5 Pages 1 2 3 4 5 Next All Recommend Thread
Corkyefes
April 13, 2015, 1:00pm
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.34
Rep Score: +14 / -3
Approval: -139
Gold Stars: 10
If I was Hurst, id be resting players for the Southport game and bringing them back for the last game at Aldershot.

The problem I think we've had in the last few games is that the players have looked tired and giving them an extra weeks break would do them the world of good going into the play offs.
Also it gives the fringe players the chance to catch the managers eye to potentially play a part in the play offs.

In my opinion, this is Hurst's last chance to take us up.
Luckily for him, not being in the run for the title has now giving him extra time for preparation.

He needs to make the correct decisions in the next couple of weeks to save his job!
Private Message
TheRonRaffertyFanClub
April 13, 2015, 1:07pm
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.34
Rep Score: +43 / -11
Approval: +8,658
Gold Stars: 23
I wonder if Barnet's players are tired? It would be much better for the team to go into the playoffs on a roll with a couple of good wins behind them. We did the "rest players" trick before and it didn't work. In any case the players from Saturday ought to show what they can really do asap and play for their places.

“If all mankind minus one, were of one opinion, and only one person were of the contrary opinion, mankind would be no more justified in silencing that one person, than he, if he had the power, would be justified in silencing mankind.”
― John Stuart Mill, On Liberty."
Private Message
Reply: 1 - 41
Maringer
April 13, 2015, 1:11pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.87
Rep Score: +60 / -12
Approval: +16,658
Gold Stars: 189
Newport rested players against us the other season and it worked out for them on that occasion. As we've only got one game a week at the moment, I'd have thought it might be worth playing almost the strongest team as usual but just training them less intensely during the week?

Any important player who has been playing with a niggle could be given a rest, obviously.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 2 - 41
Corkyefes
April 13, 2015, 1:22pm
Cocktail Drinker
Barnet, at one point were miles ahead of the league and look at them now?
So to answer your question, yes, it shows that they are tired aswell.

But Barnet are not who I'm talking about, my point is WE have looked tired, so what's the point in playing players in these pointless games, when there is a chance of burning them completely out or any of our important players picking up an injury?

How would you feel if Pearson or Magnay picked up an injury against Southport which ruled them out of the play offs?

My point is, Hurst has got decisions to make and playing the fringe players for the Southport game should be his first one!
Private Message
Reply: 3 - 41
BIGChris
April 13, 2015, 1:31pm
Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 1.97
Rep Score: +70 / -24
Approval: +2,654
Gold Stars: 6
Rest the players or play them to keep them sharp?

If we end up going up his decision will be the correct one, if we dont, then he will be wrong!
Private Message
Reply: 4 - 41
GYinScuntland
April 13, 2015, 1:38pm

Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.49
Rep Score: +21 / -6
Approval: +3,253
Gold Stars: 98
Sod that.
I haven't booked trains and hotels to watch the second team in an end of season means nothing to the team kick about.
Insult to the travelling fans if they do that.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 5 - 41
BIGChris
April 13, 2015, 1:45pm
Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 1.97
Rep Score: +70 / -24
Approval: +2,654
Gold Stars: 6
Quoted from GYinScuntland
Sod that.
I haven't booked trains and hotels to watch the second team in an end of season means nothing to the team kick about.

Bigger Picture?
Private Message
Reply: 6 - 41
RichMariner
April 13, 2015, 1:56pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.50
Rep Score: +42 / -4
Approval: +9,160
Gold Stars: 211
It's a difficult one, this. There are arguments for and against 'resting' first teamers.

So Hurst is damned if he does, and damned if he doesn't, because there will always be a section of the crowd who will say he got it wrong if we fail in the play-offs.

But I'd say that the run we've just been on demonstrates that he has been learning. My concern is whether we peaked too early, and the Wrexham performance has forced me to consider whether we're going to revert to type.

God I hope not.

"Don't shine that light in my face, mate - I've just lost a pint of blood."
Logged Offline
Site Private Message
Reply: 7 - 41
Corkyefes
April 13, 2015, 1:59pm
Cocktail Drinker
Quoted from BIGChris
Rest the players or play them to keep them sharp?

If we end up going up his decision will be the correct one, if we dont, then he will be wrong!

What do you think Chris?

I don't know about keeping the players sharp because the haven't looked sharp at all.

The last three performances have screamed out to me that some players need a little extended break!
Private Message
Reply: 8 - 41
Corkyefes
April 13, 2015, 2:02pm
Cocktail Drinker
Quoted from GYinScuntland
Sod that.

Play a full strength side at Southport and then lose in the playoffs because players are tired?

Think you're not thinking about the team in this one and just thinking about your wallet.

If somebody said to me that Town will play a reserve team at Southport but will win the playoffs, but only if you went to the Southport game.... then I'd start walking there now!
Private Message
Reply: 9 - 41
5 Pages 1 2 3 4 5 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Rest Players for Southport

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.