Southwark Mariner
July 16, 2012, 7:03pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.69
Rep Score: +21 / -6
Approval: +3,583
Gold Stars: 84
Quoted from Liam94

I watched The Road which is about a father and son in a post apocolyptic world, very grim tbh.

Threads makes The Road look like a Disney film where Bambi's mum lives a long and happy life
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 20 - 51
moosey_club
July 16, 2012, 8:41pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.70
Rep Score: +69 / -22
Approval: +20,335
Gold Stars: 230
Quoted from TownSNAFU5
I watched Good Will Hunting again tonight.   Matt Damon, Ben Affleck and Rob in Williams.  A Brit actress played the female lead.  Always thought it was an excellent film,made in 1997, which benefits from watching for the second or third time. (Mat Damon and Ben Affleck co-wrote it).

Most people must have seen it or know of it.  If not, it is about 4 working-class lads in Boston Mass who knock about together.  Matt Damon gets in a lot of trouble and has a very bad background.  He meets a (Brit) Harvard medical student.  As part of his probation he also has to spend a lot of time with  Robin Williams for counselling. The changing relationship with Robin Williams is a very poignant part of the film.

Matt also works as a cleaner at the MIT.  He is also a (very reluctant) world maths genius.  But that is another story.

In summary, a film that I would highly recommend.

Own up....who else on reading this initial post said Matt Damon in a Team America style !!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BUa5oHgYV2k&feature=related

2023/24 DLWDDWDLLLWDLLLLWDDDWDLLWLDLLDWDDWLLDWLWLWL but not NLN 😁
2022/23LDWDWWDWLLDWWDLLLDLWLLWLWLLWDDLDWWDDDLLWDWLWLW
2021/22 WDWWWWDLWWWWLLLWLLDLWLLWWDWWWLWDLWWDWWWDLWD play offs WWW Promoted 🥳
2020/21  LLDWWLDLDWLWLLLDLWLLDLLDLLLWLLLDDDDWDDDLWLWLWL .. hello darkness my old friend
2019/20  WDLDWWLDLWWLLLDLDLDLDDWWDLLWDDWWL WLLW - ended
2018/19  LWDDLLLLLLWWDWLLLWDWLWWWWLLLLWWWWDLLLDDLLDLWLW Hello Scunny  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 21 - 51
mariner91
July 16, 2012, 9:18pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.64
Rep Score: +78 / -11
Approval: +19,919
Gold Stars: 264
Don't think I could be any more excited about the new Batman film, looks amazing.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 22 - 51
Marinerz93
July 17, 2012, 11:26pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.55
Rep Score: +89 / -11
Approval: +6,292
Gold Stars: 1
Quoted from Harry Haddock

Another one you may wanna try is Resurrecting the Champ (Samuel L Jackson & Josh Hartnell), not as much boxing in it from what I recall but still worth the watch.

For me I prefer war films such as Enermy at the Gates, Saving Ryans Privates, Memphis Belle (filmed at Binbrook), Defiance, Platoon etc

Others include, Shawshank Redemption, I am Legend, Sin City, 8 Mile

I like some of the old films because they used proper gyms and quite often the extra's would be the lads who used the gym.  I tend to think the older boxing films are more grittier where modern boxing films have to follow some sort of Hollywood plot.  I guess in a way I like the older boxing films because they are less fake than the hyped up newer films some of which are terrible.  At least Sly spent time in hospital (broken ribs I think) and spent several months doing weights and boxing every day.

Enemy at the gates is a brilliant film but the sex scene ruins it.  Didn't like Saving Private Ryan and my cousin was an extra in Memphis Belle.  Defiance was a decent film and Platoon is a great war film.  Stalag 17 is a good old war film.

Stalag 17
[youtube]0aQJCYtO9po[/youtube]

Supporting the Mighty Mariners for over 30 years, home town club is were the heart and soul is and it's great to be a part of it.

Jesus’ disciple Peter, picked up a fish to get the tribute money from it, Jesus left his thumb print on the fish, bless'ed is the Haddock.
Private Message
Reply: 23 - 51
Rick12
July 18, 2012, 9:48am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.14
Rep Score: +42 / -3
Approval: +255
Gold Stars: 45
Quoted from Harry Haddock

Others include, Shawshank Redemption, I am Legend, Sin City, 8 Mile

Quoted from upthestripes
The Green Mile is a classic.
great films

One life,one love .
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 24 - 51
Rick12
July 18, 2012, 9:49am
Vodka Drinker
Quoted from Marinerz93

I like some of the old films because they used proper gyms and quite often the extra's would be the lads who used the gym.  I tend to think the older boxing films are more grittier where modern boxing films have to follow some sort of Hollywood plot.  I guess in a way I like the older boxing films because they are less fake than the hyped up newer films some of which are terrible.  At least Sly spent time in hospital (broken ribs I think) and spent several months doing weights and boxing every day.
of interest what is your favourite boxing film

One life,one love .
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 25 - 51
Biccys
July 18, 2012, 10:19am
Posts Per Day: 2.03
Rep Score: +55 / -22
Approval: +1,226
Gold Stars: 27
Midnight Sting is cool. Little known James Woods con trick cum boxing film. Really good twists.

@biccysthefishy

£110,105

[url]https://www.easyfundraising.org.uk/causes/mariners-trust/[/url]
Logged Offline
Private Message Skype
Reply: 26 - 51
Rick12
July 18, 2012, 10:22am
Vodka Drinker
Quoted from Biccys
Midnight Sting is cool. Little known James Woods con trick cum boxing film. Really good twists.
thanks

One life,one love .
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 27 - 51
Marinerz93
July 18, 2012, 8:05pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.55
Rep Score: +89 / -11
Approval: +6,292
Gold Stars: 1
Quoted from Rick12
of interest what is your favourite boxing film

I do like Requiem for a Heavyweight and I basically wrote out the plot saying why I liked it so much.  I had to delete what I wrote and all I can say is just watch it.  The acting really draws you in and again I've had to stop writing what I was going to say  

Mickey Rooney, Anthony Quinn and some other quality acting, spot on cast.  You also have Muhammad Ali and Jack Dempsey playing themselves and fighting Quinn.

You get a sense that you have seen some scenes before and you may find yourself saying Adrian, Sly must have loved this film.  It's old and gritty and I'm getting carried away again  

Supporting the Mighty Mariners for over 30 years, home town club is were the heart and soul is and it's great to be a part of it.

Jesus’ disciple Peter, picked up a fish to get the tribute money from it, Jesus left his thumb print on the fish, bless'ed is the Haddock.
Private Message
Reply: 28 - 51
Rick12
July 18, 2012, 8:08pm
Vodka Drinker
Quoted from Marinerz93

I do like Requiem for a Heavyweight and I basically wrote out the plot saying why I liked it so much.  I had to delete what I wrote and all I can say is just watch it.  The acting really draws you in and again I've had to stop writing what I was going to say  

Mickey Rooney, Anthony Quinn and some other quality acting, spot on cast.  You also have Muhammad Ali and Jack Dempsey playing themselves and fighting Quinn.

You get a sense that you have seen some scenes before and you may find yourself saying Adrian, Sly must have loved this film.  It's old and gritty and I'm getting carried away again  
going to check it out  thanks  

One life,one love .
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 29 - 51
6 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Good Films

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.