5 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 Next All Recommend Thread
Les Brechin
September 28, 2014, 7:53am

Posts Per Day: 4.16
Rep Score: +114 / -24
Approval: +12,730
Gold Stars: 174
Quoted from horsforthmariner

Completely agree with this - it seems to me the last two seasons we've had a load of momentum in the league and then from November to January we only play a league game every 3 weeks and shock horror our then it all goes to pot. I'd field a side that allowed macca a rest in goal in round one of the trophy.

No team has won the conference and the trophy in the same season.

Colchester did but that was back in 91/92.

[img]https://news.images.itv.com/image/file/402260/image_update_img.jpg[/img]
OFFICIAL FUNDRAISER FOR THE BRAIN TUMOUR CHARITY
TOTAL AMOUNT RAISED SINCE AUGUST 2008 £16613.24

LATEST DONATION - FROM DONATION FROM THE FISHY FORUM - AUG 2023 AMOUNT RAISED £170.00

Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 10 - 43
Richard Cranium
September 28, 2014, 10:56am
Snakebite drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.07
Rep Score: +2 / -4
Approval: -36
Will probably make it to all of those games. We are on the up. Could have been 6 or 7 nil yesterday
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 11 - 43
horsforthmariner
September 28, 2014, 3:23pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.29
Rep Score: +7 / -2
Approval: +2,638
Gold Stars: 9
[quote=120797]

Not far off though !!!
York won the playoffs and the Trophy in 2011/12.
Cambridge won the playoffs and the Trophy last season !
I'm not a big believer in stats anyway + records are there to be broken...
Would be quite easy to say Town haven't gained promotion for x years, but doesn't mean I should therefore conclude I don't think we can.

But how much is down to the weather ? You tell me...

The fact is the teams at the top have generally got out the FA trophy early. Look at the advantage Liverpool had in the league last year not playing European football last season of more rest breaks for there players, more time to plan for league games etc. we seem to have a smaller squad with more talent this year lets make sure they play as many IMPORTANT games.

More games do get called off in FA trophy because of the pants drainage the further down you go causing more fixture backlog

We don't earn really anything unless you go to wembley - you can lose cash on it if you are unlucky. Saturday attendances on average are about 500 more than Tuesday attendances so the FATrophy shifting league matches to Tuesday costs us those extra 500 on our league gate. FA trophy attendances barely cover the fixed costs of things like policing etc

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 12 - 43
Mariner Ronnie
September 28, 2014, 3:52pm

Lower Findus
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.80
Rep Score: +45 / -6
Approval: +1,100
Gold Stars: 6
at least the replays are scrapped now, aren't they?

Today we got our team back - town fan leaving Wembley may 2016
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 13 - 43
Garth
September 28, 2014, 4:04pm

Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 1.91
Rep Score: +55 / -13
Approval: +4,936
Gold Stars: 27
Difficult, don`t like playing to lose, my  heart says go for broke on both fronts, head and past experience says the quicker we are out the better but that risks us ending up with nothing should the league fail
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 14 - 43
grimsby pete
September 28, 2014, 4:11pm

Exile
Posts Per Day: 9.78
Rep Score: +126 / -28
Approval: +17,836
Gold Stars: 222
Quoted from Garth
Difficult, don`t like playing to lose, my  heart says go for broke on both fronts, head and past experience says the quicker we are out the better but that risks us ending up with nothing should the league fail

We should not play to lose,

BUT

The likes of Bastock, Walker , Humble Winfarrer and Captain Disley should play,

Along with any promising youth team members,

If they get to Wembley , which is unlikely but if they do,

They keep their place for Wembley.

Over 37 years living in Suffolk but always a mariner.
                             69 Years following the Town

Life member of Trust

First game   April 1955

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 15 - 43
September 28, 2014, 4:34pm
Guest User
The fact is the teams at the top have generally got out the FA trophy early. Look at the advantage Liverpool had in the league last year not playing European football last season of more rest breaks for there players, more time to plan for league games etc. we seem to have a smaller squad with more talent this year lets make sure they play as many IMPORTANT games.

Guess it's reasonable to assume Liverpool's league and European games would be played by the same 11 (or say core 15).
If we play the Trophy (early rounds), it's possible to think it could be a fringe/youth setup, far far weaker ? (i.e. mainly independent of first XI)

Who have we got ?
Bastock, Bignot, Humble, Paddy/Dis?, Doig ?, Walker, Winfarrah, Bemrose + probably 1 returning from injury

That's 9, wack in a few yoofs (or maybe a lot more) it's a completely different setup ?

So really, it comes full circle back to the weather and the risk of postponing league games and fixture backlog.

But whether Trophy or not, guess we may need to put on these games (for the above personnel) anyway.
Why ?
Well what if we get a major injury crisis (stranger things have happened deep into the season) just as we're about to clinch automatic promotion ?
Last thing we want is asking players who've barely kicked a ball all season to come in last minute to deliver us to the promised land.

Point taken we only really gain unless we get to Wembley.
But without wanting to penny pinch, equally how much are these "Town XI" games gonna cost ? And can we even set them up ?

The other forgotten factor of course is the FA Cup (had a good run last year that means 3 fronts !)
Which begs the question, do we sacrifice the FACup too ?!!  
Given the financial benefits and fan interest, I'd very much doubt it, yet have a stormer, it could (albeit unlikely) still have a small effect on the league too.

I'm just wondering if the best thing might be to play the Trophy by ear & by round instead of deciding on an outright strategy.
Weighing up the risk of postponement and backlog v any need to keep fringe players fit.
And if in doubt, get the intercourse out ! (assuming Miners Welfare would take our youths apart and we can't just throw a forfeit...)
Also wondering if there are any rules on fielding understrength teams...

Good question Mariner Ronnie !

Phew...
Reply: 16 - 43
horsforthmariner
September 28, 2014, 4:54pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.29
Rep Score: +7 / -2
Approval: +2,638
Gold Stars: 9
I've got to say I would have a lot less problems with the FA trophy if it was a) played midweek where possible b) didn't take precedence over league games c) started earlier and preferably pre season d) tightly regionalised in the early rounds
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 17 - 43
cmackenzie4
September 28, 2014, 4:57pm

Recovering Alcoholic
Posts Per Day: 11.23
Rep Score: +130 / -10
Approval: +14,345
Gold Stars: 34
The thing is even if we do play a weakened team and get knocked out we could still face a fixture backlog due to the other teams who we will be due to be playing in the league getting through to the next round in the cup. The trophy takes preference so i believe?

Grimsby and proud!
Private Message
Reply: 18 - 43
September 28, 2014, 5:34pm
Guest User
I've got to say I would have a lot less problems with the FA trophy if it was a) played midweek where possible b) didn't take precedence over league games c) started earlier and preferably pre season d) tightly regionalised in the early rounds

I agree but that's life. (or the FA !)

Regards b), looking at my Mariners desktop fixture list (it's great ! ), can see:
Dec 13: FA Trophy 1st round
Jan 10: FA Trophy 2nd round

Are these Saturdays "pencilled in" so to speak, so as to NOT interfere with league games ?
I've got a feeling they are ?
I can't see any other Saturday "gaps" after the 2nd round though.

Also assume if they get postponed they could be re-scheduled to interfere with the league games (as per cmackenzie4's last point below...)

Quoted from cmackenzie4
The thing is even if we do play a weakened team and get knocked out we could still face a fixture backlog due to the other teams who we will be due to be playing in the league getting through to the next round in the cup.

Interesting !
So are you saying we should maybe play a strong(er) or full strength team ?
This is turning into the ultimate football geek/trainspotter thread.  
But I like it...  
Quoted from cmackenzie4
The trophy takes preference so i believe?

Have a feeling you're right ! (but not 100% sure)
Bloody confusing innit ?
Reply: 19 - 43
5 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Next three Saturdays

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.