2 Pages Prev 1 2 All Recommend Thread
chaos33
July 28, 2014, 8:38am
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.58
Rep Score: +66 / -33
Approval: +18,003
Gold Stars: 362
Shall I edit yours then? It's lose, not loose, and seem not see. Telling someone else what they mean doesn't make you look clever, especially when your remarks are badly spelled and punctuated.

You've got your view - fair enough, and I've got mine. We're all hopeful but honesty and pragmatism are important.

There's time to address aspects and sign more players and we'll see what September brings shall we.

"You should do what you love while you can"
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 10 - 19
Mariner21
July 28, 2014, 8:44am
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.13
Rep Score: +5 / -5
Approval: -232
I share the same fears as you chaos sadly I can't see Hurst fixing it now.  More of a loan mid Oct when we've lost x amount of points
Private Message
Reply: 11 - 19
July 28, 2014, 8:53am
Guest User
Quoted from chaos33
.....to be disappointed once again.............

I haven't seen, read or heard anything that gives reason to suppose that we are ready and able to challenege for the title. Yet.

Obviously, everyone can see that we're well short of strikers, particularly the scoring type, and Hurst's apparent satisfaction with our two suspect-looking full backs is a glaring oversight for me. No real clues to how we'll really play, both in terms of style or formation, or even starting eleven.

I would say, as of today, we are: keeper - check, centre midfielders - good, wingers - very promising, centre backs - look sound enough, but strikers and full backs - not good enough. In short, and taken on  the balance of pre-season friendlies so far, we don't look like we will score enough goals, or, be particularly good at preventing them going in against. That's not a great basis for promotion for me. Still time for more signings, so fingers crossed, but its not just about the players we sign....it's also about what we do with them. How we ask them to play.

I wanted to see us really set our stall out after yet another flop. To effectively say...'you know what? 5 seasons is more than enough. No more of this play-off torture and falling short on quality and application. This year will be different. We will address every shortcoming and become a formidable, title-challenging team'. I just haven't seen, heard or sensed that.

Yeah I have to go along with this I think chaos has got it about right the way I feel, I really wanted to start the season on positive with a genuine title contending team, but from what I've seen so far I'm not very hopeful.
But yes there is still time for at least the one big signing to create a buzz and give the team and fans a bit of a lift, over to you Paul hurst.
Reply: 12 - 19
moosey_club
July 28, 2014, 8:54am
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.70
Rep Score: +69 / -22
Approval: +20,326
Gold Stars: 229
Quoted from 1739

Our defence has been solid with Macca, Pearson, Aswad in the previous two seasons and I think it will be the same next season. Bignot from what I have seen is average but we have had 2 average right backs the previous 2 seasons (Hatton and Wood) and still managed to have one of the best defences in the league both times. I think Brown will help defensively as well as we wont get outrun in the centre mid as much as last season.

The right back will be exposed more this season, whichever one plays there, as i dont see Makreth defending as well as Colbeck. Colbeck, like him or loathe him, did a damn site more than your average winger on the defensive front, which i think will become evident this season.
Aswad has looked shaky in the games i have seen him so far and again it will be the left wing that gets chopped and changed this season in front of him , more so than the right i suspect so a good understanding will be difficult to to establish.
In the games i have seen, footage of highlights and the odd comment in reports then Aswad certainly has had a few words from the centre halfs already.  

2023/24 DLWDDWDLLLWDLLLLWDDDWDLLWLDLLDWDDWLLDWLWLWL but not NLN 😁
2022/23LDWDWWDWLLDWWDLLLDLWLLWLWLLWDDLDWWDDDLLWDWLWLW
2021/22 WDWWWWDLWWWWLLLWLLDLWLLWWDWWWLWDLWWDWWWDLWD play offs WWW Promoted 🥳
2020/21  LLDWWLDLDWLWLLLDLWLLDLLDLLLWLLLDDDDWDDDLWLWLWL .. hello darkness my old friend
2019/20  WDLDWWLDLWWLLLDLDLDLDDWWDLLWDDWWL WLLW - ended
2018/19  LWDDLLLLLLWWDWLLLWDWLWWWWLLLLWWWWDLLLDDLLDLWLW Hello Scunny  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 13 - 19
chaos33
July 28, 2014, 9:29am
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.58
Rep Score: +66 / -33
Approval: +18,003
Gold Stars: 362
Yep good points about our wingers.
At Harrogate, Thomas argued constantly and aggressively with his captain and his keeper.

"You should do what you love while you can"
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 14 - 19
headingly_mariner
July 28, 2014, 9:59am

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.98
Rep Score: +34 / -21
Approval: +10,403
Gold Stars: 124
I think we are pretty much there barring a couple of strikers, but we can certainly put out a really strong first 11

Mckeown, Bignot, Toto, Pearson, Thomas, Neilson, Disley, Brown, Mackreth, shop and Hannah

I think most teams in our division would look at that and struggle to better it, hopefully they gel and hit the ground running.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 15 - 19
acko338
July 28, 2014, 10:18am
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.83
Rep Score: +44 / -6
Approval: +3,212
Gold Stars: 33
Once we stick to Paul Hurst's chosen (and available after suspensions) first 11 on a regular basis, even if it's the one above, have we got the midfield and attack force at a better level than last season?

A lot of matches racing in in which to hit the ground running - is it 39 points to be gained up to the end of September?

How many points will we have - anyone venturing guesses? - I think we need at least 26 + to be in the top three places!

More will be a great bonus and a vindication of Hurst's choices for new players.

Fingers crossed !!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 16 - 19
Rob_in_Grimsby
July 28, 2014, 10:41am
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.14
Rep Score: +8 / -3
Approval: +686
Gold Stars: 8
Quoted from chaos33
Shall I edit yours then? It's lose, not loose, and seem not see. Telling someone else what they mean doesn't make you look clever, especially when your remarks are badly spelled and punctuated.

You've got your view - fair enough, and I've got mine. We're all hopeful but honesty and pragmatism are important.

There's time to address aspects and sign more players and we'll see what September brings shall we.

If I had known there was going to be a spelling and grammar test I would have revised  

Why not wait till the team is complete and we have actually kicked a ball before proclaiming immanent doom.

moribus facit hominem
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 17 - 19
Mighty_Mariner
July 28, 2014, 10:51am
Pontoonite
Posts Per Day: 0.83
Rep Score: +42 / -9
Approval: +2,246
Gold Stars: 10
Quoted from Rob_in_Grimsby

If I had known there was going to be a spelling and grammar test I would have revised  

Why not wait till the team is complete and we have actually kicked a ball before proclaiming immanent doom.

It's 'imminent' mate, not 'immanent' - More revision for you sir!

"They shall grow not old, as we that are left grow old, Age shall not weary them, nor the years condemn, At the going down of the sun, and in the morning, We WILL remember them"
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 18 - 19
oldun
July 28, 2014, 5:11pm

Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.90
Rep Score: +57 / -5
Approval: +3,475
20 points would be a good start. Can we get them? Not at all sure. Will know better when we have the suspensions out of the way.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 19 - 19
2 Pages Prev 1 2 All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › 13 league games before the end of September

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.