Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › What is Hurst smoking?
Users Browsing Forum
No Members and 54 Guests

What is Hurst smoking?

This thread currently has 16,888 views. Print
13 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 Next All Recommend Thread
Quagmire
February 15, 2015, 2:47pm

Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.13
Rep Score: +19 / 0
Approval: +932
Gold Stars: 43
If you go back a year on here you'll see the exact same posts re Hurst.  Nothing improves, he doesn't learn, it's the same old same old - and it's not good enough.

People on here saying we shouldn't sack the manager at this stage of the season last year - and what good has standing by him done?  Absolutely nothing.  The same problems crop up time and time again - a lack of creativity in the team and no goalscorer.

We're pretty much in the same position as last year ie limp into the play offs and hope for a bit of luck.  In fact if anything we're now concerned that we'll even make the play offs.

We will not be promoted under Hurst, it's as simple as that.  He has to go.

Unfortunately he won't.  We'll probably end up saying the same things next year as Hurst is given another crack at it in the summer in the name of 'continuity'.  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 40 - 122
BIGChris
February 15, 2015, 2:48pm
Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 1.97
Rep Score: +70 / -24
Approval: +2,654
Gold Stars: 6
Hurst will (& should IMO) remain in charge until the season is over. At present we have a chance of the play-offs and that could yet mean promotion, especially if we can recapture the performances against Barnet & Eastleigh.

If we dont go up then I think it will be time for a change. Not because we will have 'only' made the play offs but the fact that the home form has been so far short of the required standard in both style and results
Private Message
Reply: 41 - 122
barralad
February 15, 2015, 3:25pm
Mariners Trust
Posts Per Day: 2.31
Rep Score: +85 / -22
Approval: +9,299
Gold Stars: 127
Whoever said "A week is a long time in politics"  obviously had an eye on professional football as well. Not three weeks ago all the talk on here was about catching Barnet and winning the league. Now some of the same people are reverting to the "we have no hope" view.
It is patently untrue to say Hurst cannot motivate a team and you don't have to go very far back for the evidence. Somebody quoted along the lines of we've won without playing well?? From that one can only assume they weren't at the Barnet game or at Eastleigh (the best away performance since Cambridge last season).
I genuinely don't understand why people put so much stock on what the bloke says in a post match interview. Less than a month ago he was saying there were no plans to sign Jolley FFS.It's an obligation they have to fulfill. I don't listen to it and don't feel my life is in any way diminished by not doing so

The aim of argument or discussion should not be victory but progress.

Joseph Joubert.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 42 - 122
Jaws
February 15, 2015, 3:26pm
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.24
Rep Score: +7 / -3
Approval: +1,306
Gold Stars: 11
Barnet have dropped 9 points in the last 6 games. They've had their bad stint, unless 3 teams absolutely collapse for the remainder of the season we've no chance of being top, we need to be looking over our shoulders.
Private Message
Reply: 43 - 122
TheRonRaffertyFanClub
February 15, 2015, 3:26pm
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.34
Rep Score: +43 / -11
Approval: +8,658
Gold Stars: 23
Quoted from BIGChris
Hurst will (& should IMO) remain in charge until the season is over. At present we have a chance of the play-offs and that could yet mean promotion, especially if we can recapture the performances against Barnet & Eastleigh.

If we dont go up then I think it will be time for a change. Not because we will have 'only' made the play offs but the fact that the home form has been so far short of the required standard in both style and results

We do have a chance of a play off place Chris - if we can score some goals. But can anyone say where these goals will come from? I'm less worried about the style than the results. It doesn't bother me if we have only 35% possession in a game as long as we create and take chances with that possession. Of course it would be nice to have a sweet passing Buckley style as well but the name of this game is get out of this league.

Hurst won't be sacked unless there is no chance of a play off place, we all know that. It is too late now. By the time the wheels of the Fenty Appointment Revival Tour start turning again, the season will be over.. Several players will be on the move then in any case so as long as a new manager comes in quickly in the close season it will make no difference to his team building plans.

“If all mankind minus one, were of one opinion, and only one person were of the contrary opinion, mankind would be no more justified in silencing that one person, than he, if he had the power, would be justified in silencing mankind.”
― John Stuart Mill, On Liberty."
Private Message
Reply: 44 - 122
chaos33
February 15, 2015, 3:30pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.58
Rep Score: +66 / -33
Approval: +18,000
Gold Stars: 362
Quoted from Quagmire
If you go back a year on here you'll see the exact same posts re Hurst.  Nothing improves, he doesn't learn, it's the same old same old - and it's not good enough.

People on here saying we shouldn't sack the manager at this stage of the season last year - and what good has standing by him done?  Absolutely nothing.  The same problems crop up time and time again - a lack of creativity in the team and no goalscorer.

We're pretty much in the same position as last year ie limp into the play offs and hope for a bit of luck.  In fact if anything we're now concerned that we'll even make the play offs.

We will not be promoted under Hurst, it's as simple as that.  He has to go.

Unfortunately he won't.  We'll probably end up saying the same things next year as Hurst is given another crack at it in the summer in the name of 'continuity'.  

This entirely.

"You should do what you love while you can"
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 45 - 122
ginnywings
February 15, 2015, 3:43pm

Recovering Alcoholic
Posts Per Day: 5.01
Rep Score: +88 / -32
Approval: +56,153
Gold Stars: 548
Quoted from barralad
Whoever said "A week is a long time in politics"  obviously had an eye on professional football as well. Not three weeks ago all the talk on here was about catching Barnet and winning the league. Now some of the same people are reverting to the "we have no hope" view.
It is patently untrue to say Hurst cannot motivate a team and you don't have to go very far back for the evidence. Somebody quoted along the lines of we've won without playing well?? From that one can only assume they weren't at the Barnet game or at Eastleigh (the best away performance since Cambridge last season).
I genuinely don't understand why people put so much stock on what the bloke says in a post match interview. Less than a month ago he was saying there were no plans to sign Jolley FFS.It's an obligation they have to fulfill. I don't listen to it and don't feel my life is in any way diminished by not doing so

Not by everyone it wasn't. We have been stuck around 4th/5th for about three seasons now and simply never look like moving to that next level. We may go up via the play offs but we may not. Three other teams will be just as keen to make sure we don't.

He starts talking about the play offs way too early for me and did the same last year. His comment yesterday was almost saying that it didn't matter that we were beaten by a team who were clearly going to finish above us because only Halifax of those behind us capiltalised.

As someone else pointed out, we were having this same conversation last year. The year before we were just happy to be involved in the end of season games for a change.

Sometimes you have to make bold decisions to achieve your aims and it seems those in charge of the club and the team are not prepared to do that.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 46 - 122
Marinerz93
February 15, 2015, 3:57pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.56
Rep Score: +89 / -11
Approval: +6,292
Gold Stars: 1
Our previous claim of doing better against sides in the top has gone with defeats to FGR and Brizze Rovers. We can make the play off's and still get promoted but that will only be possible if the players treat every game as a cup final.  Hurst has yet to show he can motivate a team in the business end of the season.  So I am struggling to see that ever changing.

I believe that Big Chris has hit the nail on the head and failure to get us up this season will result in Hurst going at the end of season.

Supporting the Mighty Mariners for over 30 years, home town club is were the heart and soul is and it's great to be a part of it.

Jesus’ disciple Peter, picked up a fish to get the tribute money from it, Jesus left his thumb print on the fish, bless'ed is the Haddock.
Private Message
Reply: 47 - 122
arryarryarry
February 15, 2015, 4:13pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.71
Rep Score: +26 / -28
Approval: +10,052
Gold Stars: 117
Quoted from barralad

Really?, I don't think so, many have been saying, me included, that despite the odd good performance and result we are nowhere near to winning the league and a play-off spot might be in doubt soon if we don't pick up and start to put a winning run together.

Defeat to Barnet and then at home on Tuesday to the bottom club might have JF looking for his PAYE tax document files.

Private Message
Reply: 48 - 122
RichMariner
February 15, 2015, 4:30pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.50
Rep Score: +42 / -4
Approval: +9,163
Gold Stars: 212
My frustration is that Hurst has built a very good squad. It's a squad that most other managers in this league would be envious of.

Sadly, I also feel that another manager could get more out of this side.

BUT - if we lose in the play-offs, Hurst goes, and we get a new manager in, he probably won't build a team as good as this one.

And so we'll not even make the play-offs and become the new Wrexham (perennial play-off losers and then mid-table dross).

"Don't shine that light in my face, mate - I've just lost a pint of blood."
Logged Offline
Site Private Message
Reply: 49 - 122
13 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › What is Hurst smoking?

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.