This thread currently has 3,868 views. Print
4 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 Next All Recommend Thread
Dan
August 22, 2014, 12:35pm

Exile
Posts Per Day: 0.36
Rep Score: +36 / -17
Approval: +551
So because you make bigoted comments you shouldn't be able to get employment? Obviously what they've said reflects badly on them, but unless there's evidence their words translated into genuine discrimination, I'd say they should be able to work wherever they want. Even BNP members have jobs afterall.

Although I certainly don't agree with what they've written, and would never write something like that myself, what is essentially private communication should stay just that.

Quoted from John Fenty, April 2013
I deconstructed the flag to the point where it was safe and couldn’t be considered a danger
Private Message
Reply: 20 - 34
Chrisblor
August 22, 2014, 1:40pm

Elemér Berkessy
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.22
Rep Score: +53 / -18
Approval: +8,975
Gold Stars: 243
After the LMA tried to defend Mackay's comments as 'banter' look at this statement Cardiff City have just released:

Quoted Text
We had not intended to comment on matters which have been reported in the press over the last two days in relation to Malky Mackay and Iain Moody. However, following the statement released by the LMA last night we feel compelled to respond.

The LMA is the representative voice of managers, and whilst we understand it seeks to act in the best interests of its members, one of its major aims is to "encourage honourable practice, conduct and courtesy in all professional activity”.

Regrettably, we feel that the LMA has done no such thing in its representation of Mr Mackay and Mr Moody. The LMA were aware of the allegations from the morning of the search order, and their lawyers acted for Mr Mackay and Mr Moody throughout the legal process.

That the LMA has sought to criticise the Club for the timing of the report to the FA is preposterous, because the offensive communications have been in the knowledge and possession of the LMA for many months. When the messages came to light, over three months ago, the Club strongly encouraged and advised Mr Moody and Mr Mackay to deal with the issue directly with the FA.

It was made clear to them, and their LMA appointed lawyers, that the nature of the communications meant the Club was under a duty to report their findings to the FA if they did not take appropriate action themselves. Nevertheless, with the backing of the LMA, Mr Moody and Mr Mackay chose to do nothing. The LMA were therefore complicit in the attempt to conceal these messages (of which there were many more than the two isolated texts acknowledged by Mr Mackay).

We also point out that the LMA members have a ‘Code of Conduct’ incorporated into their managerial contracts. One of the requirements is “A Manager shall not use racist or other discriminatory language. A Manager’s behaviour should demonstrate to Players and other employees under his control that discrimination in any form is unacceptable.”

We therefore find it entirely reprehensible that the LMA should itself put out a statement which seeks to dismiss deeply offensive racist comments as 'friendly banter'.

If that is the view held by the LMA, as appears from its statement, we consider that Richard Bevan’s position is untenable and we call for his resignation.

Vincent flipping Tan

gary jones
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 21 - 34
TheRonRaffertyFanClub
August 22, 2014, 3:01pm
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.34
Rep Score: +43 / -11
Approval: +8,658
Gold Stars: 23
Quoted from Dan
So because you make bigoted comments you shouldn't be able to get employment? Obviously what they've said reflects badly on them, but unless there's evidence their words translated into genuine discrimination, I'd say they should be able to work wherever they want. Even BNP members have jobs afterall.

Although I certainly don't agree with what they've written, and would never write something like that myself, what is essentially private communication should stay just that.

If the comments were made verbally or even by personal text/email from and to a personal account then there could be a case for doing what you say. It is still dodgy ground though for a manager whose own association says that racial and discriminatory comment is a no-no. Ron Atkinson for example was finished in football for his comment which he didn't know was public at the time.

It probably was banter, the sort of lad's stuff you hear in the pub, but it was incredibly stupidly done.

“If all mankind minus one, were of one opinion, and only one person were of the contrary opinion, mankind would be no more justified in silencing that one person, than he, if he had the power, would be justified in silencing mankind.”
― John Stuart Mill, On Liberty."
Private Message
Reply: 22 - 34
Welwynmariner
August 22, 2014, 4:25pm

Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.23
Rep Score: +3 / 0
Approval: +337
Gold Stars: 1
Unfortunately most of this is irrelevant

These were exchanges between two senior managers at the same football club (Cardiff) and they were both likely to be re-united at Crystal Palace in similar roles. Whether they made these comments on private mobile phones or from personal e-mail accounts is irrelevant because they were made whilst in the course of their employment at Cardiff. It seems quite clear that Cardiff became aware of this and had given the LMA the opportunity to own up to the event to the FA before they informed the FA but this didn't happen. Arguably Cardiff could be criticised for letting things drag on as long as they seem to have done.

So from that position Cardiff probably had little choice but to do what they did. Can you be put in a position of considerable responsibility if you talk about people in this way? Surely the answer is "not in the 21st century"?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 23 - 34
TheRonRaffertyFanClub
August 22, 2014, 5:07pm
Special Brew Drinker
Quoted from Welwynmariner
Unfortunately most of this is irrelevant

Whether they made these comments on private mobile phones or from personal e-mail accounts is irrelevant because they were made whilst in the course of their employment at Cardiff.

Can you be put in a position of considerable responsibility if you talk about people in this way? Surely the answer is "not in the 21st century"?

The theory is fine and I agree with it. The reality is that this "banter" goes on all over the shop from football to banking. The same thing will be heard in pubs, clubs, dressing rooms, bookies .......... every day of the week, 2014 or not. Their stupid part was doing it in a way that inevitably came back to bite them - i.e. they got caught, they left an evidence trail. Electronics makes it easier to communicate these days but it also makes it easier to track. As a youth I was always taught to never put anything in writing that you might have to apologise for.

“If all mankind minus one, were of one opinion, and only one person were of the contrary opinion, mankind would be no more justified in silencing that one person, than he, if he had the power, would be justified in silencing mankind.”
Private Message
Reply: 24 - 34
Maringer
August 22, 2014, 5:20pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.87
Rep Score: +60 / -12
Approval: +16,699
Gold Stars: 189
Of course, they always have the option of being less stupidly bigoted?

Let's face it, from the 'witty banter' which has been leaked, neither really sounds as though they are the Brain of Britain.

In any case, I can't see how any black/asian player could trust Mackay if he were to become manager of their team now. Probably just about finished his managerial career then and there.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 25 - 34
TheRonRaffertyFanClub
August 22, 2014, 5:34pm
Special Brew Drinker
Quoted from Maringer
Of course, they always have the option of being less stupidly bigoted?

Let's face it, from the 'witty banter' which has been leaked, neither really sounds as though they are the Brain of Britain.

In any case, I can't see how any black/asian player could trust Mackay if he were to become manager of their team now. Probably just about finished his managerial career then and there.

Yes, it probably doesn't matter now they have been outed. They can't take back what they wrote can they? So you are right, any black/asian player would never trust him.

It won't make the stupid any less stupid though. Sadly the same things will continue to be said, maybe a bit more covertly that's all.

Private Message
Reply: 26 - 34
Rick12
August 22, 2014, 5:39pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.14
Rep Score: +42 / -3
Approval: +255
Gold Stars: 45

If the comments were made verbally or even by personal text/email from and to a personal account then there could be a case for doing what you say. It is still dodgy ground though for a manager whose own association says that racial and discriminatory comment is a no-no. Ron Atkinson for example was finished in football for his comment which he didn't know was public at the time.

It probably was banter, the sort of lad's stuff you hear in the pub, but it was incredibly stupidly done.

Agree with most of that.Obviously coming from a position of status should have known better though and been a bit more professional

One life,one love .
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 27 - 34
Welwynmariner
August 22, 2014, 6:23pm

Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.23
Rep Score: +3 / 0
Approval: +337
Gold Stars: 1

The theory is fine and I agree with it. The reality is that this "banter" goes on all over the shop from football to banking. The same thing will be heard in pubs, clubs, dressing rooms, bookies .......... every day of the week, 2014 or not. Their stupid part was doing it in a way that inevitably came back to bite them - i.e. they got caught, they left an evidence trail. Electronics makes it easier to communicate these days but it also makes it easier to track. As a youth I was always taught to never put anything in writing that you might have to apologise for.

Well - that's not my reality. He could have said (for example) "X is an untrustworthy ****", if that was what his dealings with X had shown, but including references to ethnic origin, sexual orientation or religion simply isn't something you can do in 2014.

Even the Fishy edits my use of the word indicated by **** so that bit of banter isn't allowed here.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 28 - 34
TheRonRaffertyFanClub
August 22, 2014, 6:52pm
Special Brew Drinker
Quoted from Welwynmariner

Well - that's not my reality. He could have said (for example) "X is an untrustworthy ****", if that was what his dealings with X had shown, but including references to ethnic origin, sexual orientation or religion simply isn't something you can do in 2014.

Even the Fishy edits my use of the word indicated by **** so that bit of banter isn't allowed here.

Well, that's the point really. It's open and public and therefore subject to legal actions. I'm just saying that under the counter racism and homophobia are alive and kicking between consenting adults who are usually fairly careful not to get caught.

Private Message
Reply: 29 - 34
4 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Malky Mackay

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.