6 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 All Recommend Thread
oldun
November 11, 2012, 2:24pm

Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.90
Rep Score: +57 / -5
Approval: +3,475
Quoted from gobby
Cook was my MOM. Hatton did well but not the best defender. Cook chased and chased today and deserved his goal and the through ball for Disley was excellent, the injury to Colbeck (as much as I like him) was a blessing in disguise as it freed up Thanoj to do what he does best and left the dirty work to Niven and Disley.  Good win but Woking are not the worst team we have had here. As I sit in the pontoon maybe someone further up the field could tell me why the foul on Hannah was not classed as DOGSO?
UTMM

Not the last man
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 50 - 57
Abdul19
November 11, 2012, 2:40pm

Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 3.40
Rep Score: +71 / -26
Approval: +17,629
Gold Stars: 220
Last man's not the rule, it's clear goalscoring opportunity.

JESUS AT THE CENTRE
Private Message
Reply: 51 - 57
Maringer
November 11, 2012, 3:40pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.87
Rep Score: +60 / -12
Approval: +16,703
Gold Stars: 189
There is no way the second defender would have got close to stopping Hannah from having a shot so I think their man was lucky not to receive a straight red. Great control of the lofted pass from Hannah as well, it must be said.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 52 - 57
jonnyboy82
November 11, 2012, 4:23pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.27
Rep Score: +71 / -36
Approval: +5,688
Gold Stars: 95
Quoted from davmariner
Neilson for me has to walk straight back into the team, although at the expense of Colbeck who has been awful in recent weeks.

this.

GTFC
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 53 - 57
rancido
November 11, 2012, 4:42pm

Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.26
Rep Score: +41 / -10
Approval: +6,667
Gold Stars: 102
I liked the set-up after Coulbeck went off and I think this could be a formation that works really well for us. We don't have to play with two out and out wingers and yesterday demonstrated this. With Niven in the team covering the back four it allows Disley and Thanoj to do the more creative stuff. If we need an attacking option on the left ( assuming we play with a right winger) then Thomas can provide this and one of the mid-fielders can cover for him. I've always felt that playing with two orthodox wingers puts too much pressure on the two mid-fielders and the set-up yesterday countered that weakness.

The Future is Black & White.
"The commonest thing on this planet is not water , as some people believe, but stupidity ". Frank Zappa
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 54 - 57
barralad
November 11, 2012, 6:38pm
Mariners Trust
Posts Per Day: 2.31
Rep Score: +85 / -22
Approval: +9,300
Gold Stars: 127
Quoted from 1600

Are you sure ?!

Doesn't 5-1 tell you SOMETHING ?  

Jesus wept talk about credit where it's due.
It's obvious you're a big Niven fan but didn't see you suggesting Disley, Thanoj and Niven pre-match (no prizes for guessing who did)
They didn't HAVE to bring Niven on either, they could have made a like for like and brought on Pearson or Southwell.
Blimey there's no pleasing some people, have a word with yourself...

My view, which I'm entitled to regardless of whether I contribute to a "line up" thread or not is that the game changed when Niven got on the field. He stopped their midfield's supply line to their forwards which was causing Town all sorts of problems and allowed Disley to push further upfield (as evidenced by his positioning for his goal).
The managers can have all the credit they like but tempered by the fact that they left our midfield bereft of a decent tackler from the start. If he's good enough to come on after 17 minutes.....
It's speculation on both our parts to say we'd have ended up/not ended winning by such a score.
At no point have I said that I'm not happy with a 5-1 win.
I trust you will be lambasting all those who have said that Disley and Niven cannot play together.

The aim of argument or discussion should not be victory but progress.

Joseph Joubert.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 55 - 57
80sglory
November 11, 2012, 7:39pm
Guest User
I most generally agree with you barra.

Ok they might not have got it spot on straight off but no-ones perfect and it was always a tricky one, least from my own perspective.

I just think this 2 or 3 in midfield issue might partly be down the opposition, especially for a team like Woking who are good in their passing and going forward.
For this reason it's gonna be interesting to watch Braintree on Tuesday night on ITV4 before looking to the "line up for braintree" dilemma/thread.

Also bear in mind had they started 3 in central midfield they could well have been lambasted for being "ultra defensive" at home, especially if it didn't work !
Not that that's necessarily a reason not to do it but while we all try our best to think what's gonna happen, no-ones got a crystal ball and no-ones ever gonna get it right 100% of the time (not even 80's although I'm sure I'll mess it up sooner or later )

I wasn't suggesting you weren't happy, just thought a bit of credit for the change and the result wouldn't go amiss.
But actually, think perhaps I was wrong (except about making the right change) and went a bit OTT.
It's not really a case of pats on the back on a messageboard, I actually DO think it's great that fans are questioning and bringing up ANY "areas of improvement" even if we've won 5-1.
So from that perspective maybe I over-reacted a little and I apologise, sorry !  
I do hope no-one would ever hold back in the future but equally we should all be prepared to be challenged if we do. (especially me no-one seems to question owt about my own views and really wish they would)

As for "lambasting all those who have said that Disley and Niven cannot play together" I'd be prepared to do it in principle if I thought there was a case(depending on the fixture etc), but not sure who they actually are ?...
Reply: 56 - 57
Les Brechin
November 11, 2012, 8:06pm

Posts Per Day: 4.16
Rep Score: +114 / -24
Approval: +12,730
Gold Stars: 174
Quoted from pontoonlew
I'm sure somebody with MP can clear this one up for us with some sort of screenshot.

Having watched the highlights on MW, I think the "whether he caught him or not" debate can be cleared up by their players reaction as he just trudged off head bowed without any argument. If he hadn't made contact I'm sure he would have kicked up more of a fuss.

[img]https://news.images.itv.com/image/file/402260/image_update_img.jpg[/img]
OFFICIAL FUNDRAISER FOR THE BRAIN TUMOUR CHARITY
TOTAL AMOUNT RAISED SINCE AUGUST 2008 £16613.24

LATEST DONATION - FROM DONATION FROM THE FISHY FORUM - AUG 2023 AMOUNT RAISED £170.00

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 57 - 57
6 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Just back

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.