4 Pages 1 2 3 4 All Recommend Thread
Grimsby2012
February 14, 2012, 1:36pm

Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.20
Rep Score: +12 / -8
Approval: -1,464
Gold Stars: 22
I Remember my Granddad telling me when i was a little mariner supporter all about the great man Shankly and what he was like. Is it me or does Rob Scott remind you of shankly as in the way he does things, like training and how organised he is and the team. Obviously Shankly was a legend but is Rob Scott a Legend in the making?

I blocked seeing red ticks years ago so go ahead   If I don't reply to you then i didn't read your replies  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Rodley Mariner
February 14, 2012, 1:41pm
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.36
Rep Score: +63 / -17
Approval: +13,279
Gold Stars: 185
You should probably wait until his resume is a bit more than Ilkeston, Boston, Grimsby before you start to suggest a comparison with someone who won numerous domestic and European trophies. I must also have missed hearing the stories about Shankly screaming loud expletives at fans, players and officials.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 1 - 30
Ipswin
February 14, 2012, 1:48pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.10
Rep Score: +44 / -47
Approval: -3,552
Gold Stars: 89
What an insult to Shankley to even suggest the possibility, so far Scott hasn't even measured up to Russell Slade FFS

On bended knee is no way to be free - Peter R de Vries

https://www.linkedin.com/pulse.....=public_profile_post
Private Message
Reply: 2 - 30
rancido
February 14, 2012, 2:17pm

Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.26
Rep Score: +41 / -10
Approval: +6,667
Gold Stars: 102
If Scott=Shankley then my education as regards the English language has been completely wrong.

The Future is Black & White.
"The commonest thing on this planet is not water , as some people believe, but stupidity ". Frank Zappa
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 3 - 30
sutton mariner
February 14, 2012, 3:18pm
Exile
Posts Per Day: 0.45
Rep Score: +52 / -6
Approval: +1,135
Gold Stars: 49
Quoted from Ipswin
What an insult to Shankley to even suggest the possibility, so far Scott hasn't even measured up to Russell Slade FFS

He wasn't talking about his achievements, he was on about his character....

I Make Movies #UTM
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 4 - 30
RoboCod
February 14, 2012, 3:30pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.90
Rep Score: +70 / -19
Approval: +7,505
Quoted from Ipswin

Cage rattled: check √

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 5 - 30
arryarryarry
February 14, 2012, 4:48pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.71
Rep Score: +26 / -28
Approval: +10,039
Gold Stars: 117
I wonder how many times Shankly swore at the officials, got sent to the stands from the dug out, got banned from the touchline and got into an embarrassing confrontation with a fan basically telling him to fwckoff, in his first season at Town?
Private Message
Reply: 6 - 30
STB
February 14, 2012, 4:51pm

Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.70
Rep Score: +66 / -22
Hahahahaha possibly the funniest thread ever.

Former lover of all things GTFC . . .
Private Message
Reply: 7 - 30
Trawler
February 14, 2012, 5:11pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.22
Rep Score: +33 / -4
Approval: +915
Gold Stars: 6
Quoted from arryarryarry
I wonder how many times Shankly swore at the officials, got sent to the stands from the dug out, got banned from the touchline and got into an embarrassing confrontation with a fan basically telling him to fwckoff, in his first season at Town?

Possibly not Shankly-esque - but the stuff of legend nonetheless, albeit a very different kind of legend, and currently one in its infancy.  Looking at the Scott & Hurst story so far it has had a good beginning.

"Pound for pound, and class for class, the best football team I have seen in England since the war. In the league they were in they played football nobody else could play. Everything was measured, planned and perfected and you could not wish to see more entertaining football." Bill Shankly, Manager GTFC 1951-54
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 8 - 30
Fishbone
February 14, 2012, 6:03pm
Lager Top Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.04
Rep Score: +3 / 0
Approval: +172
Gold Stars: 1
I hope no-one is seriously making a comparison...Shankly never got us promoted  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 9 - 30
Abdul19
February 14, 2012, 7:01pm

Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 3.40
Rep Score: +71 / -26
Approval: +17,629
Gold Stars: 220
Is Rob Duffy the new Pat Glover?

JESUS AT THE CENTRE
Private Message
Reply: 10 - 30
STB
February 14, 2012, 7:17pm

Whiskey Drinker
Blundell Park=San Siro

Private Message
Reply: 11 - 30
bladerunnner
February 14, 2012, 7:27pm

Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.31
Rep Score: +22 / -10
Quoted from Ipswin

i agree, you wouldn't hear the smiths start a record using the lyrics "frankly mr scott" would you?........(from the record "frankly mr shankly").by the smiths,for our younger viewers this was a band that made it fashionable to stick a bunch of gladioli in your bottom and be miserable illegitimates in the 1980s

irony................its a bit like brassy,only made from iron!   (baldrick,blackadder)
Private Message
Reply: 12 - 30
STB
February 14, 2012, 7:31pm

Whiskey Drinker
Quoted from bladerunnner

i agree, you wouldn't hear the smiths start a record using the lyrics "frankly mr scott" would you?........(from the record "frankly mr shankly").by the smiths,for our younger viewers this was a band that made it fashionable to stick a bunch of gladioli in your bottom and be miserable illegitimates in the 1980s

The lyrics are about Geoff Travis (the head of rough trade records).

Private Message
Reply: 13 - 30
Grimsby2012
February 14, 2012, 7:42pm

Fine Wine Drinker
Quoted from sutton mariner

This

I blocked seeing red ticks years ago so go ahead   If I don't reply to you then i didn't read your replies  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 14 - 30
bladerunnner
February 14, 2012, 7:43pm

Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.31
Rep Score: +22 / -10
Quoted from STB

The lyrics are about Geoff Travis (the head of rough trade records).

cheers mate(i knew that),just trying to bring a bit of humour to the table,i'm not known for my easy going approach on here am i?

irony................its a bit like brassy,only made from iron!   (baldrick,blackadder)
Private Message
Reply: 15 - 30
cleefish
February 14, 2012, 8:04pm
L:incoln
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.14
Rep Score: +10 / -4
Approval: +6

SCOTT & HURST will do for me they have brought back the belief to the fans club players a like and  if they stay I firmly  think that they will take us further up the leagues.utm
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 16 - 30
February 14, 2012, 8:12pm
Guest User
There are some thick fornicators on here, did they even understand the original thread? 10 years from now I hope Scott/ hurst are doing the business in the premiership.
Reply: 17 - 30
February 14, 2012, 8:18pm
Guest User
There are some thick fornicators on here, did they even understand the original thread? 10 years from now I hope Scott/ hurst are doing the business in the premiership.
Reply: 18 - 30
newfootballer
February 14, 2012, 9:29pm

Snakebite drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.10
Rep Score: +19 / -5
Approval: +378

Good point you are quite correct.
NEWFOOTBALLER
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 19 - 30
Ipswin
February 15, 2012, 12:18pm
Vodka Drinker

Oh sorry I misunderstood

So he is asking if Shankly was an ill-disciplined loudmouth too was he?

The answer is still no similarity whatsoever.

Private Message
Reply: 20 - 30
Grimsby2012
February 15, 2012, 2:03pm

Fine Wine Drinker
Quoted from Ipswin

Oh sorry I misunderstood

So he is asking if Shankly was an ill-disciplined loudmouth too was he?

The answer is still no similarity whatsoever.

Im not asking you to be that narrow minded , it's not just down to being a loud mouth, it's about his ideas and how he organises his team (not just shouting) and the philosophy he takes into games.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 21 - 30
Ipswin
February 15, 2012, 2:22pm
Vodka Drinker
I don't think anyone can make a comparison, be it about tactics, man management, football philosophy or anyting else for that matter.
Scot has never even managed in the Football League never mind its higher reaches and is, in my opinion, never likely to do so.
His philosophy and ideas so far at little non-league outfits would probably change anyway even if he struggled up to the heights of Div 2
Anything like Shankley? Not while he's got a hole in his @rse

Private Message
Reply: 22 - 30
Bullitt
February 15, 2012, 2:31pm
Guest User
Quoted from Ipswin
I don't think anyone can make a comparison, be it about tactics, man management, football philosophy or anyting else for that matter.
Scot has never even managed in the Football League never mind its higher reaches and is, in my opinion, never likely to do so.
His philosophy and ideas so far at little non-league outfits would probably change anyway even if he struggled up to the heights of Div 2

You are the biggest negative nelly on here, did your parents lock you in a cupboard as a child?
Reply: 23 - 30
rancido
February 15, 2012, 4:46pm

Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.26
Rep Score: +41 / -10
Approval: +6,667
Gold Stars: 102
[quote=2075]

You are the biggest negative nelly on here, did your parents lock you in a cupboard as a child?[/quote]

Possibly not , but they should have done.

The Future is Black & White.
"The commonest thing on this planet is not water , as some people believe, but stupidity ". Frank Zappa
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 24 - 30
Ipswin
February 15, 2012, 7:35pm
Vodka Drinker
Quoted from 2075

You are the biggest negative nelly on here,

Can you explain the point of being stupidly positive and blindly over optimistic on such ridiculous schoolboy questions such as this? Does it take us or GTFC anywhere?

Blind stupidity and over optimism on behalf of Fenty, the rest of the board, a succession of
sh!te managers signing even worse players backed by thousands of fans in rose tinted spectacles have all led to our current non-league status

Many have said Fenty needs to come up with a detailed and credible plan for the way forward (fortunately for him the recent superb run of results have taken the pressure off again) what we really need is a dose of realism, accepting what can reasonably be achieved.

Scott coming anywhere near a manager like Shankly is just another example of the gullibility of many here. OK so it was possibly a tongue in cheek question  from someone with nowt else to do after his homework was finished but it is indicative of the impossible expectations of many

Having supported Town for nearly 55 years take my advice, expect nowt and you won't be disappointed and when it does go right you'll be even more delighted (I stood and cried like a kid as Town came out at Wembley against Bournemouth)

Question - If Hearn gets 30 league goals this season is he half as good as Dixie Dean ? (what do you mean Dixie who?)

Private Message
Reply: 25 - 30
Ipswin
February 15, 2012, 7:37pm
Vodka Drinker
Quoted from rancido
[quote=2075]

You are the biggest negative nelly on here, did your parents lock you in a cupboard as a child?[/quote]

Possibly not , but they should have done.

If it kept me away from you mad fukers I would have locked myself in!

Private Message
Reply: 26 - 30
RoboCod
February 15, 2012, 8:59pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from Ipswin

when it does go right you'll be even more delighted (I stood and cried like a kid as Town came out at Wembley against Bournemouth)

Will you have the sheer audacity to watch Town at Wembley in the Trophy Final if we get there ? The trophy you wanted us to lose in that would then have lead to the management duo getting the sack, or so you hoped?

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 27 - 30
Ipswin
February 15, 2012, 10:10pm
Vodka Drinker
Quoted from RoboCod

Will you have the sheer audacity to watch Town at Wembley in the Trophy Final if we get there ? The trophy you wanted us to lose in that would then have lead to the management duo getting the sack, or so you hoped?

If you are intent on being unpleasant at least get it right

At no time have I ever stated that I wanted Town out of the FA Trophy in order to get the management sacked, I don't think defeat in the Trophy would get them sacked anyway Fenty has clearly pinned his colours to these two and can't be seen to changing horses yet again whatever happens.

I wouldn't mind defeat in the Trophy however if progressing in it affects in any way any chance we have of promotion, in other words I believe a return to the Football League comes before some tinpot cup, in fact it comes before absolutely everything.

If we get to the final of the Trophy (or the play offs) I had intended to go if that's OK with you, if you object of course I won't go.

Private Message
Reply: 28 - 30
RoboCod
February 15, 2012, 10:14pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from Ipswin

If you are intent on being unpleasant at least get it right

At no time have I ever stated that I wanted Town out of the FA Trophy in order to get the management sacked, I don't think defeat in the Trophy would get them sacked anyway Fenty has clearly pinned his colours to these two and can't be seen to changing horses yet again whatever happens.

I wouldn't mind defeat in the Trophy however if progressing in it affects in any way any chance we have of promotion, in other words I believe a return to the Football League comes before some tinpot cup, in fact it comes before absolutely everything.

If we get to the final of the Trophy (or the play offs) I had intended to go if that's OK with you, if you object of course I won't go.

Unpleasant ? No, just factual.  after all we aren't going to win the bast@rd thing are we

[url]http://www.thefishy.co.uk/cgi-bin/forum/Blah.pl?m-1319392289/s-3/#num3[/url]

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 29 - 30
sutton mariner
February 16, 2012, 12:30am
Exile
Posts Per Day: 0.45
Rep Score: +52 / -6
Approval: +1,135
Gold Stars: 49
Quoted from Ipswin

If you don't facking like him......
Don't facking come!!

I Make Movies #UTM
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 30 - 30
4 Pages 1 2 3 4 All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Does Scott=Shankly

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.