TAGG
April 5, 2015, 9:35am

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.93
Rep Score: +26 / -27
Approval: +2,941
Gold Stars: 127
Quoted from sutton mariner
No this isn't a 'let's blame it all on the referee' thread.

Considering I'm seeing comments like 'never seen a referee influence a game so much as today' on Twitter im not too sure that's all that fair.

Alright a few of his calls went again us and there were definitely 2 or 3 wrong calls, but I really didn't think he was THAT bad. For the abuse he got at the end especially.

It was a heed player that he gave a red...

I wouldn't say he had a good game but to say he effected the result is a bit over the top.

Huge game Monday need to win all 4 now!

UTM

The Ref wasn't the best as is the case with all refs in this league.
It's so boring people going on and on and on and 😴 😴 😴
FFS if Town can't play Refs like Gateshead then that's down to the Manager and players not bad Refs.

In his three stints as Grimsby Town manager spanning over 10 years the club was never relegated and he also guided them to three promotions.
Only 14 managers have reached 1,000 matches in charge of a Football League team by 1998 and Buckley is one of them.
GOD
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 40 - 63
aldi_01
April 5, 2015, 9:53am

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.02
Rep Score: +54 / -20
Approval: +5,679
Gold Stars: 473
He wasn't the best ref. I thought Arnold was fouled in the build up to their second goal, he'd certainly pulled players up for the same thing earlier in the game.

The yellow for Diz was correct but it didn't stamp any authority on the game when a worse challenge was committed by a gateshead player and not even a word was had.

Pearson deserved a caution although Rankine could've walked. Gateshead play for silly fouls, get at the ref and use professionalism to the max. Is it wrong? Not technically but it's a reason why I wouldn't want Mills as our manager. I'd like to think my side, whoever they may be could play their way out of games.

The standard of refereeing has been particularly bad this season and not just for us but then again, nothing will change because all the focus in this country now is on the top 6 clubs and keeping them happy...

'the poor and the needy are selfish and greedy'...well done Mozza
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 41 - 63
EY Mariner
April 5, 2015, 9:59am
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.14
Rep Score: +9 / -2
Approval: +865
Gold Stars: 5
Of course the referee influenced the result. He got two big decisions completely wrong - namely the free kick for the second Gateshead goal and his refusal to give a penalty for the foul on John-Lewis - and was totally inconsistent in his treatment of the two teams. We had enough chances to win the game anyway, but let's not absolve the referee of his responsibility of basic competence.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 42 - 63
rancido
April 5, 2015, 10:23am

Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.26
Rep Score: +41 / -10
Approval: +6,683
Gold Stars: 102
Unfortunately our players gave the ref an excuse to blow for fouls. We know what Gateshead are like and we should have been prepared for their level of gamesmanship.

The Future is Black & White.
"The commonest thing on this planet is not water , as some people believe, but stupidity ". Frank Zappa
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 43 - 63
FishOutOfWater
April 5, 2015, 11:23am
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.14
Rep Score: +52 / -7
Approval: +6,590
Gold Stars: 37
Quoted from TAGG

The Ref wasn't the best as is the case with all refs in this league.
It's so boring people going on and on and on and 😴 😴 😴
FFS if Town can't play Refs like Gateshead then that's down to the Manager and players not bad Refs.

I would rather see our players any day try to win tackles physically  fairly and squarely than have us play the "ring a ring a roses - all fall down" gamesmanship that Gateshead bring EVERY time I've seen them play

It's the refs job to ensure cheats don't prosper and for that reason yesterday imho he was not up to scratch. Consistently inconsistent
Logged Offline
Private Message Skype
Reply: 44 - 63
Nelly GTFC
April 5, 2015, 3:59pm
'Usually Positive'
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.84
Rep Score: +26 / -5
Approval: +2,778
Gold Stars: 31
He's going to be the linesman for the Crystal Palace vs Man City game tomorrow lol.

Look at his record >> [url=http://uk.soccerway.com/referees/john-brooks/199433/]http://uk.soccerway.com/referees/john-brooks/199433/[/url]

Performance / Top Scorers / Assists / Discipline - Grimsby Town Statistics >> [url]https://www.espn.co.uk/football/team/squad/_/id/386/eng.grimsby[/url]
Form Over Last 10 Games - Grimsby Town >> [url]https://www.footballwebpages.co.uk/grimsby-town/form-guide/ten[/url]
Player Contracts - Grimsby Town >> [url]http://codalmighty.com/site/ca.php?article=4202[/url]
Links on football clubs inc Grimsby Town >> [url]https://footballclubforums.com/[/url]
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 45 - 63
barralad
April 5, 2015, 4:18pm
Mariners Trust
Posts Per Day: 2.31
Rep Score: +85 / -22
Approval: +9,301
Gold Stars: 127
Quoted from 120790
Look if we engineerd more goals than they scored then the free kicks we constantly gave away are irrelevant. But we didn't

We let the ball loose too frequently resulting in our players putting in their body and limbs into positions that invited free kick decisions which were far too often simply free kicks.

Too often we bothered players and fouled Gateshead players when frankly the Gateshead player could  do no harm. In such instances I found my self shouting "don't dive in, leave him alone, don't foul", but alas, our players would dive in, giving away flouls. It was being really naive in the challenge.

Let's not be daft about it. YES they committed fouls too and the referee was  wry consistent in a acting on what he saw. Hey he gave a red card to one of theirs, not ours.

As fans we have to man up a bit and accept that on the whole the ref did a grand job

I don't bother with this red cross thingy but for their first goal I was desperate for someone/anyone to get some sort of tackle in. Standing off got us exactly nowhere in that instance. For me that was the influence of the referee because our players looked as though they daren't challenge...

The aim of argument or discussion should not be victory but progress.

Joseph Joubert.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 46 - 63
Hagrid
April 5, 2015, 4:27pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.80
Rep Score: +49 / -21
Approval: +20,527
Gold Stars: 547
Just seen the highlights, how on earth did the referee book pearson for the incident with rankine, he did absolutely nothing!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 47 - 63
cmackenzie4
April 5, 2015, 4:53pm

Recovering Alcoholic
Posts Per Day: 11.22
Rep Score: +130 / -10
Approval: +14,346
Gold Stars: 34
Rankine should of been shown a red, he fouled Toto and then he pushed/grabbed Pearson, how the ref gave Pearson the same card as Rankine is bizarre!

Grimsby and proud!
Private Message
Reply: 48 - 63
April 5, 2015, 8:27pm
Guest User
There are plenty of occasions when you just need to jockey the opponent with the ball, without diving in and not commiting a foul. However yesterday was a day of constant poor decision making with our defending as a team from the front to the back. By this I mean diving in and fouling or inviting the opportunity to concede a free kick, at times when the challenge wasn't needed.

No I don't mean you have to stand off. Anybody familiar with defensive techniques and body shape will understand. It isn't always necessary to barge in for the ball. You have the opportunity to prevent the opposing player from travelling with the ball down avenues or channels. You close off access and wait for the best time to challenge. Press and cover techniques.

But all too often we lunged in giving away 25-30 free kicks.

I don't have any problems with a "take one for the team" free kick, but cannot abide such a large amount of needless fouls. The ref called them right and it resulted in the game pace and tempo being constantly interrupted.

Now of course there are likely to be things that go unpunished or missed. They go both ways.

1. LJL penalty decision. Maybe. But maybe not.
2. The elbow. That was punished. Was it a red card? Well it would have to be deliberate to be a red card and the ref made a call on that based on his opinion.
3. Should Gateshead have had a penalty for handball. Gateshead thought so but the ref didn't.

I just hope and pray that the game tomorrow isn't spoilt for me by too many needless fouls on our part. Instead I hope we use our experience to make better defensive judgements (not just our defenders)
Reply: 49 - 63
7 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Referee

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.