Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Classic Threads › Season Over?
Moderators: Moderator
Users Browsing Forum
No Members and 4 Guests

Season Over?

This thread currently has 18,817 views. Print
9 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 Next All Recommend Thread
chaos33
August 15, 2012, 8:27pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.58
Rep Score: +66 / -33
Approval: +17,964
Gold Stars: 360
Tony Ford you say? When we did sign Tony Ford?! I know he's a legend, but he must be about 56 - we can't expect him to run very fast past the left back and then smash the ball into the legs of the first defender like Joe Colbeck does!  

I have to say I agree with BaWB on this one.

"You should do what you love while you can"
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 70 - 81
Abdul19
August 15, 2012, 8:35pm

Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 3.41
Rep Score: +71 / -26
Approval: +17,575
Gold Stars: 218
Quoted from Gary Haddock

it wasn't the bad start that cost us play-off finish lol. good god never heard such dribble wasn't on here much last season so didn't see. but come on. what was we 3 to 6 points of play-offs? 2-3 more wins was needed, those 3 wins at any part of the 16 we lost would of done no certain part of the season, wheather 1 from begining, another from the middle of season and from the end dosen't matter or even if we turned some of the 15 that we drew last season into wins would of done the trick can't actually say or it's because of the bad start, what happens if we started of great finished shite then lol it's because of then end now that would make more sense not being able to keep up the good form ran out of steam like.

JESUS AT THE CENTRE
Private Message
Reply: 71 - 81
Gary Haddock
August 15, 2012, 8:39pm

Neither above nor beneath
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.52
Rep Score: +44 / -5
Approval: +6
Quoted from Abdul19

thanks for correcting me, haven't seen last season's table for a while. But my point still stands.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 72 - 81
chaos33
August 15, 2012, 8:47pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Sort of.

The poor start did cost us, to some extent.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 73 - 81
bradzmilne
August 15, 2012, 8:49pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.69
Rep Score: +40 / -7
Approval: +1,427
Gold Stars: 30
Quoted from chaos33
Tony Ford you say? When we did sign Tony Ford?! I know he's a legend, but he must be about 56 - we can't expect him to run very fast past the left back and then smash the ball into the legs of the first defender like Joe Colbeck does!  

I have to say I agree with BaWB on this one.

Ah bloody hell!  

Sleep well Icey, Matty and Richard. Keep each other company up there xx

4 Relegations in 18 Years - John Fenty’s legacy.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 74 - 81
TownSNAFU5
August 15, 2012, 8:50pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.13
Rep Score: +30 / -21
Approval: +6,892
Gold Stars: 42
12 points I think allowing for inferior goal difference. (Can be corrected on this).  That is a lot of points.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 75 - 81
chaos33
August 15, 2012, 8:51pm
Barley Wine Drinker
What?

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 76 - 81
Gary Haddock
August 15, 2012, 8:55pm

Neither above nor beneath
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.52
Rep Score: +44 / -5
Approval: +6
Quoted from Gary Haddock

it wasn't the bad start that cost us play-off finish lol. good god never heard such dribble wasn't on here much last season so didn't see. but come on. what was we 3 to 6 points of play-offs? 2-3 more wins was needed, those 3 wins at any part of the 16 we lost would of done no certain part of the season, wheather 1 from begining, another from the middle of season and from the end dosen't matter or even if we turned some of the 15 that we drew last season into wins would of done the trick can't actually say or it's because of the bad start, what happens if we started of great finished shite then lol it's because of then end now that would make more sense not being able to keep up the good form ran out of steam like.

I take this back. just looked through last season's results again and must admit it myself as when you look towards the end of last season and seeing the teams we did loose to made me think again. Kidderminster, York, Fleetwood, doesn't look that bad at the end.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 77 - 81
80sglory
August 15, 2012, 9:38pm
Guest User
Quoted from ginnywings
Problem is, it could just turn out like last year and the year before that ad infinitum. It's only 2 games and we need to click. Then suddenly it's 5 games and then 10 and we are too far off the pace again. All teams sign new players every season and not all of them struggle to get going every season.

Perhaps one reason could be we've spent a lot of pre-season defending (very well !) and playing on the counter.
So when it comes to attacking or breaking teams doown we haven't really had a lot of practice in this area ?
It's all well and good Hurst saying he wanted them to push on and score the 2nd (and I'm sure he did), but surely it's gonna be difficult to adapt and switch from defensive mode into attack ? (Note: our goal came from a set piece not open play !)

There was talk of "patience" before the game.
Now obviously fans shouldn't get impatient if we don't score.
But don't understand what the team are waiting for and why we're not on the front foot from the off.
1st half was bit like a game of chess going through the motions and we pushed on much more in the 2nd.
But isn't all you're doing giving yourself less time to make the breakthrough ?....

Strange as it sounds think part of the downfall last night could have been our goal came quite late.
I imagine it's tempting for players to think "Only mins 15 to go !" and try to see the game out. (can't do that if you score in the first 10 !)
Most of the time seeing out the game works and everyone's happy but last night showed the long term issue/problem for what it really is.

Anyway wouldn't at all be suprised if we see more attacking changes, a much improved display and a very healthy victory on Saturday, but we still need to break these teams down and push home the advantage so it's not a gimme.
Players just need to be less conservative, fearful and BELIEVE in their own ability. (and pre-season shows there's enough reasons that they should !)
Reply: 78 - 81
kevikov
August 15, 2012, 10:44pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.24
Rep Score: +14 / -5
Approval: +834
Gold Stars: 13
Quoted from davmariner
Don't think it's over just haven't seen anything to make me think we'll challenge if we're really struggling to overcome teams at home. 4 points dropped already, you cannot afford that if you're looking for promotion in this league. Did you go tonight by the way?

1 point for a draw and 2.5 for a win?  

Season over? No. Disappointing start? Yes.

Kick negativity out. ++++++++++++

I was there, the day Bradley Wood scored a 35 yarder!

From the black and white striped shirts
To the fish in the sea
You'll hear us singing
Coz we are Grimsby.

You won't hear us crying
But you'll hear us shout
Coz we are the Grimsby
And this is our chant.......... Grimsby! Grimsby! Grimsby!

A.S.A.F.A.T.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 79 - 81
9 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Classic Threads › Season Over?

Thread Rating
There is currently no rating for this thread

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.