8 Pages 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 Next All Recommend Thread
Belfast Town
April 18, 2014, 7:07pm
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.33
Rep Score: +14 / -2
Approval: +1,700
Gold Stars: 19
Really enjoyed that. Entertaining match. Town well on top, save for 10-15 minutes early in the second half. Town fans were fantastic.  Ross worked his socks off - delighted for him to get his hat-trick.  Roll on Monday.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Alfie
April 18, 2014, 7:13pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.67
Rep Score: +22 / -11
Approval: +159
A very decent attacking performance - the best we've looked going forward for bloody ages.

Hannah looked like the player we all fell in love with during his loan spell. Probably the best that LJL/Hannah combo has played all season.

It was also an exceptionally shoddy defensive display. All three goals looked preventable. We haven't looked the same defensively since we 'released' Miller and even now - with two games to go - it still looks like an unforgivable decision. Crackers.

Don't think any of the back-five have come out of today with any credit. Just don't look composed or steady at the back. Even for the last goal, McKeown should be busting his lungs to shout for that ball and clatter Thomas. Shambles.

All things considered with the embarrassing delay to the game, a point isn't horrendous in the grand scheme of things but the game was there for the taking. So many snatched-at chances when we were leading to go on and extend our lead.

I'd have a serious look at Akinde in the summer.

How did Kempson stay on the field?

Hats off to the 1200-1400 Grimsby Town fans who made the journey - an absolute credit to the club today. Sensational support.

Think we'll stumble into the play-offs with one of Gateshead or Braintree dropping points on Monday and after that it's a complete lottery but if we don't make it, we only have ourselves to blame.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 1 - 75
meggietown
April 18, 2014, 7:17pm
Snakebite drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.07
Rep Score: +2 / -1
Approval: +70
Gold Stars: 3
Thought wood was lucky to stay on as well blatant double handed save an wish they would of shown his goal line clearance first half looked a good foot over line
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 2 - 75
grimsby pete
April 18, 2014, 7:19pm

Exile
Posts Per Day: 9.79
Rep Score: +126 / -28
Approval: +17,836
Gold Stars: 222
How many goals has Thomas given away this season with own goals and silly mistakes like today, ?

He could not have placed that ball better if he was playing for them,

If you can not clear the ball the last thing you do is put it across your own penalty area.

I hope he moves on in the summer.

Over 37 years living in Suffolk but always a mariner.
                             69 Years following the Town

Life member of Trust

First game   April 1955

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 3 - 75
ex-merseymariner
April 18, 2014, 7:21pm

Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.24
Rep Score: +12 / -10
Approval: +1,403
Gold Stars: 9
Good post. Amazed that kempson didn't see red for his professional foul or even second yellow for shirt pulling, surely wud have ended the game for them at that point?
Also, shocked we didn't use 3 subs for fresh legs. Thought we had far more chances than them, tv coverage seemed very pro home side.  Their keeper made a great save plus we hit bar.  Did Pearson win ball for their pen?

#newera;   New owners, new approach;  'we bought Grimsby Town to help renew the place we love'  
Join the Trust, get involved: UP THE MARINERS!  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 4 - 75
davmariner
April 18, 2014, 7:26pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.21
Rep Score: +37 / -11
Approval: +4,970
Gold Stars: 79
Thought Macca should have done better for their second but no one is really talking about that one. He tried catching it when he should have pushed it out for a corner.

Up The Mariners!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 5 - 75
WHYWONTYOULETMESIGNUP
April 18, 2014, 7:32pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.63
Rep Score: +16 / -2
Approval: +3,698
Gold Stars: 72
It seems like we've wasted 3 points, im glad we scored 3 goals though, all I'll say is when the fixture list came out, my dad looked at braintree on the list day and said "oh no! knowing town it'll come down to needing a win at braintree away on the last day!" and well well well....when all town need to do, is beat the worst team ever to grace the conference, at HOME.............don't know about anyone else but OH MY GOD  

My main complaint is bloody BBC uselesside, Just got back in the country from east midlands, unfortunately flight landed a bit too late for me to get to the start of the game, but if i'd have known about the delay quicker probably could've got there for half time. But ended up listening on the radio. ANYWAY, I can bear with prioritising scunthorpe over us, theyre in a higher league, whatever, I can grit my teeth when they decide to moan about the game till half time, and through half time at the town game, giving very little updates from the town point of view. Thought the whole time, at half time,they'll switch over to the town game. Which they did BUT, after maybe 10 minutes, went back to bloody moaning about scunthorpes amazing exciting 1-1 draw at morcambe, did interviews with players that seemed to go on for absolutely forever, didn't inform us about towns 3rd goal, went back to town commentary for a bit, then with no warning whatsoever, cut to some bloody programme about world war 1 for the remainder of the match. I don't care if there was 3 old grandads who were sat at home waiting for the exciting radio program about world war 1 at home as if they aren't going to be talking about it all year, there was probably plenty of town fans who wanted to listen to the rest of what sounded like a great game of football, and what an opportunity for humberside to keep their listenership above 12 for an extra few minutes. But no, they hate town.

Sorry, made me mad, needed to get home and have my big rant. Anyway 3-3, ok, somehow managed to make a match against hyde edgy but thats this season, its gonna be a wierd end to the season.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 6 - 75
MeanwoodMariner
April 18, 2014, 7:40pm

Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.39
Rep Score: +19 / -5
Approval: +2,673
Gold Stars: 8
Quoted from grimsby pete
How many goals has Thomas given away this season with own goals and silly mistakes like today, ?

He could not have placed that ball better if he was playing for them,

If you can not clear the ball the last thing you do is put it across your own penalty area.

I hope he moves on in the summer.

It was almost literally the only place he had to avoid heading it to. Game was won and it seemed relatively comfortable. After that we were lucky to take a point (which would have been a travesty over the 90 minutes).

As for Kepson staying on - incredible!! Did anyone else think the two footed lunge through the back of LJL in the first few minutes was worth a little more than a ticking off??? I thought it was a straight red but almost nothing was made of it. He was still able to commit a professional foul and haul down Pearson for the penalty and still stay on the pitch.

One final thing, the booking LJL got was possibly the worst refereeing decision I've ever seen.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 7 - 75
PB
April 18, 2014, 7:44pm
Beer Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.03
Rep Score: +1 / -1
Approval: +256
Gold Stars: 3
Quoted from Alfie
A very decent attacking performance - the best we've looked going forward for bloody ages.

Hannah looked like the player we all fell in love with during his loan spell. Probably the best that LJL/Hannah combo has played all season.

It was also an exceptionally shoddy defensive display. All three goals looked preventable. We haven't looked the same defensively since we 'released' Miller and even now - with two games to go - it still looks like an unforgivable decision. Crackers.

Don't think any of the back-five have come out of today with any credit. Just don't look composed or steady at the back. Even for the last goal, McKeown should be busting his lungs to shout for that ball and clatter Thomas. Shambles.

All things considered with the embarrassing delay to the game, a point isn't horrendous in the grand scheme of things but the game was there for the taking. So many snatched-at chances when we were leading to go on and extend our lead.

I'd have a serious look at Akinde in the summer.

How did Kempson stay on the field?

Hats off to the 1200-1400 Grimsby Town fans who made the journey - an absolute credit to the club today. Sensational support.

Think we'll stumble into the play-offs with one of Gateshead or Braintree dropping points on Monday and after that it's a complete lottery but if we don't make it, we only have ourselves to blame.

Good summary. I would also ask why was Neilson largely missing for the first half, yet was chasing everything in the second half.
Also, when was the last game where the away support outnumbered the home one?!  

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 8 - 75
Tommy
April 18, 2014, 7:44pm
Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 1.21
Rep Score: +60 / -15
Approval: +8,869
Gold Stars: 76
A decent Town performance marred by individual errors that cost us all 3 points.

Good going forward and in some spells played some good composed football.

Thomas got forward well down the left, Neilson was great on the right and Paddy was ok. Thanoj and Kerr did well in the middle although Thanoj went very quiet the more the 2nd half went on.

Hannah was nice and lively and pleasing to see any striker score a hattrick. Although 1 was a scuff and 1 a penalty. His second might well have been onside despite what BT sport guys said. Difficult to tell from the angle their camera was at.

Thanoj should've scored after that lovely move when Paddy flicked it into his path. Disley gets a lot of criticism on here but that was the type of chance Disley has been finishing for the last couple of years.

Alfreton's 1st goal was a good break from them but we we didn't react well to being unorganised when they broke.
We were well on top at the end of the 1st half and kept the ball well. Then 2nd half they started stronger.
Their penalty was a penalty. Stupid defending from Pearson who had his hands all over Akinde and then made a challenge and as soon ad he did you knew it was going to result in a foul.

Pearson did his best to make amends by winning a penalty after throwing Kempson a stepover and ambling into the box. After we got this 3rd goal we were well on top and looked likely to score again.

Then out of nothing an instinctive decision from Thomas to try and head the ball (don't know what the communication was like down there) and it ends up at their strikers feet to poke in.

Good performance. Just need to cut out the individual errors at the back now. Neilson MOM for me, best player on the pitch.

"The greatest mistake you can make in life is to continually be afraid you will make one."
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 9 - 75
8 Pages 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Just back

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.