cup tied

This thread currently has 708 views. Print
1 Pages 1 Recommend Thread
mr viv
February 23, 2012, 4:07pm
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.14
Rep Score: +6 / -2
With all our new boys cup tied it just got me thinking. Do people not think this rule is so dated.What made me think of this is that all 3 players have played 1 game in this compertition and lost in that game (i think).If you just play in 1 game and get knocked out you should be free to play in the cup if you move during the season,not a massive change of the rule, just imo a sensible one. If truth be told its not really a rule i have ever agreed with or seen the sense in anyway!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Les Brechin
February 23, 2012, 4:13pm

Posts Per Day: 4.16
Rep Score: +114 / -24
Approval: +12,730
Gold Stars: 174
Quoted from mr viv
With all our new boys cup tied it just got me thinking. Do people not think this rule is so dated.What made me think of this is that all 3 players have played 1 game in this compertition and lost in that game (i think).If you just play in 1 game and get knocked out you should be free to play in the cup if you move during the season,not a massive change of the rule, just imo a sensible one. If truth be told its not really a rule i have ever agreed with or seen the sense in anyway!

It is a bit of a daft rule really Chas, I've always thought that.

[img]https://news.images.itv.com/image/file/402260/image_update_img.jpg[/img]
OFFICIAL FUNDRAISER FOR THE BRAIN TUMOUR CHARITY
TOTAL AMOUNT RAISED SINCE AUGUST 2008 £16613.24

LATEST DONATION - FROM DONATION FROM THE FISHY FORUM - AUG 2023 AMOUNT RAISED £170.00

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 1 - 8
mr viv
February 23, 2012, 4:22pm
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.14
Rep Score: +6 / -2
It is les you can play in 25+ league games of a season for one club and say for example score 20 goals therfore having a massive effect on that teams season and fixtures they play in. So if you then move to another team in that same league you can play in 20+ league games for them score loads of goals and have a massive effect on that teams fixtures. My point being you can effect the league standing with your performances without any rectrictions whatsoever yet you can play 1 cup game and thats your cracker!!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 2 - 8
Les Brechin
February 23, 2012, 4:38pm

Posts Per Day: 4.16
Rep Score: +114 / -24
Approval: +12,730
Gold Stars: 174
Or the other way round, we could have signed a player from a team in the lower reaches of the non-league a week into the season but as he played in the Extra, Extra Preliminary Round (yes there is one) of the FA Cup for his old team he can't then play for us in the FA Cup.

[img]https://news.images.itv.com/image/file/402260/image_update_img.jpg[/img]
OFFICIAL FUNDRAISER FOR THE BRAIN TUMOUR CHARITY
TOTAL AMOUNT RAISED SINCE AUGUST 2008 £16613.24

LATEST DONATION - FROM DONATION FROM THE FISHY FORUM - AUG 2023 AMOUNT RAISED £170.00

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 3 - 8
jimgtfc
February 23, 2012, 5:39pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.64
Rep Score: +22 / -5
Approval: +5,125
Gold Stars: 46
Yeah daft rule, you should maybe only cup tied if the team you appeared for earlier is still in the competition, or just scrap the rule!

"Falls to Arnold... Arnold! That's it! Thats it! He's sealed it! Grimsby Town are back in the football league!!! Just a minute to go and Nathan Arnold makes it 3-1! Look at the scenes behind the goal! Look at the relief! The agony is finally over!!!"

John Tondeur - Wembley Stadium Sunday 15th May 2016
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 4 - 8
Dan
February 23, 2012, 5:46pm

Exile
Posts Per Day: 0.36
Rep Score: +36 / -17
Approval: +551
Really, it should be you can't play against a club you've already played against that season. I guess it's because in a knockout competition, it doesn't make sense to be able to influence two teams progress.

Quoted from John Fenty, April 2013
I deconstructed the flag to the point where it was safe and couldn’t be considered a danger
Private Message
Reply: 5 - 8
Brazilnut
February 23, 2012, 5:58pm

Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.26
Rep Score: +17 / -8
Approval: +979
Gold Stars: 30
agree with a lot you said  ...but if the 1 game rule applies what is to stop any team signing a load of stars from Man City for next round of cup....is that fair ??????

<*(((><

Town have given me some of my highest highs and my lowest lows ........ God it is like a marriage
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 6 - 8
aldi_01
February 23, 2012, 6:00pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.02
Rep Score: +54 / -20
Approval: +5,679
Gold Stars: 473
Just scrap it all together, the team they have come from or are on loan from obviously didn't want them, need them, or just needed to get rid of them...their loss is another clubs gain, why penalise the player and the club.

May be if the FA din't interfere with other peoples jobs, charge players for ridiculous offences etc and actually took an interest in the rules of their competitions and revisited them once in a while and showed interest in the way clubs are run we wouldn't be penalised by out dated rules and clubs would think twice about over spending etc and then bleating about to anyone who will listen...

'the poor and the needy are selfish and greedy'...well done Mozza
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 7 - 8
Abdul19
February 23, 2012, 7:22pm

Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 3.40
Rep Score: +71 / -26
Approval: +17,638
Gold Stars: 220
I don't really understand the point of the rule, but I'm not sure why it's outdated? Surely the reasons for it being implemented are still valid?

JESUS AT THE CENTRE
Private Message
Reply: 8 - 8
1 Pages 1 Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › cup tied

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.