Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Good manager.
Users Browsing Forum
No Members and 124 Guests

Good manager.

This thread currently has 4,958 views. Print
5 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 Next All Recommend Thread
August 23, 2014, 10:01pm
Guest User
Oooh I see the red cross brigade are out in force again latching onto me already !
Whoever you are, please say WHY you disagree, it might make for a more interesting discussion ?
Otherwise I'll just have to assume you're somehow frightened of someone making points you can't really argue against.
I welcome your input to the discussion !
Reply: 30 - 44
chaos33
August 23, 2014, 10:06pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.57
Rep Score: +66 / -33
Approval: +17,996
Gold Stars: 362
Quoted from 120797

Well like it or not, it's the truth !
Please go ahead and tell me they won't ?!

Not "making excuses", we had players out and didn't take our chances.

You can ignor these factors living in your own reality bubble all you like !

No doubt we DO have the ability to slaughter teams at home, especially with momentum.
But if we don't always win, it doesn't necessarily mean "we're not being positive enough"

Fact is, I TOLD YOU DOVER HAD NO CHANCE OF GOING DOWN. (see 7 + better still, read all 18 and dispute any if you can !)
http://www.thefishy.co.uk/cgi-bin/forum/Blah.pl?m-1408364516/

While it remains to be seen they duly beat Easleigh 2-1 today (playing 10 men 2nd half I understand !)
Time to give them some credit here (fat chance?) - they were a GOOD team at BP !

As for the question of whether the manager comments should be more positive, it's another matter !

As for this self fulfilling prophecy twaddle...  

Frankly I completely and totally disagree.  

I really don't see how we weren't positive before at home ! (no-one can explain how we weren't !?)

For me there is NO real difference at all except the opposition weren't parking the bus or defending or frustrating for long periods.

I put today's result down to 2 main factors:
1) Neilson back
2) most probably HAVING MORE SPACE TO PLAY IN (including on the counter) - pretty obvious really !

I'm sure it was a much improved performance today too.
But had Gateshead parked the bus, I very much doubt it would have been 6-1 !!!

In short, I don't buy any "If we win we're positive but if we don't we must be negative" rubbish.

I guess fans just need to keep their eyes open, feet on the ground and not expect easy thumpings all the time.

Not really sure what you're trying to say here. I think you might have missed a few points.
As for the 'played more football' comment - without saying too much, that remark came from a participant in today's game, so you'll forgive me if I give his view more weight than yours.

Hurst's tactics were spot on today and he had the guts to change his approach. He did what many have been calling for him to do, and the team executed the plan superbly. I wonder what the outcome would have been if Hurst had gone with your '7 selection changes and saving the strongest team for Alfreton on Monday' approach?

"You should do what you love while you can"
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 31 - 44
petethemariner
August 23, 2014, 10:37pm
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.32
Rep Score: +36 / -2
Approval: +1,011
Gold Stars: 16
After a great result today ( a really great  result) i will reserve my opinion untill i see us
dismantle a totally defensive side at BP, in this league it is often the ability to dispatch
teams at home that decides who goes up, we have dropped far too many points at BP
over the past couple of seasons, perhaps  part of  the reason is  the over critical home
fans, but the  way to shut them up is to produce the goods, do it and the home (and away)
support will be awesome.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 32 - 44
GrimRob
August 23, 2014, 11:15pm

Posts Per Day: 2.11
Rep Score: +76 / -34
Approval: +13,473
Gold Stars: 115
On only 36 times in 137 years have we won by a more emphatic scoreline. But most of those big wins have been at BP. Only twice has a Grimsby manager come home from an away game with a better result (Allenby Chilton from Bristol Rovers in 1957 and Alan Buckley from Boston in 2007). Pat yourself on the back PH.

'Tis better to have loved and lost than never to have loved at all.  
~ Alfred Lord Tennyson

Logged Offline
Site Private Message Skype
Reply: 33 - 44
Biccys
August 24, 2014, 12:03am
Posts Per Day: 2.03
Rep Score: +55 / -22
Approval: +1,226
Gold Stars: 27
Quoted from Getyourfactsright

Stop it, I like it.

A little bit of sick just came up in my mouth...

@biccysthefishy

£110,105

[url]https://www.easyfundraising.org.uk/causes/mariners-trust/[/url]
Logged Offline
Private Message Skype
Reply: 34 - 44
Marinerz93
August 24, 2014, 12:35am

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.55
Rep Score: +89 / -11
Approval: +6,292
Gold Stars: 1
Quoted from Biccys

Quoted from Getyourfactsright

Stop it, I like it.

A little bit of sick just came up in my mouth...

[IMG]http://i58.tinypic.com/2cschow.gif[/IMG]

Supporting the Mighty Mariners for over 30 years, home town club is were the heart and soul is and it's great to be a part of it.

Jesus’ disciple Peter, picked up a fish to get the tribute money from it, Jesus left his thumb print on the fish, bless'ed is the Haddock.
Private Message
Reply: 35 - 44
FFS
August 24, 2014, 2:03am

Beer Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.03
Rep Score: +38 / -2
Approval: +252
Gold Stars: 11
Quoted from 120797
Oooh I'll just have to assume you're somehow frightened of someone making points you can't really argue against.

FFS

"He is not only dull himself, he is the cause of dullness in others."
-Samuel Johnson
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 36 - 44
August 24, 2014, 6:08am
Guest User
Yes was a bit (or perhaps very !) childish I suppose...
Past few days frustrations all over now, seeing clearly, happy again !

chaos 3 points in reply here: (felt I should at least reply to you...)

1) Totally missed your initial point about "played some football". (was wondering what you meant !!)
Sorry, all I read was the "positive" bit.
So apologies, accept we played some or more football.
[and actually said we could pass it too albeit with different personnel to the ones used]
Perhaps it all bodes well for them to play under a variety of different styles in the future.

2) Watched the highlights now (brilliant !) and they did seem a bit more "revved up" !

Suppose I thought "negative" was about not trying hard enough to score goals to win (which I rightly disputed IMO)
But yes, if "positive" for you means stepping up a gear, attitude etc (tbf players sometimes do after disappointments see Dover) then agree, we WERE more positive !

My slight concern is, can we play to that same level of intensity every game though ?
Just been listening to Hurst post match say "It's a long hard season..."
tbh I really don't know...

3)
Quoted from chaos33
I wonder what the outcome would have been if Hurst had gone with your '7 selection changes and saving the strongest team for Alfreton on Monday' approach?

Well actually it was 4 but regardless, guess anyone would be hard pressed to top that !!!
Sure we can agree it's given everyone a big boost too !  

Simple answer to mine is who knows or perhaps much better, WHO the **** CARES !
So won't go into hypotheticals - just don't see the point after such a superb result !

For me, there's no question or mystery to it all, accept Hurst is far superior at managing than I would hypothetically ever be.
Guess we all debate football tactics, formations, selections etc thinking we know best (and guess sometimes we are) but guess we're not ALWAYS right either !

Anyway happy day !  
Reply: 37 - 44
chaos33
August 24, 2014, 6:13am
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.57
Rep Score: +66 / -33
Approval: +17,996
Gold Stars: 362
Fair play mate. I think we're all chuffed with the result and performance and that should be the unifying theme!

"You should do what you love while you can"
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 38 - 44
August 24, 2014, 6:16am
Guest User
Yeah I was acting like a spoilt brat last night sorry !
Reply: 39 - 44
5 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Good manager.

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.