3 Pages 1 2 3 All Recommend Thread
Paris Mariner
July 30, 2012, 1:02pm
www.theliquidfootballblog.wordpress.com
Main Stander
Posts Per Day: 0.53
Rep Score: +20 / -4
Approval: +809
I was talking to my brother last night and he aid the matchday programme name has been changed from the Mariner to 'GTFC Magazine'. It has also allegedly been returned to the normal size. I have to say I think 'GTFC Magazine is an awful name and that The Mariner is much better and a name I've come to associate with the matchday experience at BP.

Can anyone else confirm this? Anyone else think it's crap?

bilbaogroundguide.wordpress.com
ingoldale.tumblr.com Football and gig ticket blog
Logged Offline
Private Message Skype
July 30, 2012, 1:03pm
Guest User
Yes this is very true,and i have to agree totally with you !
Reply: 1 - 22
aaron rattray
July 30, 2012, 1:09pm
allright viewers?
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.23
Rep Score: +71 / -90
Approval: -4
Email the editor about it

i am a season ticket holder and i always will be one  

"aaron is the next michael barrymore, hes a comedinan"

it is official, i am a comedian

]
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 2 - 22
tintowner
July 30, 2012, 5:22pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.78
Rep Score: +13 / -4
Approval: +603
Gold Stars: 20
Last years effort was, imo, terrible...mainly because you needed a magnifying glass to read it.

This seasons, although we have only had a small teaser, is back to a more readable text size. i agree about the title though....much prefer  'The Mariner' . the GTFC magazine could at first glance be mistaken for..Gainsborough Trinity FC, Goole Town FC, Garforth Town FC etc etc.

Batch, K.Moore, Waters, Wiggington, Crombie, Brolly, Ford, Drinkell, Mitchell, Cumming, Kilmore. D.Moore, Stone, Liddell. ....1979/80..... now that WAS a team.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 3 - 22
Southwark Mariner
July 30, 2012, 5:25pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.69
Rep Score: +21 / -6
Approval: +3,572
Gold Stars: 84
I'd love to know why they changed the name
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 4 - 22
CatchOfTheDay
July 30, 2012, 5:28pm

Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.12
Rep Score: +23 / -2
Approval: +77
Gold Stars: 1
Quoted from tintowner
Last years effort was, imo, terrible...mainly because you needed a magnifying glass to read it.

This seasons, although we have only had a small teaser, is back to a more readable text size. i agree about the title though....much prefer  'The Mariner' . the GTFC magazine could at first glance be mistaken for..Gainsborough Trinity FC, Goole Town FC, Garforth Town FC etc etc.

Goole AFC  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 5 - 22
upthestripes
July 30, 2012, 5:33pm

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.38
Rep Score: +68 / -8
Approval: +7
Quoted from CatchOfTheDay

Goole AFC  

You all need to be careful when this little encyclopedia is about! lol

[img]http://i206.photobucket.com/albums/bb71/levite_photo/town/2959063.jpg[/img]

Hitman Hearn - BP Gangsta
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 6 - 22
tintowner
July 30, 2012, 5:37pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.78
Rep Score: +13 / -4
Approval: +603
Gold Stars: 20

Goole AFC  

Sorry..................... you are correct........ Goole Town no longer exist....only in memory.

Batch, K.Moore, Waters, Wiggington, Crombie, Brolly, Ford, Drinkell, Mitchell, Cumming, Kilmore. D.Moore, Stone, Liddell. ....1979/80..... now that WAS a team.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 7 - 22
malkamalka
July 30, 2012, 5:40pm
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.15
Rep Score: +2 / 0
Approval: +150
Gold Stars: 17
Presumably they do these things following intensive customer and marketing research. If "The Mariner" is no longer viable as the title of the matchday programme, it follows that the club's nickname is also probably under threat. Why else change something that is so synonomous with the club and town?

"Knowledge speaks, but wisdom listens." (Jimi Hendrix)
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 8 - 22
CatchOfTheDay
July 30, 2012, 5:54pm

Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.12
Rep Score: +23 / -2
Approval: +77
Quoted from upthestripes

You all need to be careful when this little encyclopedia is about! lol

I prefer the term statto
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 9 - 22
Abdul19
July 30, 2012, 8:09pm

Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 3.40
Rep Score: +71 / -26
Approval: +17,629
Gold Stars: 220
It's the name of the programme, a programme which is bought py people at Grimsby Town matches.

I can't really see how it matters, or how it could be confused with anyone else.

JESUS AT THE CENTRE
Private Message
Reply: 10 - 22
WOZOFGRIMSBY
July 30, 2012, 8:33pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.74
Rep Score: +66 / -22
Approval: +9,084
Gold Stars: 195

I prefer the term statto

Rose is on fire

And your scotch eggs are fu(king vile
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 11 - 22
gary_elton
July 30, 2012, 10:32pm

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.19
Rep Score: +23 / -6
Approval: +1,243
Gold Stars: 6
Quoted from tintowner

Sorry..................... you are correct........ Goole Town no longer exist....only in memory.

Bit like Scunny then...  

All my pictures , Seem to fade to black and white.... (Reg Dwight)
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 12 - 22
GYinScuntland
July 30, 2012, 11:13pm

Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.49
Approval: +3,253
Gold Stars: 98
Quoted from Abdul19
It's the name of the programme, a programme which is bought py people at Grimsby Town matches.

I can't really see how it matters, or how it could be confused with anyone else.

It flipping matters to me. 40 years of Town but always a Mariner. Kicked, thumped, hospitalised on more than 20 times, 5 with stab wounds, any of you gobby girl privates on this website who think you either care or know about what it is to be Town should do what me and a lot of the lads used to in the old days. You really wouldn't last 5mins in a 38 hour thumb across country to places like Exeter et al, so sorry, the programme is THE MARINER as is the club.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 13 - 22
biggles9999
July 30, 2012, 11:17pm
Main Stander
Posts Per Day: 0.51
Rep Score: +24 / -12
Approval: +367
Quoted from GYinScuntland

It flipping matters to me. 40 years of Town but always a Mariner. Kicked, thumped, hospitalised on more than 20 times, 5 with stab wounds, any of you gobby girl privates on this website who think you either care or know about what it is to be Town should do what me and a lot of the lads used to in the old days. You really wouldn't last 5mins in a 38 hour thumb across country to places like Exeter et al, so sorry, the programme is THE MARINER as is the club.

Im not quite sure what you being a former hoolie has to do with the club changing the name of the match day programme but thanks for that insight into your history.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 14 - 22
mariner91
July 30, 2012, 11:25pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.64
Rep Score: +78 / -11
Approval: +19,837
Gold Stars: 264

Not sure getting stabbed would make me any more of a fan.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 15 - 22
GYinScuntland
July 30, 2012, 11:28pm

Brandy Drinker
Quoted from biggles9999

Im not quite sure what you being a former hoolie has to do with the club changing the name of the match day programme but thanks for that insight into your history.

Blimey mate, if you read the post I think the term former victim might be more apt. Good job I aint bothered about this new fangled litigation palaver LMFAO  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 16 - 22
Marinerz93
July 30, 2012, 11:53pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.55
Rep Score: +89 / -11
Approval: +6,292
Quoted from mariner91

Not sure getting stabbed would make me any more of a fan.

Supporting the Mighty Mariners for over 30 years, home town club is were the heart and soul is and it's great to be a part of it.

Jesus’ disciple Peter, picked up a fish to get the tribute money from it, Jesus left his thumb print on the fish, bless'ed is the Haddock.
Private Message
Reply: 17 - 22
80sglory
July 31, 2012, 12:16am
Guest User
Quoted from biggles9999

I guess it's to do with identity, loyalty and how fans can equate the club (and it's merchandise) with themselves.

If  fans buy "The Mariner" it's like it's saying to them "The mariner" is you ! OR "This if for you !" - personalized if you like...

Personally it doesn't affect my choice to purchase just so long as the content is good.
But I can understand why some fans might not be happy with a loss of club identity.
Who would want to see themselves as a magazine ?!...  
Reply: 18 - 22
GYinScuntland
July 31, 2012, 12:17am

Brandy Drinker

Might have had a moment there and could have maybe summed it up better.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 19 - 22
biggles9999
July 31, 2012, 12:24am
Main Stander
Posts Per Day: 0.51
Rep Score: +24 / -12
Approval: +367
Quoted from 1600

I guess it's to do with identity, loyalty and how fans can equate the club (and it's merchandise) with themselves.

If  fans buy "The Mariner" it's like it's saying to them "The mariner" is you ! OR "This if for you !" - personalized if you like...

Personally it doesn't affect my choice to purchase just so long as the content is good.
But I can understand why some fans might not be happy with a loss of club identity.
Who would want to see themselves as a magazine ?!...  

Youve written a lot of rubbish (some good) at times on this site reading far too much into things but this surely takes the biscuit. I doubt many people identify the word mariner with being stabbed or having 7 bells knocked out of them view it with pride......of course im sure youll come back with a rambling explanation that will appear to be intelligent but actually come across as patronising crap.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 20 - 22
80sglory
July 31, 2012, 4:08am
Guest User
You're looking for unnecessary dots and so prejudiced you make a point of saying "appear to be intelligent but actually come across as patronising crap." before you've even heard the answer !

For the record I wasn't even thinking of the previous poster and couldn't give a toss !
Simply took it that Biggles couldn't understand why people were objecting.
And on the face of it, neither do I !
Do you ?! Please tell me if you do....
But you'll notice the OP is objecting too so it's not just the one person you're keen to fixate upon.

So I wanted to put forward a theory - "The Mariner" might be more liked because it refers to the actual fan buying the programme.
Could be true, could be crap ! But so sorry for raising a mere theory I'm sure...  
What's the big deal anyway ? Hardly a major issue is it ?
Should I not bother giving my time filling out the club questionnaire or giving any feedback about the match programme in case they react like you ?  

You can't control eveything just because you don't agree with the point you THINK is being made (when it's not !) but I guess you're just paranoid.
I suggest you stop being so defensive and be more accepting of different opinions without jumping to bizarre and unnecessary conclusions. (though the debates going right down on here so I probably won't bother posting anymore..  )

Just think it's a real shame you end up losing your rag over a harmless enough thought by getting the wrong end of the stick. (see rule#2 !).
Reply: 21 - 22
AlfredTheGreat
July 31, 2012, 6:51am

Shandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.02
Rep Score: +1 / 0
Approval: -156
As Shakespeare said: A rose by any name would smell as sweet
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 22 - 22
3 Pages 1 2 3 All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Disappointed

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.