Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Conference Reply
Users Browsing Forum
Googlebot and 138 Guests

Conference Reply

This thread currently has 23,038 views. Print
23 Pages Prev ... 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 Next All Recommend Thread
Bullitt
January 31, 2012, 12:21pm
Guest User
Out of interest why are some of our fans getting on their high horse regarding Darlington? Shouldn't we be concentrating on our own club?
Reply: 180 - 222
Quakerz
January 31, 2012, 12:21pm
Lager Top Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.07
Rep Score: +9 / -10
Quoted from RoboCod

So he didn't have enough to cover? Let me quote Stan_Darlo from earlier in this thread..

You're right, Houghton was pumping money we did't have into the club and we had some brilliant players. Little did we know he all the money he was spending was a loan that he decided to recall when he'd had enough

A loan? Of a finite amount? That is NOT cover for wreckless spending. And IF Fenty ever decides to pull out he still will not have the fact that he was spending money owed to small businesses on more players hanging over his head, nor the fact that his players went unpaid. Bored of repeating this now.

Stan Darlo was talking about George Houghton who spent money he didn't have and plunged us into administration number 2.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 181 - 222
RoboCod
January 31, 2012, 12:22pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.90
Rep Score: +70 / -19
Approval: +7,505
Quoted from Quakerz

An embargo is SURELY ONLY to stop said team from SPENDING ANY MORE MONEY, it's surely not about making sure the team is systematically weakened to the point of whipping boys in some bizarre punishment ritual. If a club gets a couple of free loans it is not spending any more money.

My gripe isn't aimed at Darlos present situation, nor particularly at the outgoing money (though you'd be paying these players? ). It just sets up a potentially unfair system. You could (and looks like you do) have the sympathy of giants like Newcastle/Sunderland who will want to help out a neighbouring club in peril. So you get (technically) Premiership players for free, probably ensuring you stay up. Other clubs, whether through size or location may not get that treatment and are down to the usual rummage through the bargain bins, hardly helping them out at all. Again, it's the flaw in the system I'm seeing here, another grey area that could be exploited by some.
For what it's worth, I don't have an answer for this

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 182 - 222
Grantham_Mariner
January 31, 2012, 12:24pm

Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 0.80
Rep Score: +23 / -1
Approval: +3,221
Gold Stars: 52
Quoted from Quakerz

Exactly. We weren't "cheating", we were living "within the means available to us" like Grimsby. Then that funding got pulled.

Bye, haven’t you gone yet, you have a club to save. Bye.

If the football is bad you can always watch the gulls.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 183 - 222
Quakerz
January 31, 2012, 12:25pm
Lager Top Drinker
Quoted from Marinerz93

I see there are no appologies coming forward from Darlington fans for verbally abusing a woman at work just because she comes from Grimsby.

Show me the evidence of it happening and I will apologise on behalf of Darlo fans.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 184 - 222
Marinerz93
January 31, 2012, 12:25pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.55
Rep Score: +89 / -11
Approval: +6,292
Gold Stars: 1
Quoted from Quakerz

Exactly. We weren't "cheating", we were living "within the means available to us" like Grimsby. Then that funding got pulled.

Didn't the pulling of said funding happen around the same time that his other interests in land around your stadium got denied/blocked.

Supporting the Mighty Mariners for over 30 years, home town club is were the heart and soul is and it's great to be a part of it.

Jesus’ disciple Peter, picked up a fish to get the tribute money from it, Jesus left his thumb print on the fish, bless'ed is the Haddock.
Private Message
Reply: 185 - 222
Quakerz
January 31, 2012, 12:26pm
Lager Top Drinker
Quoted from RoboCod

My gripe isn't aimed at Darlos present situation, nor particularly at the outgoing money (though you'd be paying these players? ). It just sets up a potentially unfair system. You could (and looks like you do) have the sympathy of giants like Newcastle/Sunderland who will want to help out a neighbouring club in peril. So you get (technically) Premiership players for free, probably ensuring you stay up. Other clubs, whether through size or location may not get that treatment and are down to the usual rummage through the bargain bins, hardly helping them out at all. Again, it's the flaw in the system I'm seeing here, another grey area that could be exploited by some.
For what it's worth, I don't have an answer for this

Neither do I.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 186 - 222
Quakerz
January 31, 2012, 12:27pm
Lager Top Drinker
Quoted from Marinerz93

Didn't the pulling of said funding happen around the same time that his other interests in land around your stadium got denied/blocked.

Yep, he'd decided he'd had enough of putting money in. His prerogative I suppose.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 187 - 222
RoboCod
January 31, 2012, 12:27pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.90
Rep Score: +70 / -19
Approval: +7,505
Quoted from Quakerz

Stan Darlo was talking about George Houghton who spent money he didn't have and plunged us into administration number 2.

Yeah, I randomly picked Admin to discuss. Houghton, Singh, Reynolds, they all stung you (though Singh isn't in the same league as the other 2)..but can't be compared to Fenty and his current financial woes. Deliberate wreckless spending over basic mis-management is my point, meet me halfway on this, I haven't mailed the BSP bosses and I haven't wished you out of business.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 188 - 222
Quakerz
January 31, 2012, 12:30pm
Lager Top Drinker
Quoted from Marinerz93

It will be a new experience for you, getting whipped that is.  You see we had over 5 seasons of that because we were paying our debts whilst trying to compete with sides who just popped into admin when it suited them.  Watching players going through the motions or simply not being good enough was what a lot of our younger fans have had to stomach.  It effects the gates and morale, maybe when you have savoured this you will apprieciate were a lot of our frustrations have come from.

We've had 3 decent seasons in the last 10 or so, my 29 years supportin has been about watching vastly inferior teams to the ones you have watched. Don't tell me I need to know what it's like to watch excrement, uncaring players etc etc, when I've got the T-Shirt mate.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 189 - 222
23 Pages Prev ... 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Conference Reply

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.