tashee69
February 15, 2015, 12:11am

Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.32
Rep Score: +28 / -4
Approval: +970
Gold Stars: 23
Quoted from Paris Mariner
We're not doing too badly. We've won 12 out of the last 20. Drawn two. We may not win the league but we've given Bristol a close run today and beaten Barnet and Macclesfield already. People forget it's a long haul and the play-offs are a lottery. It's ours to win as much as anybody else. February is a tough month for us - Forest Green, Bristol Rovers and Barnet. Not to mention Macclesfield and Eastleigh in weeks prior to that. We've got some very winnable games coming up and we need on focus on that.

It's always a massive shame to come on here and see the doom mongers after two disappointing results - yes - but not season destroyers as some would have you believe. People need to get a bit of perspective, two games don't make a season and we're in the top four on merit. We can't be that bad. It would have been nice to have won today to get a few more down to Barnet - the 1000+ following I was hoping for at the beginning of the month probably won't materialise now but we can still go there and win.

UTM

All aboard the promotion train #choochoo

I'm not a doom monger, more a realist.
38 points out of 60 isn't that great, one that might sneak us into the play offs. Beat Barnet and Macclesfield, yes, also lost to Macclesfield and got a tough game away at Barnet to come. Our home record is poor. Unless something is done in altering our attacking ideas then this season, at best, is going to be another play off semi final defeat.
Today I did not think Rovers was that impressive. The amount of times possession was given away by both teams was shocking. The difference in the teams was they looked like was going to score by their creativity. We was just flat and pretty much clueless

Baldrick ! The only impression you can do is that of a man with no talent !!
GTFC team 09/10 - Baldrick, Baldrick, Baldrick, Baldrick, Baldrick, Baldrick, Baldrick, Baldrick, Baldrick, Baldrick, Baldrick.
Private Message
Reply: 30 - 109
Maringer
February 15, 2015, 12:13am
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.87
Rep Score: +60 / -12
Approval: +16,699
Gold Stars: 189
Firstly, no blame on McKeown for the goal as it was deflected off the defender. The irritating thing was that the chance only came because Clay had somehow let a simple pass run under his foot to set up their counter-attack. We should have been on the attack, but instead, we concede a softish goal.

I think they were certainly the better team today without creating too many chances. One excellent save from McKeown and a few other regulation ones, but the problem was at the other end where I can only remember Mildenhall having to make one save, the one where he got clattered by LJL in the first half. We just didn't shoot on the occasions when we got into good positions (not that there were that many of them) and today we saw the difference between a good performance against a decent team (vs Barnet) and a poor one. I'd have to say, I think that Rovers were reminiscent of both Crawley and Fleetwood in the way they played. Big, strong team, clever at winning free-kicks and spoiling opposition play (how often today did they get away with sly nudges on our players, I wonder?), and with a few decent players here and there. I think they looked a better team than Barnet. Just a pity that our attackers were so poor on the day. LJL worked his socks off but didn't get anywhere and, worryingly, there was absolutely no interplay between him and Jolley who looked a player completely bereft of confidence.

There's not much difference between success and failure in this League but I still don't think we're quite good enough to put the run of games together in the play-offs (assuming we get in them), to win promotion. On our day, we can certainly beat anyone in this division, but all it takes is a couple of average performances and we're half the team we can be.

Was Hannah definitely offside, then? I thought the ball moved a long way before he got to it so thought he could have been running from an onside position? Our defence also seemed to stop somewhat before their goal so perhaps the ball had gone out before that cross as well? Will be interesting to see what the highlights show.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 31 - 109
RichMariner
February 15, 2015, 12:49am
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.50
Rep Score: +42 / -4
Approval: +9,170
Gold Stars: 212
The most concerning thing I saw from the game was the reaction of the Town players after conceding the goal.

They looked totally dejected.

The body language was awful. They just seemed to accept that the game had gone. We could see how well organised Rovers were - and yes, it was an uphill task to break that mean defence down. But it was just a one goal deficit. And we had plenty of time left to get back in it.

It just looked like we accepted defeat there and then. Only when we went route one right at the death did we look like we believed we could score.

I'm really not sure Disley is captain material. As the Rovers players celebrated their goal, only one Town player was attempting to motivate the team - and that was Carl Magnay.

Also, on a side note, it looks like we're trying to accommodate a player who is either injured or badly out of form. If Neilson put in the performance that Jolley did today, he'd be dropped without question for the next game.

"Don't shine that light in my face, mate - I've just lost a pint of blood."
Logged Offline
Site Private Message
Reply: 32 - 109
Mrs Doyle
February 15, 2015, 7:20am
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.78
Rep Score: +22 / -13
Approval: +4,859
Had time to calm down and reflect on yesterday. I could not fault the effort put in by the lads particularly in the first half. One thing was obvious from early on Jolly is a winger NOTt a FECKIN centre forward he won nothing in the air and was to easily muscled off the ball. He needs balls threaded through to run on to no good playing to his feet he hasn't the muscle to hold it.

Another point the type of balls we were playing from the back were aimless WHERE ARE THE FECKIN PLAY-MAKERS IN MIDFIELD???  The game needed desperately somebody to take control.

Whatever their manager said at half time had the desired effect It was probably something along the lines of Mildenhall as had nothing to do, their attack is toothless and our defence is comfortable.

Right lets push up we can win this game they have nobody up front to fear from so let's double up on Lewis he's there only threat.

Mean while (young Mr Grace) Hurst: Your all doing very well lads keep it going we nearly had a shot on goal once.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 33 - 109
gtfc82
February 15, 2015, 8:36am
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.31
Rep Score: +8 / -4
Approval: +616
Imo Jolley doesn't look like he actually wants to be here. He's just stealing a wage until summer when he'll leave for pastures new! He flinched from challenges on numerous occasions and just wasn't up for the fight.
The 442 system was too rigid today. The wingers gave no supply to the strikers and our gameplan seemed to simply involve long balls to The Shop!
Can't help having a sinking feeling that play off failure is around the corner yet again! We just don't create enough chances!!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 34 - 109
itsnotcoditshaddock
February 15, 2015, 9:17am

Pontoonite
Posts Per Day: 0.16
Rep Score: +4 / -3
Approval: +312
Agree about Jolley, thought he was naff yesterday. And yet we have a striker chomping at the bit to get a run of games on the bench, 20 minutes here and there is useless to Ross Hannah. If Palmer isn't back for Barnet, I'd play Shop and Ross.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 35 - 109
H19P1
February 15, 2015, 9:19am
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.20
Rep Score: +3 / 0
Approval: +710
Or maybe Hamish Watson? He'll give 110% against Barnet to prove his worth
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 36 - 109
Lincoln Mariner 56
February 15, 2015, 9:32am
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.61
Rep Score: +23 / -4
Approval: +7,783
Gold Stars: 82
Llike Mrs Doyle I have waited before posting my comments.

Firstly, I would state my support for Mrs Doyle's commen, that where is the creative midfield player we have required since PH came to the club? Our build up play is slow and predictable and this is not helped by the woeful ball retention our forwards give the team. Walking away I was talking to another fan who summed up our midfield perfectly no creative ability but also fail to win the physical battle where required, lincoln and rovers just two recent examples.

Secondly, January signings, Palmer apart, look to have taken us no further forward. Robertson looks steady, his crossing was awful in the first half, but other than experience not sure what qualities he brings. Still struggling to understand what Winfarrah has to do to be given a chance. A bit of youthful exuberance may be just what we need.

Thirdly, our attacking play in home games remains dire, wingers do not beat their man, do not get crosses over quickly, Jolley was poor on the evidence of yesterday and LJL had one of his poor days when his second touch was a tackle. On the few occasions we did break we hardly ever had more than one player in the box so chances of picking up the pieces and scoring are slim.

Finally, do we have a system of play? Clearly in away matches we have and Macca alluded to this in the after match interview, in home games against organised sides we are clueless how to break them down and our stats for shots at goal yesterday must have been dreadful. Also interesting that both Macca and PH were not surprised the penalty was awarded , interesting to me as I seem to be the only person there who thought it wasa penalty. Blissett got there first and headed the ball, albeit straight out of play, and just after he headed it Macca clattered him, so pen for me, please use the cross sparingly.

One last comment should we by some miracle get to the play off final I would be happy to play Bristol. Think on a bigger pitch with the right tactics we can get behind their defence who though well drilled lacked pace down the middle. I also thought they were decent but not particularly quick on the break and whilst Macca had to make some decent saves they did not look like they had a striker like Gray or Vardy who is going to stick one chance away. It would be a close probably drab game but we would have a shout.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 37 - 109
Maringer
February 15, 2015, 10:00am
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.87
Rep Score: +60 / -12
Approval: +16,699
Gold Stars: 189
Quoted from Lincoln Mariner 56

Secondly, January signings, Palmer apart, look to have taken us no further forward. Robertson looks steady, his crossing was awful in the first half, but other than experience not sure what qualities he brings. Still struggling to understand what Winfarrah has to do to be given a chance. A bit of youthful exuberance may be just what we need.

I thought Robertson did OK against a quick, strong and tricky winger. He was beaten once in the first half (that I can remember) but, after that, looked pretty solid. His height was very useful against a team as big and powerful as Rovers who look to win a lot of set pieces and I have to say, I think that winger would have had Winfarrah on toast if he'd played!

Winfarrah did OK in his one main performance against Nuneaton when we had an injury crisis, but the theory he should have been brought in for an important game against a top of the table team when he's not played for almost 6 months is absolutely nuts!

Jolley looked a player badly lacking confidence to me. On the couple of occasions he got the ball and had a chance to run with it, he just never got going. Greatly different to the player we saw for Newport a couple of seasons back. Let's hope he gets back to some form quickly.

Ultimately, I've go no angst about the game yesterday. They looked strong and organised and simply played a lot better than us on the day itself. If we'd played well, the result may have been different. When we beat Barnet the other week, I was surprised that they were so far ahead of us at the top of the table as they looked pretty limited as a team when we played well. On the other hand, yesterday, I could see why Rovers are pushing for the top because they looked a good team.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 38 - 109
Jarmo.Is.God
February 15, 2015, 10:27am

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.98
Rep Score: +22 / -13
Approval: +6,050
Gold Stars: 86
I like clay, but was poor today, jolley is definitely not a striker !

Arnold was poor but against FGR he was alot better.

Take a breather, move on.

One question to Hurst, PLEASE bring Watson on before Hannah ffs, Hannah offers nothing
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 39 - 109
11 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › just back

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.