This thread currently has 14,892 views. Print
8 Pages 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 Next All Recommend Thread
AlanPoutonsTackle
February 17, 2013, 3:59pm
Lager Top Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.08
Rep Score: +14 / -3
Approval: +57
I have to be honest and share this thought with other Town fans because after yesterday I still have little interest or excitement in the FA Trophy run.
I've wrestled with this one and know that the main reason is because all I really care about is promotion. I see this season as our big chance to get back into the league, as we all do but I think to get knocked out of the play offs but to win the FA Trophy would be a disaster.
I also think  that the bonus to it is money in JFs coffers for next season rather than lifting silverware.
My other downside though is when we first went down the FA Trophy was one of the early realisations that we were non league and I guess that still stands with me. It completely and utterly smacks of non league.
On saying that though I think it is a great thing for everyone involved and a dream opportunity to play at Wembley. I still hope we go on and win it but not at the expense of promotion. Pleased for the management, players, Mr fenty and the fans who have been struck by cup fever  just not at this time particularly gripped myself.
The question is am I the only one or is this a common feeling.

"With a minute to go Buckley said keep it in the corner, I thought he meant the top corner." - Jim Dobbin
Private Message
Ipswin
February 17, 2013, 4:01pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.10
Rep Score: +44 / -47
Approval: -3,552
Gold Stars: 89
WHS x10

On bended knee is no way to be free - Peter R de Vries

https://www.linkedin.com/pulse.....=public_profile_post
Private Message
Reply: 1 - 70
the ace face
February 17, 2013, 4:06pm
Lager Top Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.06
Rep Score: +7 / -7
Quoted from AlanPoutonsTackle
I have to be honest and share this thought with other Town fans because after yesterday I still have little interest or excitement in the FA Trophy run.
I've wrestled with this one and know that the main reason is because all I really care about is promotion. I see this season as our big chance to get back into the league, as we all do but I think to get knocked out of the play offs but to win the FA Trophy would be a disaster.
I also think  that the bonus to it is money in JFs coffers for next season rather than lifting silverware.
My other downside though is when we first went down the FA Trophy was one of the early realisations that we were non league and I guess that still stands with me. It completely and utterly smacks of non league.
On saying that though I think it is a great thing for everyone involved and a dream opportunity to play at Wembley. I still hope we go on and win it but not at the expense of promotion. Pleased for the management, players, Mr fenty and the fans who have been struck by cup fever  just not at this time particularly gripped myself.
The question is am I the only one or is this a common feeling.

some good points with which i agree,but the lads deserve to see a decent following when they come out the tunnel(asuming we get there) also people need to realise you don't get to wembley every year so we may never get there again in our lifetimes so bear that in mind when thinking of going or not,im thinking of going for my lad who wa s too young to go to the other games,hell some teams fans have never been to wembley and maybe never will,be grateful for what fate has laid at our door..................a trip to the home of world football for our home town club.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 2 - 70
AlanPoutonsTackle
February 17, 2013, 4:09pm
Lager Top Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.08
Rep Score: +14 / -3
Approval: +57
Don't get me wrong I'll be there and take my lad and it will be a great day out. Its just not gripping hold of me. I want it to but all I think about during waking hours is league games and promotion and when we win Trophy games I wish it was 3 league points instead.

"With a minute to go Buckley said keep it in the corner, I thought he meant the top corner." - Jim Dobbin
Private Message
Reply: 3 - 70
aldi_01
February 17, 2013, 4:19pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.02
Rep Score: +54 / -20
Approval: +5,679
Gold Stars: 473
I think it'll be one of them games that we will all go and enjoy but know deep down that promotion is the most important thing.

Come game day though we will all want to win.

'the poor and the needy are selfish and greedy'...well done Mozza
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 4 - 70
Gary Haddock
February 17, 2013, 4:19pm

Neither above nor beneath
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.51
Rep Score: +44 / -5
Approval: +6
Trophy not something that excites you? Might seem that I'm being funny here but at the league games this season walking out of Blundell park after a win that keeps us top of the league and looking around at other fans, I'd say looking at a lot of them that the league hasn't excited them yet alone a possible trip to Wembley. So doubt you're alone with not being excited by the trophy. Some right miserable gets around. Don't get me wrong I know we have had a fair few bad years but this season is a great season. Nothing glamorous but come on we ain't in championship or premier league.

I'm enjoying every bit of a good season like this one, never know when we'll have another season fighting for promotion or cup or even trophy, yet alone a double. Leave the glamour to the money clubs, we'll take what we can get. UTM.

[IMG]http://i43.tinypic.com/zya4af.jpg[/IMG]

GTFC's black and white army.
https://www.facebook.com/pages/GTFCs-black-and-white-army/494332320600710?ref=hl
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 5 - 70
February 17, 2013, 4:30pm
Guest User
I for one am excited. My first season was the season before Wembley 08 and I have not had a lot to cheer about except from Wembley in 08. We might not have another trip to Wembley in 30+ years so lets make the most of it. The money from it should keep us a float for next season if we are not to go up. Just look down the road at Lincoln and think what they would do for a trip to Wembley in the mess they are. Make the most of it as it will come and go before you know it, UTM!
Reply: 6 - 70
jimgtfc
February 17, 2013, 4:40pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.64
Rep Score: +22 / -5
Approval: +5,124
Gold Stars: 46
Why do we support football teams? For days like this! Just enjoy it for what it is folks.

"Falls to Arnold... Arnold! That's it! Thats it! He's sealed it! Grimsby Town are back in the football league!!! Just a minute to go and Nathan Arnold makes it 3-1! Look at the scenes behind the goal! Look at the relief! The agony is finally over!!!"

John Tondeur - Wembley Stadium Sunday 15th May 2016
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 7 - 70
80sglory
February 17, 2013, 4:40pm
Guest User
Quoted from AlanPoutonsTackle
I still hope we go on and win it but not at the expense of promotion.

Agree but there's only a maximum of 2 more games now.

If we're talking about "priorities", I MIGHT be tempted to shuffle the pack with a 3-0 lead in the 2nd leg.

But really, tend to think we should treat them all pretty much the same - they're all big games !

tbh I'm a lot more concerned about our packed league schedule and bringing in everyone we might need to deal with it to get promotion.
Reply: 8 - 70
acko338
February 17, 2013, 5:04pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.83
Rep Score: +44 / -6
Approval: +3,212
Gold Stars: 33
The final, and potential trophy win, is the icing on the cake - to make the cake itself, we need to add the essential ingredients of more three points in generous portions from every future game possible this season.

We can save the icing to put on top of the cake when the baking - automatic promotion -  is attained, not before !

I am greedy - I like icing on my cake, so I want to celebrate twice this season, please !

But, if there is a decision to be made for only one of them, surely the return back to the land of league football is far more precious to the club in the long term, than a quick day at Wembley, followed by heartbreak??
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 9 - 70
8 Pages 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › FA Trophy confession

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.