Users Browsing Forum
No Members and 153 Guests

Just back to car

This thread currently has 10,923 views. Print
8 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 Next All Recommend Thread
September 11, 2014, 12:05am
Guest User
Quoted from barralad
or The Pope would have stuck it away without a problem.

You mean John Paul ?  
Reply: 60 - 76
mimma
September 11, 2014, 12:57am
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.44
Rep Score: +15 / -2
Approval: +5,574
Gold Stars: 78
What I don't understand is we knew what was coming, big players, lots of crosses.

If you give a team like Lincoln time out wide to deliver crosses they will hurt you.

Answer is to stop them getting in good crosses from wide areas, make the rush, or pass it back.

Tall players are no good if they don't get good delivery.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 61 - 76
September 11, 2014, 1:17am
Guest User
Great point !
What's the point running over if you're not gonna stop the ball coming in ?

Highlights make for uncomfortable viewing and Bignot, dear me...
Might be ok getting forward but wondering if we need a full back sooner rather than later.
Walker is very promising but not convinced he's the best defender at RB.
Reply: 62 - 76
chaos33
September 11, 2014, 6:20am
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.58
Rep Score: +66 / -33
Approval: +17,951
Gold Stars: 360
Quoted from mimma
What I don't understand is we knew what was coming, big players, lots of crosses.

If you give a team like Lincoln time out wide to deliver crosses they will hurt you.

Answer is to stop them getting in good crosses from wide areas, make the rush, or pass it back.

Tall players are no good if they don't get good delivery.

Indeed. Said the same thing elsewhere.

"You should do what you love while you can"
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 63 - 76
jamesgtfc
September 11, 2014, 8:00am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.16
Rep Score: +20 / -5
Approval: +13,015
Gold Stars: 190
Maybe McKeown should have come for the ball but as a defender Bignot should not have slowed down until the ball was won so he gets all the blame from me. Can't wait until Aswad is back so Magnay can play there.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 64 - 76
brad_gtfc
September 11, 2014, 8:35am
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.31
Rep Score: +16 / -3
Approval: +269
Just watched the highlights, so heres my view.
1st goal Toto gets caught ball watching but the goalscorer seems to come from deep with no midfield player tracking him, poor goal to concede.
I'm a fan of LJL but his two one on one finishes are absolutely pathetic from a professional footballer.
Bignot has had a shocker for the penalty (that they scored) expecting Macca to come all that way and claim is ridiculous, get rid of it.
Superb finish from Pittman, we've got one hell of a player on our hands.

As for the rest of the performance, the formation and the managers decision I can't really comment.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 65 - 76
friskneymariner
September 11, 2014, 9:48am

Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.56
Rep Score: +15 / -4
Approval: +4,159
Gold Stars: 38
Sitting right behind where Bignot gave the penalty away,he was shielding the ball waiting for McKeown to come for it,it was when the Lincoln player got past him he brought him down.

Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day,teach a man to fish and you give him an excuse for him to escape from the wife and kids for the weekend and drink lots of beer.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 66 - 76
diehardmariner
September 11, 2014, 10:14am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.00
Rep Score: +36 / -6
Approval: +17,643
Gold Stars: 539
In terms of tactics/selections, I'm afraid Hurst got it wrong.   Yes he scored and yes he's our captain but Disley hasn't looked on song for the last 6-8 months.  The four of Brown, Clay, McLaughlin and Neilson have showed the tempo and intensity we need to succeed in this division, unfortunately Disley can't offer that at present.  By all means a good player for the squad and to bring on late to steady the ship but definitely not at the levels of the previously mentioned four other midfielders.

For me we lost it not when Pearson went off but when we took Clay off.  His work and graft in the middle is so under-rated.  As good as Brown is, he doesn't seem half as effective without Clay.  They seem to have developed a great understanding in there and work so well together.  

Can't argue with any of the very valid points made about giving them too much width.  Neilson naturally comes inside so I'm not sure there's a need to go with an actual diamond.  If anything when he's told to play central he's more restricted than when he floats in off the wing.  When cutting inside from the wing he drags players with him to upset the opposition balance.  When central it's easier to just put a holding midfielder on him.

Worst we've been at the back all season.  We missed Boyce, did on Saturday too.  Sooner we can arrange a loan return with permanent deal to follow the better for me.  As good as Toto and Pearson are, we're better with Boyce in the side.

Tactically we got it wrong, we were sloppy at the back and we missed great chances at the other end.  Overall we were pretty poor but form generally goes out the window in a derby fixture and it's often a battle of the wills.  Like it or not, Tuesday night Lincoln deserved the win as they wanted it more than us.
They won't keep that tempo up all season and we won't be so poor many times either.
Private Message
Reply: 67 - 76
RoboCod
September 11, 2014, 11:31am
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.91
Rep Score: +70 / -19
Approval: +7,505
Agree with that DH, though I think we were unlucky to lose. Yes they could have been out of sight at H/T after hitting the woodwork and missing a pen, but then the same could be said if Neilsons effort had gone inside the post as we were in total control for that period.
In the end it took a goal that most refs wouldn't have allowed to separate the teams. I don't think anyone would have complained at a 2-2 draw such was the amount of incidents and chances at either end.

And I'll avoid any future Town games with Mr D England in charge.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 68 - 76
chaos33
September 11, 2014, 2:00pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.58
Rep Score: +66 / -33
Approval: +17,951
Gold Stars: 360
Quoted from diehardmariner
In terms of tactics/selections, I'm afraid Hurst got it wrong.   Yes he scored and yes he's our captain but Disley hasn't looked on song for the last 6-8 months.  The four of Brown, Clay, McLaughlin and Neilson have showed the tempo and intensity we need to succeed in this division, unfortunately Disley can't offer that at present.  By all means a good player for the squad and to bring on late to steady the ship but definitely not at the levels of the previously mentioned four other midfielders.

For me we lost it not when Pearson went off but when we took Clay off.  His work and graft in the middle is so under-rated.  As good as Brown is, he doesn't seem half as effective without Clay.  They seem to have developed a great understanding in there and work so well together.  

Can't argue with any of the very valid points made about giving them too much width.  Neilson naturally comes inside so I'm not sure there's a need to go with an actual diamond.  If anything when he's told to play central he's more restricted than when he floats in off the wing.  When cutting inside from the wing he drags players with him to upset the opposition balance.  When central it's easier to just put a holding midfielder on him.

Worst we've been at the back all season.  We missed Boyce, did on Saturday too.  Sooner we can arrange a loan return with permanent deal to follow the better for me.  As good as Toto and Pearson are, we're better with Boyce in the side.

Tactically we got it wrong, we were sloppy at the back and we missed great chances at the other end.  Overall we were pretty poor but form generally goes out the window in a derby fixture and it's often a battle of the wills.  Like it or not, Tuesday night Lincoln deserved the win as they wanted it more than us.
They won't keep that tempo up all season and we won't be so poor many times either.

Agree DHM.

"You should do what you love while you can"
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 69 - 76
8 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Just back to car

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.