14 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 Next All Recommend Thread
LondonMariner43
June 23, 2015, 3:45pm
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.40
Rep Score: +19 / -4
Approval: +3,979
Gold Stars: 64
I watched most of last night's game.  It was a poor game for much of it but in that respect no different to many of the poor games that England men's team have played.

The good patches were entertaining to watch and I agree that the lack of atmosphere and crowd noise made it feel flat.

Some errors were made - eg short back pass but I've seen that in England and Premier games.

Overall, I thought it was decent entertainment.  It doesn't matter that a women's team would lose to a men's team - Paula Radcliffe in her prime would be beaten by Mo Farah but that doesn't mean women's athletics is less interesting than men's or of lesser value.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 60 - 130
TonySmith
June 23, 2015, 4:21pm

Snakebite drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.08
Rep Score: +4 / -1
Approval: +977
Gold Stars: 11
I think too many men refuse to believe women can be any good at their "macho" sport, so they are determined to think it's crap whatever they see. Actually, some of these women are very skilled and all are extremely fit and they would leave most casual or even semi-serious male players in the dirt.
Do passes go astray? Are shots missed? Do keepers make errors? Do defenders make mistakes? Are some games pretty dull? Why, yes. Just like in the men's game!
  I honestly don't know what level of the men's game the best women could compete at. I suspect their skills would be competitive to quite a high level, but their speed and strength would hold them back, just like in, say, tennis or athletics, but so what, honestly?
  I do know this. The moves that the French ladies put together to score their first two goals against Korea the other night would have had most of us purring about quality if Town had come up with them. Go check them out if you haven't seen them.
Watch it or don't watch it, but the level of condescension some people display shows insecurity, in my opinion.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 61 - 130
arryarryarry
June 23, 2015, 5:09pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.71
Rep Score: +26 / -28
Approval: +10,020
Gold Stars: 117
Quoted from 120790

No just to keep the ball away from the opponents in a perfectly legal way in a manner that is not unsporting in the slightest. Using your ability to keep the ball in an area of the pitch that it can do you no harm at a crucial time.

As opposed to faking injury, rolling around on the ground, taking an age to take a free kick or throw in or goal kick, all of which are legal (barring faking injury) but unsporting.
[face=Arial][/face]

So you are suggesting that is a good tactic? So we go one nil up in the first minute then try to keep the ball near the corner flag for the remaining 89 minutes.

That will bring the fans flooding back.

Private Message
Reply: 62 - 130
June 23, 2015, 7:32pm
Guest User
No not at all based on your scenario.
But if we are 1 nil up with three minutes of added time then yes get it in those corners and try and keep it there.

It's nothing nothing new
Reply: 63 - 130
Tinymariner
June 23, 2015, 7:59pm

Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.74
Rep Score: +30 / -2
Approval: +1,456
Gold Stars: 12
Quoted from 120790
LH, you were drawn in on the use of the word Soccer. I wondered who would comment on that first.

Many people think that Soccer is a word invented and used by the Americans for our brand of football. They are wrong. In fact Soccer is a very English word created from slang abbreviation during some of the earliest days of our Association Football. The word "Soccer" being a derivative of the word "Association".

It was used way back in the 19th century, to differentiate "Soccer" (Association Football) from "Rugger" (Rugby). The man on the street and the kids in the street in England played Soccer long before they played Football in its singular term. Their ball was their "Casey" if they could afford one, but somebody in the street usually could. When they got to wear boots, they were known as their "Toggs". Now this was also at the time when their teams played in a "Strip" not a "Kit". Now a football "Kit" can certainly be blamed on the Americans. American military in fact.

Soccer - Don't blame it on the Yanks....

Did anyone else refer to a game of football as 'a game of Togger' at school? Or was it just me?

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 64 - 130
BIGChris
June 23, 2015, 8:14pm
Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 1.96
Rep Score: +70 / -24
Approval: +2,654
Gold Stars: 6
Quoted from Tinymariner

Did anyone else refer to a game of football as 'a game of Togger' at school? Or was it just me?

You certainly aren't on your own!
Private Message
Reply: 65 - 130
Tinymariner
June 23, 2015, 8:22pm

Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.74
Rep Score: +30 / -2
Approval: +1,456
Gold Stars: 12
Thanks for that Chris, thought I was imagining it, I haven't called it Togger for nearly 30 years.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 66 - 130
mariner91
June 23, 2015, 8:23pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.64
Rep Score: +78 / -11
Approval: +19,837
Gold Stars: 264
Quoted from 120790
Some of the comments on here about women's football  leave me dumbfounded. I think that there must be a lot of "would be" soccer pundits in here that aren't capable of watching football closely enough to appreciate just how technically adept the women are in the more developed football nations. You really cannot understand football if you are unable to see that these women are accomplished professional players with a lot of skill and ability. Playing in highly coached teams.

Aside from the obvious difference in physicality, there is football being played and skills on show, that you would struggle to find below the Football League Championship. Skills that you would see being used in the Championship and above.

I do wonder whether much of the ancient views on here are simply because it is women playing football, the sport that has been male dominated since the dark ages. Also that people switch off from it because the crowd noise at the games is totally different to the atmosphere in the men's game.

They did a test in Germany, where women's football is massive. They put 50 open minded men in a cine room to watch a top level women's football match. Then they made them watch it again, but they dubbed the audio very cleverly with crowd noise from a Bayern Munich men's game against Borussia Dortmund. The guys then were asked to give an honest opinion of the game experience. They concluded that their viewing experience was enhanced as a result of enhanced background football atmosphere noise. Just goes to show.

It's no accident that last year's runner up in FIFA's Puskas Award, which is for most aesthetically significant, or "most beautiful", world goal of the year; was none other than Stephanie Roche. I wonder how that goal would be received by Joe Public, if it had been scored in front of 50,000+ supporters in a massive stadium with crowd atmosphere behind it.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/30284831

Get yourself to a men's reserve game, or top elite level academy game. You will find the atmosphere there to be no different to what you experience at women's football. Infact you might even find the atmosphere to be worse. But you have to close your mind to atmosphere and watch the football closely. Then you will start to see what I mean about how atmosphere colours peoples opinion of the game. Better still, watch a mans game, top level if you like, but mute your volume on your TV and see how it affects your viewing experinece.

For some of us, students of the game, the atmosphere means very little, as we are tuned in to watching the technical aspects of the game.

The level of skill on show is nothing like you suggest. Play is slow, passes are wayward, touches are often poor, so many shots are hit with poor technique that it is at times laughable. The football played is very rarely even at L2 level let alone Championship. I would be very confident that Town would easily beat either Norway or England if they were to play them. The atmosphere has nothing to do with it, I watched it with the sound barely on as my flatmates were asleep.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 67 - 130
Theimperialcoroner
June 23, 2015, 8:41pm

Posts Per Day: 1.05
Rep Score: +47 / -4
Approval: +5,318
Gold Stars: 103
Totally agree Matt. But then I know nothing about football.

Batch, Crombie, Moore K, Wiggington, Cumming, Waters, Bonnyman, Ford, Emson, Drinkell, Whymark. Love you all, You are the reason I'm on here. You've had help from Todd, Handyside, Futcher P, Groves, Mendonca, Macca etc etc etc. Up The Mariners!!!!!!!!!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 68 - 130
nightrider
June 23, 2015, 9:10pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.29
Rep Score: +4 / -3
Approval: +464
Gold Stars: 10
You'd hope a league 2 side could beat them
A decent sunday league would too I would have thought - the play is pretty pedestrian at times. Theyre allowed to play whereas in mens football, half a dozen tackles would have flown in before they were allowed to cross it.
Theyre technical very very good though, better than I expected.
Goalkeepers look abit crap. Anyone half decent at shooting from range will score past them
Mind you, I have only watched parts of the England games....

Christ you all wanted him sacked a few months ago. 6th place finish and he's now the messiah and can do no wrong  
Update:  I think I've got this right - He was the messiah. He then wasn't. He then was again. Then it turned out he actually wasnt. He turned into one big huge messiah again. Now he's not actually the messiah we thought he was . Now I'm hoping he rises again quickly
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 69 - 130
14 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Women's World Cup

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.