This thread currently has 1,690 views. Print
2 Pages 1 2 All Recommend Thread
newfootballer
February 21, 2012, 2:32pm

Snakebite drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.10
Rep Score: +19 / -5
Approval: +378
    We have the chance of booking Nobby Stiles and his son John who use to play for Leeds United, for the Arty White Foundation annuel after dinner talk in September.
Nobby is really very interesting and what we have is John who is also a comedian as well as his stories about Leeds interviews Nobby which is very revealing indeed.
I would like your views to see if there would be enough interest, because we always have had over the years a good turn out at these events.
NEWFOOTBALLER
Logged Offline
Private Message
SkegFan
February 21, 2012, 2:53pm
Beer Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.03
Rep Score: +5 / 0
I saw Nobby Stiles at a gentlemans weekend in Skegness a couple of years or so back. I was really looking forward to seeing him and listening to him. Sadly on the night he was rubbish. He was all over the place with his after dinner speech, forgetting his lines etc. It really was a very sad thing to see from such a legend.

Don't get me wrong he is a lovely bloke to speak to at the bar, but his act/turn was really dire.

If you want an honest opinion I would say get somebody else. There are lots of good ones on the circuit.

Cheers
Skeg
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 1 - 13
MuddyWaters
February 21, 2012, 6:47pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.59
Rep Score: +48 / -24
Approval: +32,291
Gold Stars: 236
Plenty of more current ex-players who are better at this. Parlour, Merson, McInally to name but three.
Private Message
Reply: 2 - 13
OptimisticMariner
February 21, 2012, 7:55pm
Coke Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.01
Rep Score: +3 / -1
Trouble with players from that era is that only the older people know him, or his fellow players.

As a youngster, most of his stories would go over my head.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 3 - 13
Rodley Mariner
February 21, 2012, 8:00pm
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.36
Rep Score: +63 / -17
Approval: +13,280
Gold Stars: 185
Quoted from MuddyWaters
Plenty of more current ex-players who are better at this. Parlour, Merson, McInally to name but three.

Merson - he can barely string a sentence together. He referred to the Norwich striker as Cinnamon Jackson the other day. Plus you've got to then worry about him getting home safely afterwards.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 4 - 13
nico
February 21, 2012, 8:14pm
Coke Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.00
Rep Score: +1 / 0
Saw them both at a function at old Trafford about 4 years ago and similar experience to skegfan but was just in awe of seeing a world cup winner
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 5 - 13
marinerian
February 21, 2012, 9:11pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.69
Rep Score: +33 / -16
Approval: +15
Quoted from nico
Saw them both at a function at old Trafford about 4 years ago and similar experience to skegfan but was just in awe of seeing a world cup winner

That is all good but when people pay good money they expect to have a quality night.

It would be just better to hire him for picture opportunity with him and his WC Winners medal.

Get Frank Skinner or someone   Least he would make people laugh and his stories from Fanatasy Football, I am sure.

UP THE MARINERS
Private Message
Reply: 6 - 13
psgmariner
February 21, 2012, 9:16pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.68
Rep Score: +39 / -15
Approval: +5,480
Gold Stars: 33
Quoted from Rodley Mariner

Merson - he can barely string a sentence together. He referred to the Norwich striker as Cinnamon Jackson the other day. Plus you've got to then worry about him getting home safely afterwards.

Merson was good when I saw him. To make him feel at home I got horrendously drunk so can't remember much though.

Everyone laughed a lot but he sounded very rehearsed. His books are good as well.

Private Message
Reply: 7 - 13
sonik
February 22, 2012, 12:30am

Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.28
Rep Score: +23 / -9
Approval: +28
Gold Stars: 1
Steve Claridge at the Park Friday nights should be good.  I hope he pulls his socks up though!

UTM!

The Futures Bright Its Black And White!
Private Message
Reply: 8 - 13
laitey
February 22, 2012, 8:49am

Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 0.20
Rep Score: +12 / -7
i can say his sons very good at what he does, dont know about Nobby

People who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 9 - 13
pier39
February 22, 2012, 12:13pm
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.14
Rep Score: +0 / -3
Approval: +1
Quoted from sonik
Steve Claridge at the Park Friday nights should be good.  I hope he pulls his socks up though!

UTM!

he hates us that cuunt as for nobby like others have said hes very poor imo and boring bit like dickie bird
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 10 - 13
WOZOFGRIMSBY
February 23, 2012, 5:16pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.74
Rep Score: +66 / -22
Approval: +9,097
Gold Stars: 196
would love to see someone like the ruddock/mcateer after dinner.

one of my mates went to an after dinner do (same sort of thing) and said they were superb.
think it was the case that players also turned up and one was sat on each table, though not too sure

Rose is on fire

And your scotch eggs are fu(king vile
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 11 - 13
Bullitt
February 23, 2012, 5:25pm
Guest User
Quoted from sonik

UTM!

Best hope he doesn't get stopped on the motorway again, might end up pissing himself.
Reply: 12 - 13
SkegFan
February 23, 2012, 9:03pm
Beer Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.03
Rep Score: +5 / 0
I have seen loads of ex pro footballers over the years. By far the funniest I have seen is Steve Kindon. Check him out on YouTube
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 13 - 13
2 Pages 1 2 All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › POSSIBILITY NOBBY STILES @ SON JOHN BOOKED

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.