Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Football about to implode?
Users Browsing Forum
No Members and 96 Guests

Football about to implode?

This thread currently has 2,614 views. Print
3 Pages 1 2 3 All Recommend Thread
siy2k5
February 13, 2012, 10:15pm
Bite me!
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.86
Rep Score: +36 / -6
Approval: -2
With the news today about Rangers and Portsmouth, and the well documented recent troubles at Darlo and Kettering, I can't help thinking that the game is in serious trouble, much worse than we thought.

Several clubs have had troubles in recent times; Leeds spending money they didn't have (well, they gambled on making the CL) and fell through the leagues when it went mammaries up. Leicester, Rovrum, Luton, Bournemouth, Southend, and many others have been, or been close to, administration, many of them more than once.

QPR recently sacked their manager, as they "can't afford" to go down.  Hull had players on huge contracts when they got relegated, with no clauses for the eventuality of relegation, and it nearly bankrupted them.  Newcastle had similar problems when they went down.

More and more clubs are overspending chasing the dream.  Then when iit goes mammaries up, the fans suffer, along with local businesses.

The case against Rangers could be a landmark.  They owe close to £50m in "dodged taxes" relating to payments made to players in the 90's, into offshore accounts.  They can't be the only club that has done this, therefore if HMRC win, it could open the floodgates and many more clubs could be in serious financial trouble.

Quoted from marinerian
If Newport win it b4 heir vist to BP, I will sit in The Osmond dressed as Little Bo-Peep for the match against them!  

Logged Offline
Private Message
immariner
February 13, 2012, 10:33pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.67
Rep Score: +20 / -4
Approval: +3,420
Gold Stars: 62
There's plenty, plenty enough money in football to go around. The problems are it's monstrously top-heavy and there's too much outside money thrown at it. The only way it will survive long term is if there are strong, stringent, and tightly-monitored rules put in place that mean clubs can only spend what they generate. This stops clubs going for broke and means they can't get into trouble when a rich backer pulls the plug/dies/runs them into the ground.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 1 - 27
Abdul19
February 13, 2012, 10:58pm

Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 3.40
Rep Score: +71 / -26
Approval: +17,629
Gold Stars: 220
Is football any more likely to implode than it was, say, 5 years ago?

JESUS AT THE CENTRE
Private Message
Reply: 2 - 27
siy2k5
February 13, 2012, 11:05pm
Bite me!
Whiskey Drinker
Quoted from Abdul19

IMO yes.

Quoted from marinerian
If Newport win it b4 heir vist to BP, I will sit in The Osmond dressed as Little Bo-Peep for the match against them!  

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 3 - 27
DJ Mera
February 13, 2012, 11:24pm
Exile
Posts Per Day: 0.12
Rep Score: +18 / 0
Approval: +1
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 4 - 27
Limerick Mariner
February 14, 2012, 12:45am
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.56
Rep Score: +10 / -3
Approval: +5,778
Gold Stars: 138
Quoted from immariner
There's plenty, plenty enough money in football to go around. The problems are it's monstrously top-heavy and there's too much outside money thrown at it. The only way it will survive long term is if there are strong, stringent, and tightly-monitored rules put in place that mean clubs can only spend what they generate. This stops clubs going for broke and means they can't get into trouble when a rich backer pulls the plug/dies/runs them into the ground.

It's called the diarrhoea effect. The more money is poured into the game - TV and foreign hobby owners the more sh*t comes out from it - mainly in form of the diveballers who play in the premiership and their agents.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 5 - 27
GYinScuntland
February 14, 2012, 1:10am

Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.49
Rep Score: +21 / -6
Approval: +3,253
Gold Stars: 98
Quoted from Abdul19

Dunno but my relationship just has, and booked Blackpool Travelodge for Fleetwood away. Oh well, not the best looker.
ps- shares going Blackpool south, LMFAO
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 6 - 27
aldi_01
February 14, 2012, 8:37am

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.02
Rep Score: +54 / -20
Approval: +5,679
Gold Stars: 473
Football is bollocksed but while sky and scudamore are running the game it won't go away. They'll simply lift the carpet, brush all the problems undercut and just throw more non existent money at it.

Too many people believe everything sky,experts etc say. The best league, biggest clubs, highest earners, biggest crowds etc. In reality some of those are true but they have also led to the game struggling. Attendances aren't going up. Throughout all the leagues pretty much every stadium has empty seats and I'd hazard a guess that 95% of professional clubs in this country are in a financial mess.

Football in England is now like Americas economy, the too one percent take a massive chunk of the money while the rest feed off scraps. Will it change? Probably not. Small clubs will continue to go out of business and clubs like Portsmouth who have taken the urine too many times and continue to do so will be bailed out to save the premier league and football league the embarrassment.

We are miles behind in youth development and we don't really compete at international level, quarter finals is not good enough for a country like England and all it's so called amazing players and teams. This year we've so far struggled in Europe really.

Do I care? No, I care about gtfc as do we all. We can't change the game, the crooks the clowns the blinkered vision of those in charge need to, but they won't! They think everything is rosey...

'the poor and the needy are selfish and greedy'...well done Mozza
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 7 - 27
February 14, 2012, 11:02am
Guest User
At the end of the day the F.A only care about the top 10 in the Premiership and until a couple of them are in serious financial difficulty not alot is going to happen.
Reply: 8 - 27
Tommy
February 14, 2012, 1:55pm
Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 1.21
Rep Score: +60 / -15
Approval: +8,869
Gold Stars: 76
Rangers are taking the urine aren't they?

Sign Daniel Cousin a few days ago (on however many thousand pounds per week) then the next thing they are applying for administration because they owe HMRC over £50 million in tax. How the hell has their debt to HMRC been allowed to get to that level when they spend £8million chasing Honest Harry for £30k.

"The greatest mistake you can make in life is to continually be afraid you will make one."
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 9 - 27
Ipswin
February 14, 2012, 2:02pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.10
Rep Score: +44 / -47
Approval: -3,552
Gold Stars: 89
I don't think it will ever totally implode but there are far too many full time professional clubs.

No country has so many and if the sick and the lame are thinned out by bankrupcy and closure what is left may well be much leaner fitter and league.

On bended knee is no way to be free - Peter R de Vries

https://www.linkedin.com/pulse.....=public_profile_post
Private Message
Reply: 10 - 27
lawless29
February 14, 2012, 2:40pm

Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.11
Rep Score: +13 / -2
Approval: +11
i think rangers will neogiate a deal to prevent them going into administration if they went under it would be equally bad for the scottish game

https://www.facebook.com/GrimsbyCleethorpesHistory
[url=http://postimage.org/][img]http://s7.postimage.org/6lz8j8h4r/403320_362485870431139_1145829449_n.jpg[/img][/url]
[url=http://postimage.org/]photo upload[/url]
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 11 - 27
Trawler
February 14, 2012, 3:04pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.22
Rep Score: +33 / -4
Approval: +915
Gold Stars: 6
Rangers now in administration, proper according to 5 Live.

"Pound for pound, and class for class, the best football team I have seen in England since the war. In the league they were in they played football nobody else could play. Everything was measured, planned and perfected and you could not wish to see more entertaining football." Bill Shankly, Manager GTFC 1951-54
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 12 - 27
siy2k5
February 14, 2012, 4:17pm
Bite me!
Whiskey Drinker
Quoted from lawless29
i think rangers will neogiate a deal to prevent them going into administration if they went under it would be equally bad for the scottish game

Don't ever get a job as a lawyer will you

Quoted from marinerian

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 13 - 27
STB
February 14, 2012, 4:24pm

Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.70
Rep Score: +66 / -22
Quoted from Abdul19

No, much less so IMO.
The four recent examples are due to alleged dishonesty rather than good old-fashioned bad management.
The crooks are gradually being forced out of football.

Former lover of all things GTFC . . .
Private Message
Reply: 14 - 27
lawsman
February 14, 2012, 5:03pm
Beer Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.03
Rep Score: +2 / -1
To sort this sorry mess out, it will not alter a thing until a premiershite team goes bust, they should look at the way things are done in Germany.

Clubs have their books audited every 2 years, if they do not owe anything ( not in debt)they are allowed to carry on. If they are in debt they are kicked down a division or kicked out of the league.

If after the books have been audited and they pass the audit, they can then go out and spend £100 million if they so wish, however they have only got 2 years to pay it off before their next audit.

One question I would like to ask is how have the HRMC allowed clubs to get into this mess with the tax, any other business would be getting calls and letters from HRMC if they are 7 days late in paying their dues.

HRMC and the government need to look no further than the professional clubs , alledgedly owing between them all approx £1 billion, if they collect this amount in then they could stop crucifying the working man and making us go with out. They should also stop giving money away abroad to countries that do not need it or want( India declared this 2 weeks ago).

More money needs to come down to the lower leagues to help them especially with youth set ups etc.

The sooner the so called top teams join a European league and leave the premiershite then football would be better for it as you would have players that want to play and not just for the money. There would be more money available for the lesser clubs and lower leagues.
Just my opinion!!!!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 15 - 27
STB
February 14, 2012, 5:16pm

Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.70
Rep Score: +66 / -22
Agree about a euroleague. It could replace the current champions league and let the 'normal' teams compete in their own countries. It is pretty easy to predict which teams will finish in the top places in most countries. Time for the elite to fkoff.

Former lover of all things GTFC . . .
Private Message
Reply: 16 - 27
Dan
February 14, 2012, 5:16pm

Exile
Posts Per Day: 0.36
Rep Score: +36 / -17
Approval: +551
If Grimsby got promoted to the premiership, not one of us would be calling it the premiershite or saying we don't want to be there.

Quoted from John Fenty, April 2013
I deconstructed the flag to the point where it was safe and couldn’t be considered a danger
Private Message
Reply: 17 - 27
nickmariners
February 14, 2012, 5:20pm
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.10
Rep Score: +21 / -6
Approval: +520
Gold Stars: 4
Quoted from Dan
If When Grimsby got get promoted to the premiership, not one of us would be calling it the premiershite or saying we don't want to be there.

Where there's hope...

----------------------
Exodus - Movement of Fish People

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 18 - 27
kingofthekippers
February 14, 2012, 6:19pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.98
Rep Score: +39 / -4
Approval: +6
Quoted from Abdul19

It's getting perilously close. Five years ago money was far easy to come by so investors were prevalent; the credit crisis has put paid to that. More importantly in this time of austerity the HMRC has finally found some guts when tackling football's finances. In the past they would not have delved so hard into football's arrangements but when every penny counts they now will - take the legal challenge against the 'football creditors first' rule of the FL. If they win that expect to see the taxman go after many more clubs and rightly so.

Mr McGee, don't make me angry. You wouldn't like me when I'm angry.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 19 - 27
Abdul19
February 14, 2012, 6:57pm

Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 3.40
Rep Score: +71 / -26
Approval: +17,629
Gold Stars: 220
Interesting/baffling that despite all this, no PL or FL club have gone bust since 1992.

JESUS AT THE CENTRE
Private Message
Reply: 20 - 27
ross1cod
February 14, 2012, 7:07pm
Lager Top Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.06
Rep Score: +5 / -1
Approval: -1
my friend who is a rangers fan told me its the best thing that could happen to rangers if they went into admin,cos its only THE HMRC that they owe 50mill too,, i was too shocked to even talk to him after that statement,, am fairly sure the other creditors of rangers would think it would be for the best...
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 21 - 27
kingofthekippers
February 14, 2012, 7:26pm
Vodka Drinker
Quoted from lawsman
To sort this sorry mess out, it will not alter a thing until a premiershite team goes bust, they should look at the way things are done in Germany.

Clubs have their books audited every 2 years, if they do not owe anything ( not in debt)they are allowed to carry on. If they are in debt they are kicked down a division or kicked out of the league.

If after the books have been audited and they pass the audit, they can then go out and spend £100 million if they so wish, however they have only got 2 years to pay it off before their next audit.

One question I would like to ask is how have the HRMC allowed clubs to get into this mess with the tax, any other business would be getting calls and letters from HRMC if they are 7 days late in paying their dues.

HRMC and the government need to look no further than the professional clubs , alledgedly owing between them all approx £1 billion, if they collect this amount in then they could stop crucifying the working man and making us go with out. They should also stop giving money away abroad to countries that do not need it or want( India declared this 2 weeks ago).

More money needs to come down to the lower leagues to help them especially with youth set ups etc.

The sooner the so called top teams join a European league and leave the premiershite then football would be better for it as you would have players that want to play and not just for the money. There would be more money available for the lesser clubs and lower leagues.
Just my opinion!!!!

The HMRC treat football clubs just like any other business. Items like PAYE and VAT are not collected in real time, ie when they accrue from the paying of wages or from the sale of goods but periodically; they are paid monthly, quarterly, half-yearly or annually. The decision is down to the business so long as HMRC gets its' money. Other items such as corporation tax are only paid once the club has declared its' annual figures. Even then it can be paid over time.

The letters and legal action only start if the tax is not paid after the agreed payment date, which can be many months after the event. The temptation is that by then club may have spent it.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 22 - 27
kingofthekippers
February 14, 2012, 7:35pm
Vodka Drinker
Quoted from ross1cod
my friend who is a rangers fan told me its the best thing that could happen to rangers if they went into admin,cos its only THE HMRC that they owe 50mill too,, i was too shocked to even talk to him after that statement,, am fairly sure the other creditors of rangers would think it would be for the best...

Ignoring the fact that we all have to pay tax you are quite right in that the club has many other everyday creditors. It's biggest creditor as it stands (the club have yet to find out the verdict of the tax case) is the owner Craig Whyte. He purchased Rangers for just £1 on the proviso he took on the clubs £18m debts, mainly to the Bank of Scotland. This he did, repaying the bank, but securing the loans against the clubs assets.

Ergo, bizarrely thanks to administration he stands to lose his £1 investment but as a result of the 'football creditor first' rule will see his most, if not all, of his £18m loan repaid. He is free, should he wish, to form a new shell company and make a bid, along with any other parties of course, for the remains of Rangers.

It does appear that the HMRC pushed for administration today not on the basis of the possible outcome of this court case but rather that the club has not paid £9m in tax due since Whyte took over. Mmmm...

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 23 - 27
siy2k5
February 14, 2012, 7:52pm
Bite me!
Whiskey Drinker
It amazes me that a club pulling 50k fans is running at a £10m/year loss.  Something has been very wrong andhas been for years.

Quoted from marinerian

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 24 - 27
Ipswin
February 15, 2012, 12:33pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.10
Rep Score: +44 / -47
Approval: -3,552
Gold Stars: 89
Quoted from kingofthekippers

The temptation is that by then club may have spent it.

Which is exactly what happened at Grimsby Town, we collected it but simply didn't bother to pay it over to the Revenue.

Incidentally unlike England and Wales where HMRC is at the bottom of the list of creditors it has emerged today that in Scotland they come first! Big problem for Rangers I think - they might have to actually pay rather than walk away smirking.

Perhaps Fenty could negotiate a repayment plan like he did for us - 10 bob a week for eternity?

On bended knee is no way to be free - Peter R de Vries

https://www.linkedin.com/pulse.....=public_profile_post
Private Message
Reply: 25 - 27
GrimRob
February 15, 2012, 12:51pm

Posts Per Day: 2.11
Rep Score: +76 / -34
Approval: +13,468
Gold Stars: 115
I've always thought the TV will ultimately kill football. Eventually TV will get so good that there will be no need to attend games for a lot of people. This in turn will mean the atmosphere which is what makes the game exciting rather than the actual action will decline and make it less attractive to watch on television. In 50 years time it might be a fringe activity for a few remaining fanatics.

'Tis better to have loved and lost than never to have loved at all.  
~ Alfred Lord Tennyson

Logged Offline
Site Private Message Skype
Reply: 26 - 27
rancido
February 15, 2012, 5:14pm

Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.26
Rep Score: +41 / -10
Approval: +6,667
Gold Stars: 102
Quoted from Ipswin

Which is exactly what happened at Grimsby Town, we collected it but simply didn't bother to pay it over to the Revenue.Incidentally unlike England and Wales where HMRC is at the bottom of the list of creditors it has emerged today that in Scotland they come first! Big problem for Rangers I think - they might have to actually pay rather than walk away smirking.

Perhaps Fenty could negotiate a repayment plan like he did for us - 10 bob a week for eternity?

Not strictly true. We put off payment of tax intending to use the revenue from ITV Digital to cover this. When ITV Digital ceased to exist we were left with egg on our face and a big tax bill. Very bad board decisions IMO .

The Future is Black & White.
"The commonest thing on this planet is not water , as some people believe, but stupidity ". Frank Zappa
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 27 - 27
3 Pages 1 2 3 All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Football about to implode?

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.