Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › A change of formation?
Users Browsing Forum
No Members and 101 Guests

A change of formation?

This thread currently has 1,854 views. Print
3 Pages Prev 1 2 3 All Recommend Thread
EnglandMariner
August 22, 2012, 5:52pm
Coke Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.00
Rep Score: +4 / 0
I think a few of the changes in shape and system noted here could be interesting, but I can't help but think that any modification to the formation will be minimal. Reviewing Saturday, I would be more concerned with the tactics than formation, but that is a whole new debate. So the team I would go with is:

McKeown
Wood, Pearson, Pond, Thomas
Colbeck, Niven, Thanoj, Artus
Soares
Elding

Unless Miller is available again, in which case I feel he would start at centre-half, with Pond moved into the midfield next to Niven and Thanoj on the bench. Noticeably, I have left Disley out. And given the recent news about Hearn, I would have a look at Soares in the hole behind a main front man. I don't think at this point Southwell is ready for a start in such a game, and I have not been enamored with the other combinations we have tried thus far (usually consists of two 'target men').
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 20 - 24
80sglory
August 22, 2012, 11:36pm
Guest User
We may be using him like one but Elding isn't a "target man" ?
Whether we like it or not he's in the side for his effort, leadership and goalscoring potential.
I'm non plussed with him myself (and our tactics of playing the ball in the air to him) but tbf if srikers get no proper service they can't score goals.

If our tactics aren't working that's another matter but there's only one target man in the squad and it's Cook. (IMO)
Reply: 21 - 24
mariner91
August 23, 2012, 12:15am
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.64
Rep Score: +78 / -11
Approval: +19,772
Gold Stars: 262
What about:

McKeown
Hatton Miller    Pearson   Thomas
          Niven   Artus
Colbeck    Thanoj     Soares
             Cook
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 22 - 24
Southwark Mariner
August 23, 2012, 12:46am
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.69
Rep Score: +21 / -6
Approval: +3,571
Gold Stars: 83
               McKeown
Hatton Pearson Pond Thomas
                  Niven
             Thanoj Artus
                 Soares
            Elding Cook

Play really narrow and through the middle but have hatton and Thomas offering some occasional counter attacking width*

*I'm making this stuff up as I go along
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 23 - 24
80sglory
August 23, 2012, 1:25am
Guest User
*Don't worry so are S&H !   (according to some)

But joking aside, you might not be a million miles off Saturday there.
mariner91's looks interesting too - holding midfielders + attacking width !?
Reply: 24 - 24
3 Pages Prev 1 2 3 All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › A change of formation?

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.