play offs WWW Promoted 🥳
2020/21  LLDWWLDLDWLWLLLDLWLLDLLDLLLWLLLDDDDWDDDLWLWLWL .. hello darkness my old friend
2019/20  WDLDWWLDLWWLLLDLDLDLDDWWDLLWDDWWL WLLW - ended
2018/19  LWDDLLLLLLWWDWLLLWDWLWWWWLLLLWWWWDLLLDDLLDLWLW Hello Scunny  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 19 - 52
6 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Embarassed...........

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.