Users Browsing Forum
Googlebot and 84 Guests

H&S Doubters

This thread currently has 1,906 views. Print
3 Pages 1 2 3 All Recommend Thread
80sglory
January 3, 2012, 4:55pm
Guest User
People are chomping at the bit to discuss this on TOTY so thought I'd set up a new thread.

I can see both sides - think the fans talking about relegation not so long ago should have got a grip, but like Scott says it's an ongoing process and we haven't achieved anything yet.

I've defended S&H from the flak and we've certainly progressed going the right way recently, but I wouldn't say I have no doubts at all going forward either - so I'm a "possible". Won't say why right now.

So are you confident S&H will now deliver promotion this season or next ?
Or are you a doubter wondering if they're still the right choice ?

In either case, why ?

Discuss...
nelly_gtfc
January 3, 2012, 4:58pm
Guest User
Their was hardly any doubters in the first place when they came, so surely their won't be many votes
Reply: 1 - 20
Paris Mariner
January 3, 2012, 5:02pm
www.theliquidfootballblog.wordpress.com
Main Stander
Posts Per Day: 0.53
Rep Score: +20 / -4
Approval: +809
Clearly, it's a possibilty.

bilbaogroundguide.wordpress.com
ingoldale.tumblr.com Football and gig ticket blog
Logged Offline
Private Message Skype
Reply: 2 - 20
GrimmyGrimGrim
January 3, 2012, 5:03pm

Beer Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.03
Rep Score: +2 / -2
Definitely possible.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 3 - 20
MuddyWaters
January 3, 2012, 5:07pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.59
Rep Score: +48 / -24
Approval: +32,294
Gold Stars: 236
It's still way to early to call H&S a success or failure.
Private Message
Reply: 4 - 20
rancido
January 3, 2012, 5:09pm

Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.25
Rep Score: +41 / -10
Approval: +6,684
Gold Stars: 102
I never doubted their potential and ability. If you look at their managerial career it has just steadily progressed and we are the next stage in their progression as a competent force. Too many fans on here wrote them off early in the season and gave them ridiculous nicknames but it was never going to be easy to pull things round at the club. I can see a very interesting second half of the season and a much better next season.

The Future is Black & White.
"The commonest thing on this planet is not water , as some people believe, but stupidity ". Frank Zappa
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 5 - 20
MyDogsThoughts
January 3, 2012, 5:13pm

Woof Woof!!!
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.87
Rep Score: +43 / -12
Approval: +38
We haven't beaten a decent team yet, or had a cup run: I'm keeping my four feet firmly on the ground.

I hope to get excited around Easter if we still have a chance of the Play-Offs and a Trophy triumph.

[img]http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_0viO-Dm52sM/Rz9JfAGEp6I/AAAAAAAAD8Y/QB-YolLcMJ8/s320/big%2Bbones.jpg[/img]

"I Love Bones, But I Think I'll Lick My Balls Now"
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 6 - 20
voice of reason
January 3, 2012, 5:18pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.57
Rep Score: +46 / -17
Approval: -1
Quoted from 1600
People are chomping at the bit to discuss this on TOTY so thought I'd set up a new thread.

I can see both sides - think the fans talking about relegation not so long ago should have got a grip, but like Scott says it's an ongoing process and we haven't achieved anything yet.

I've defended S&H from the flak and we've certainly progressed going the right way recently, but I wouldn't say I have no doubts at all going forward either - so I'm a "possible". Won't say why right now.

So are you confident S&H will now deliver promotion this season or next ?
Or are you a doubter wondering if they're still the right choice ?

In either case, why ?

Discuss...

I thought they was a good appointmnt when they took over and wasn't too concerned with their poor results from last season... The start we had this season was shocking, the good performances were sporadic at best and to me, at times, the players displayed the same sort of 'can't be arsed' attitude that we have had for many years, this is when I became a 'doubter' and would have quite happily seen the back of them...

Lately, there can be no denying we seem to have, at last, made some real progress... 3 league wins in a row, 1 defeat in 13, some of the quality performances and the amount of goals we have scored are signs of progress... I hope the progress continues and even in the times when I did doubt them, I didn't abuse them, just raised my concerns regarding whether they was the right men to take the club forward...

I still have some doubts though... I want to see us win the top teams both, home and away, because not trying to take anything away from recent results, have we really played any one of real quality who is up at the top end of the league...??? I also guess a lot of my doubts aren't directly related to the managers we have now but more the 'not wanting to get suckedd in to believing again and ending up being dissapointed...

As for this season I think we are too far adrift to make the play-off spots even though we seem to be giving a real crack... Next season with the same progress and an ability to beat the top teams we can deffinately achieve promotion and it would be a disapointment if we didn't make the play-offs...

"I am surprised that Bright pratt like you fails to get a grasp of the queens English been as your allways pulling up anyone who fails to follow your thoughts and if they don't give you verbal pats on the back get real and grow up this is a free speech site.UTMM".(Cleefish, 2012)       
Private Message
Reply: 7 - 20
Southwark Mariner
January 3, 2012, 5:21pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.69
Rep Score: +21 / -6
Approval: +3,583
Gold Stars: 84
I've put possibly but leaning more towards probably

I reckon they're doing everything needed but we are still struggling financially and need the gates to increase to support a promotion push (we seem to be a little light on experienced central midfielders atm). Not overly sure what the board want the supporters trust to do about setting their budget.

Three things that would push me to suggest probably:

Ryan Bennett being sold in the summer giving us enough cash to keep going for an extra 2 years at current overspend
Wembley visit with the fa vase and cash
A couple of excelllent money spinning friendlies to boost the youth system funds. I'm not overly sure why so many of our friendlies last year were away and to clubs with fan bases in the hundreds. Real shame about the Hull fixture but guess they made up for it with Townsend.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 8 - 20
mariner91
January 3, 2012, 5:26pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.64
Rep Score: +78 / -11
Approval: +19,918
Gold Stars: 264
Quoted from voice of reason

I thought they was a good appointmnt when they took over and wasn't too concerned with their poor results from last season... The start we had this season was shocking, the good performances were sporadic at best and to me, at times, the players displayed the same sort of 'can't be arsed' attitude that we have had for many years, this is when I became a 'doubter' and would have quite happily seen the back of them...

Lately, there can be no denying we seem to have, at last, made some real progress... 3 league wins in a row, 1 defeat in 13, some of the quality performances and the amount of goals we have scored are signs of progress... I hope the progress continues and even in the times when I did doubt them, I didn't abuse them, just raised my concerns regarding whether they was the right men to take the club forward...

I still have some doubts though... I want to see us win the top teams both, home and away, because not trying to take anything away from recent results, have we really played any one of real quality who is up at the top end of the league...??? I also guess a lot of my doubts aren't directly related to the managers we have now but more the 'not wanting to get suckedd in to believing again and ending up being dissapointed...

As for this season I think we are too far adrift to make the play-off spots even though we seem to be giving a real crack... Next season with the same progress and an ability to beat the top teams we can deffinately achieve promotion and it would be a disapointment if we didn't make the play-offs...

Good post but I believe its 1 loss in 14 not 13.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 9 - 20
lobsterpot
January 3, 2012, 5:31pm

Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.16
Rep Score: +18 / -2
Approval: +742
Gold Stars: 15
Quoted from MyDogsThoughts
We haven't beaten a decent team yet, or had a cup run: I'm keeping my four feet firmly on the ground.

I hope to get excited around Easter if we still have a chance of the Play-Offs and a Trophy triumph.

I would say starting in the f a cup qualifiers and almost getting to the 3rd round is a decent cup run compared to the last few seasons to be honest.

" YOU ALWAYS SCORE FROM OUR CORNERS, SCORE FROM OUR CORNERS........"

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 10 - 20
gary_elton
January 3, 2012, 5:34pm

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.19
Rep Score: +23 / -6
Approval: +1,243
Gold Stars: 6
I think there's a good chance it's a safe bet to say it might just possibly be a probability at the moment

no fence sitting from me !!!  

All my pictures , Seem to fade to black and white.... (Reg Dwight)
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 11 - 20
bobbyboxer
January 3, 2012, 7:52pm
Beer Drinker
this year is to mutch to ask after the start we had but a bit more fine tunning ready for the start of next season a massive possability just keep playing with pride and passion and getting a few results along the way and the fans wil come back
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 12 - 20
Fishfinger
January 3, 2012, 8:11pm

Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.50
Rep Score: +46 / -6
Approval: +144
Quoted from MyDogsThoughts

This
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 13 - 20
Abdul19
January 3, 2012, 8:14pm

Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 3.40
Rep Score: +71 / -26
Approval: +17,638
Gold Stars: 220
Quoted from Fishfinger

This

Apart from the four feet bit, presumably  

And yeah, possibly from me too.

JESUS AT THE CENTRE
Private Message
Reply: 14 - 20
marinette
January 3, 2012, 8:39pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.05
Rep Score: +38 / -4
Approval: +320
Gold Stars: 3
I couldn't pretend to be anything other than infuriated, ratty and sometimes downright annoyed when we were bobbling about in the relegation places early on in the season - after so many years of being positive and patient, I think the situation finally got to me.  Mind you, I was in good company, as the management team weren't exactly complimentary towards their own players back then, either.  

I would never have called for Scott and Hurst to be sacked, as I strongly believe the continual and relentless change of personnel was partly responsible for our demise in the first place, and that is why I found it so frustrating to see us scratting around at the bottom of the table with a brand new team.

As for now, I am still unsure.  I always hoped the fact that we were a young side would mean there was room for improvement.  I saw the first signs of something very real and solid in Conor Townsend's performance on Sunday - for me, the improvement in his game shone like a beacon and really lifted my spirits.  I know he's not exactly ours, but the fact that he's on loan until the end of the season means he is likely to be with us for as long as some of our own contracted players, and I'm so pleased about that, especially if he can maintain some sort of consistency and play like that every game, or even improve on his performance, if that's possible.

But I am not getting carried away with things just yet.  As VOR says, I'd like to see how we perform against quality opposition - Port Vale was good, but I'd like to see us get results against some of the high flyers in our own league.  I think that would work wonders for my confidence in the team - I have definitely enjoyed the last few games ... but still I feel cautious.

I don't think Icy was particularly enamoured of the management team in the early days, and I only wish he had been around long enough to see the current upturn in our fortunes.  I'm sure he would have been delighted by our recent form and I'd have loved to know what his views might be now about our prospects for the future.

Private Message
Reply: 15 - 20
battered haddock
January 3, 2012, 10:02pm
Beer Drinker
Rep Score: +3 / 0
Quoted from Fishfinger

This

that.............
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 16 - 20
diehardmariner
January 4, 2012, 12:04am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.00
Rep Score: +36 / -6
Approval: +17,859
Gold Stars: 549
Agree with those saying too early to say success or failure.  I've always said if anyone is going to restore us to our former glories, indeed anything close to it, would need more than the five minutes Fenty usually affords.  Perhaps the boardroom wranglings have prevented Fenty from pulling the trigger or at least distracted from the discontent amongst many until only a couple of months ago.

Scott and Hurst do appear to be getting it right, bringing in the right sort of players.  The sort of players we've lacked for so long.  It is though a huge ask to get into the play-offs and ultimately one too big I feel.   Hope I'm wrong but an injury and lengthy lay off for someone like Hearn, Elding, Coulson, Disley, Townsend, Wood or McKewon would mess us up big time without a like-for-like replacement. Of course every team in any league is the same but we need near perfect results for the rest of the season. Unfortunately with the likes of Silk, Spencer etc in the team for a long run we would be too weak in my eyes.  

As for next season, regardless of what league we're in, there is a pretty strong likelihood we won't have at least half of the seven players mentioned above.  They will require replacing and the cycle starts again (Hearn took x amount of games to get going, Elding the same).  Next May is when it will be fair to judge Scott and Hurst but I feel this summer and our resolve with incoming bids and the ability to keep our better players will be the make or break point.  
Private Message
Reply: 17 - 20
Colonel Fishpaste
January 4, 2012, 12:29am

Lager Top Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.06
Rep Score: +11 / -1
I don't think the playoffs are out of reach at all.  Now advancing via the playoffs is a crap shoot, but finishing in the places can be done by this team barring a lot of injuries.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 18 - 20
davmariner
January 4, 2012, 3:17am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.21
Rep Score: +37 / -11
Approval: +4,987
Gold Stars: 79
I think Cambridge in a week or so will be a big test for us. At this moment in time I'm a bit sceptical because of Manny Panther obviously leaving, Disley touch and go, Bradley Wood banned for two games and the re-introduction of Anthony Church.

Up The Mariners!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 19 - 20
MyDogsThoughts
January 4, 2012, 9:36am

Woof Woof!!!
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.87
Rep Score: +43 / -12
Approval: +38
Will we win three more games than the clubs above us before the end of the season?

That is the real question, beating each of them once will help, but do you really think we are going to get three points at either Fleetwood or Wrexham?

[img]http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_0viO-Dm52sM/Rz9JfAGEp6I/AAAAAAAAD8Y/QB-YolLcMJ8/s320/big%2Bbones.jpg[/img]

"I Love Bones, But I Think I'll Lick My Balls Now"
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 20 - 20
3 Pages 1 2 3 All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › H&S Doubters

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.