Users Browsing Forum
AdSense, Googlebot and 61 Guests

Mega-tough team selection choices ahead

This thread currently has 2,148 views. Print
3 Pages 1 2 3 Next All Recommend Thread
80sglory
March 15, 2013, 2:39pm
Guest User
Sorry for the essay but no point losing detail of the argument...

Cambridge (H) Sat
Nuneaton (A) Tues

Wrexham (Wembley) Sun
Gateshead (A) Tue

Pen and paper out to chew over team selection for the next few games last night.
Have to say, I found it difficult.
I don't envy the selection dilemmas the managers are faced with over the coming days and weeks !!!  

Always been of the opinion successful teams perform a fine balancing act to utilise as many capable players to the max in order to help achieve success.
Most obvious example being Man Utd (not that I'm making any comparisons).

Still, with a cram-packed increasingly difficult fixture schedule ahead, personally believe if we're to have ANY chance of winning the title, we need to be doing more of the same AT SOME POINT. (e.g. play a better team get 3 points, play a weaker team get 3 points)

The whole situation isn't helped one iota by injurys to key players like Niven and Disley (will be assessed tomorrow hope he's ok to play).

Now obviously there's a fair old case on Saturday for picking a "best team" (whatever it is) to help bag 3 points and "get back on track".
But maybe similar to Hearn, even if there was a small risk Disley might aggrivate his injury by playing tomorrow, would it be a risk worth taking ?

Also in terms of points, Nuneaton is no less important than Cambridge.
I was very quick to think a home win on Saturday was crucial myself.
But surely we can't hide from the fact we also want 3 points on Tuesday too AND the next game AND the next etc etc ?
What I'm saying is, we need to seriously think of prioritizing different players for certain games.

Without wanting to accept 2nd best or lower expectations, I personally don't think a draw on Sat would be disaster for the title IF we could win at Nuneaton on Tuesday.
It's as of much value as winning on Saturday and drawing on Tuesday grinding out a point.

Obviously there's a greater risk of "doom and gloom" and for the "rot" to set in the longer you don't win.
But would hope we're too good a team for that to happen, like it's done in the past ?...

Even if the worst was to happen on Saturday (though it's not impossible we could go full strength and still lose), I would hope it's only a matter of time before we get "back on track" ?

Sure the title might be a tough old nut if the worst happened on Saturday,
But I'm sure people won't be too concerned about x successive defeats as soon as we've won and back on track for the playoffs ?
Whatever happens tonight (FGR v Mansfield) we've some breathing space to "make the leap" or "shuffle the pack" NOW (or Tues) if we want to.
And depending on injury, we well may have to anyway.

Many people (including the managers) have said it's all about peaking at the right time and I fully agree.
Guess it's possible we might be able to field a strongest team (not that it maybe is right now anyway) for 2-3 games and maybe even win the lot.
But how long can we win EVERY game at full strength for before fatigue or other injuries pop up and we're THEN forced to deal with it later anyway ?
If you really don't like certain players, there's an argument for seeing them contribute more now instead of being forced to rely on them (e.g. through injury) at the business end when they may be even less sharp or more unfit.
It's not only about the title either !
Last thing we might want is to rush players back, burn them out or ask them to carry knocks risking them before the business end if we reach the playoffs.

Anyway with so many games coming up, don't think we can just bury our heads in the sand saying we have to play the best/same team EVERY time.
Not without thinking ahead to the consequences.
So it begs the question, how much can you afford to rest some players in order to win SEVERAL games of football ?
You wouldn't risk breaking your sledgehammer to crack a nut if you were reasonably confident a hammer might do the job too, would you ?
"nut" that there are any easy games !
Nuneaton may sound urine easy on paper but they've only conceded 2 goals in their last 3 home games v Alfreton, Kiddy and Luton !

So I just wonder with home support to help v Cambridge, if we should field a stronger team v Nuneaton that could do a winning job there...?
But I don't know, it's a bloody tough call IMO - I'm very thankful it's not my decision to make !
Without knowing the opposition, personally I'd risk a few changes Sat and at least you're full strength on Tuesday if it all went wrong.

So I voted "Away v Nuneaton on Tue"

Also there's the question of which game (in terms of team selection) is more important - Wrexham or Gateshead ?
Especially if we win our next 2 in the league.

To cut to the chase...
As Scott mentioned on MP, think fans need to realise that if players are left out it's most probably NOT because of "performance" related reasons.
But I guess, because of a need to keep those left out fresh and at the top of their game in order to win in the future especially as we hit the finish line.
Whether it's playoffs or the title, what's the point in doing great and then running out of steam at the final hurdle ?
Would be awful, so we need to think ahead too IMO.

But YES, obviously we need to arrest recent results asap - so that's the counter-argument for a stronger team v Cambridge.

No idea what's gonna happen regards team selection (maybe they'll go near or full strength Sat) but what I'm saying is...
If tough choices are made and things don't quite work out the way we'd all like, think fans need to show some sympathy and not just go off on one spouting a load of cr@p about poor selection choices (especially if they don't understand the possible reasons for them).

Whatever happens, let's all pull together on Sat and for the rest of the season.
UTM.
Tommy
March 15, 2013, 2:51pm
Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 1.21
Rep Score: +60 / -15
Approval: +8,869
Gold Stars: 76
Cliche I know but I would take it one game at a time, especially with us trying to regain our form. Its a lot easier to make changes when you're winning games. We need to be playing our strongest available eleven to make sure we win IMO.

Tomorrow I'd go with

Mckeown
Hatton Pearson Miller Thomas
Marshall Naylor Wilson Devitt
Cook Hannah

Gamble putting Wilson in there when we haven't seen him play, but after I feel we need more than what Thanoj offered in the second half on Tuesday. And playing around someone he wouldve played and trained alongside in Devitt should help him settle. Of course this is assuming Disley is not ready to play.

"The greatest mistake you can make in life is to continually be afraid you will make one."
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 1 - 23
oldun
March 15, 2013, 2:52pm

Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.90
Rep Score: +57 / -5
Approval: +3,475
Wow fantastic 80's, what is the view like up your own backside. All that for no more than stating there are some difficult selection decisions to be made. Anyway for what it is worth my view is play your strongest available team.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 2 - 23
Rodley Mariner
March 15, 2013, 2:53pm
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.36
Rep Score: +63 / -17
Approval: +13,279
Gold Stars: 185
Quoted from oldun
Anyway for what it is worth my view is play your strongest available team.

Madness  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 3 - 23
ginnywings
March 15, 2013, 3:22pm

Recovering Alcoholic
Posts Per Day: 5.01
Rep Score: +88 / -32
Approval: +56,153
Gold Stars: 548
         Goalie

RB    CB    CB    LB

RM   CM    CM   LM

FWD   FWD

Some SUBS.

Piece of urine.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 4 - 23
rancido
March 15, 2013, 3:31pm

Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.26
Rep Score: +41 / -10
Approval: +6,667
Gold Stars: 102
Quoted from ginnywings
         Goalie

RB    CB    CB    LB

RM   CM    CM   LM

FWD   FWD

Some SUBS.

Very sensible post on the subject !!!

Piece of urine.

The Future is Black & White.
"The commonest thing on this planet is not water , as some people believe, but stupidity ". Frank Zappa
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 5 - 23
Chrisblor
March 15, 2013, 3:34pm

Elemér Berkessy
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.22
Rep Score: +53 / -18
Approval: +8,988
Gold Stars: 243
Quoted from ginnywings
         Goalie

RB    CB    CB    LB

RM   CM    CM   LM

FWD   FWD

Some SUBS.

Piece of urine.

Nah, what you need to do is write 20 rambling paragraphs about it that nobody will ever bother to read.

gary jones
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 6 - 23
80sglory
March 15, 2013, 3:37pm
Guest User
Quoted from Tommy
Cliche I know but I would take it one game at a time, especially with us trying to regain our form.

Completely appreciate that point of view.
And perhaps you're right, it's a tough decision like I said.

Quoted from Tommy
Its a lot easier to make changes when you're winning games.

Generally disagree there tbh.

Think it's normally the opposite and if we win on Saturday, almost everyone's gonna want the same team again on Tuesday, again and again as long as we keep winning.

But if you're saying change Tuesday then I could certainly appreciate the point.

Perhaps I shouldn't be worried but slightly concerned if we play the best team Sat and things don't quite work out.
Where would be for Tuesday ?
Just wonder if it could prove tough if we change or rest players there - we could do with a bit of consistency in putting together results.
Quoted from oldun
Wow fantastic 80's, what is the view like up your own backside. All that for no more than stating there are some difficult selection decisions to be made.

What's your problem ?
So sorry for trying to think ahead and putting forward a well rounded argument that can see both sides.
Quoted from oldun
Anyway for what it is worth my view is play your strongest available team.

Just on Saturday or keeping it for every game ?
Who knows, perhaps YOU need to get your head out of your backside and say when you would change it.
Tuesday ?
There's a team thread for both games available...
Reply: 7 - 23
jaygy
March 15, 2013, 4:04pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.29
Rep Score: +7 / 0
Approval: +2,351
Gold Stars: 6
I didn't read, too long. Play strongest, fittest team.......job done. How much a week do I get paid?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 8 - 23
mattgtfc
March 15, 2013, 4:10pm
Lager Top Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.04
Approval: -1
I would like to see Artus back in the team if there's no Disley or Niven.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 9 - 23
3 Pages 1 2 3 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Mega-tough team selection choices ahead

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.