Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Lack of goals!
Users Browsing Forum
AdSense, Googlebot and 73 Guests

Lack of goals!

This thread currently has 2,055 views. Print
2 Pages 1 2 All Recommend Thread
Mariners_15
August 29, 2011, 4:59pm
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.31
Rep Score: +17 / -4
Approval: +538
Gold Stars: 1
Really worried by this lack of firepower! I know we played well and deserved something out the match, but the same can be said for Fleetwood, Darlo and today but if we have no one to put the chances away then I really fear for the season. Liam Hearn was meant to be our new goalscorer, don't mean to crititicise him too early but the lad can't read the game.

Need a goalscorer quickly..
Logged Offline
Private Message
Dan
August 29, 2011, 5:02pm

Exile
Posts Per Day: 0.36
Rep Score: +36 / -17
Approval: +551
It should be so simple though. 433 is shoving Hearn out on the left, when surely as a prolific striker he should be in the center. It's also leaving gaps which are being exploited down the wings.

I think anyone can see we need to go 442, with Eagle on the left wing, Coulson on the right. Church and Artus in the middle, and Hearn and one of Duffy or Elding up top. Makofo flatters to deceive, stick him on the bench and bring him on with 20 minutes left so his pace can frighten tired defences.

Quoted from John Fenty, April 2013
I deconstructed the flag to the point where it was safe and couldn’t be considered a danger
Private Message
Reply: 1 - 19
Mariners_15
August 29, 2011, 5:04pm
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.31
Rep Score: +17 / -4
Approval: +538
Gold Stars: 1
Quoted from Dan
It should be so simple though. 433 is shoving Hearn out on the left, when surely as a prolific striker he should be in the center.

I think anyone can see we need to go 442, with Eagle on the left, Coulson on the right. Church and Artus in the middle, and Hearn and one of Duffy or Elding up top. Makofo flatters to deceive, stick him on the bench and bring him on with 20 minutes left so his pace can frighten tired defences.

Fully agree mate but couldn't believe it against Darlo, just didn't read the game at all. Looks low on confidence as well though which doesn't help!

Styche should have been the main target in the summer when Connell left.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 2 - 19
Perkins
August 29, 2011, 5:09pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.29
Rep Score: +15 / -8
Approval: +1,986
Gold Stars: 7
Quoted from Dan
It should be so simple though.

I think anyone can see we need to go 442, with Eagle on the left wing, Coulson on the right. Church and Artus in the middle, and Hearn and one of Duffy or Elding up top. Makofo flatters to deceive, stick him on the bench and bring him on with 20 minutes left so his pace can frighten tired defences.

Agree totally about Eagle. Won't be long before the lad gets that pi*sed off at not even getting a place on the bench and wants away. Must be bloody disheartening for him, (and me) not getting a look in when we can all see that he should be playing.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 3 - 19
mariner91
August 29, 2011, 5:20pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.64
Rep Score: +78 / -11
Approval: +19,806
Gold Stars: 262
Quoted from Dan
It should be so simple though. 433 is shoving Hearn out on the left, when surely as a prolific striker he should be in the center. It's also leaving gaps which are being exploited down the wings.

Why on earth would you drop Disley?!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 4 - 19
Dan
August 29, 2011, 5:21pm

Exile
I meant Disley! oopps

I deconstructed the flag to the point where it was safe and couldn’t be considered a danger
Private Message
Reply: 5 - 19
cod.gtfc
August 29, 2011, 5:21pm

Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 0.58
Rep Score: +31 / -14
Approval: -1
You think its bad that we can't score? Imagine how Fleetwood feel, they have scored 3 in 6 games (2 against us). How many people here would have been happy signing Brodie, Mangan, Viera and now Vardy?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 6 - 19
RoboCod
August 29, 2011, 5:23pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.90
Rep Score: +70 / -19
Approval: +7,505
Quoted from cod.gtfc
You think its bad that we can't score? Imagine how Fleetwood feel, they have scored 3 in 6 games (2 against us). How many people here would have been happy signing Brodie, Mangan, Viera and now Vardy?

I can't imagine the reaction if we lost 1-0 at home to Alfreton but that's exactly what happended to York.

This isn't an football division it's a footballing freakshow  

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 7 - 19
Tommy
August 29, 2011, 5:33pm
Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 1.21
Rep Score: +60 / -15
Approval: +8,869
Gold Stars: 76
Yeah Eagle needs to be back in the team and we need to go 4-4-2. He is a clever player and creates chances for others as well as being more than capable of putting chances away himself.

I'd consider playing Makofo on the right wing and using Coulson as a striker up front with Duffy/Spencer/Elding as well. Coulson has a very good shot on him and with his head-down and run towards goal direct style, I think he could be prolific up front.

"The greatest mistake you can make in life is to continually be afraid you will make one."
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 8 - 19
ginnywings
August 29, 2011, 5:54pm

Recovering Alcoholic
Posts Per Day: 5.01
Rep Score: +88 / -32
Approval: +56,153
Gold Stars: 548
I don't think Eagle would make a lot of difference to be honest.I think you all want him in just because he isn't,so you're seeing him as the saviour.Too slow and lightweight for this league in my opinion.

Also don't think Coulson is the answer either.He has one way of taking chances and that's to hit the ball as hard as he possibly can.Never tries to place the ball as far as i can see.It comes off sometimes but like Saturdays chance,not often enough.

Elding and Hearn have a lot of goals between them and they will score goals i think.We need a bit of luck and confidence to grow.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 9 - 19
Dan
August 29, 2011, 5:58pm

Exile
I know he divided opinion last year, but for me it's not a case of grass is greener just because he's not in the team. I think he was unduly knocked last season.  Although Makofo looks like he's playing well, is he? It seems the idea is give it serge, let him take on 3 on a run to the touch line, then run back and try and take them on again, before losing it. Eagle delivered last season.

Private Message
Reply: 10 - 19
Maringer
August 29, 2011, 6:16pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.87
Rep Score: +60 / -12
Approval: +16,698
Gold Stars: 189
Quoted from Dan
It seems the idea is give it serge, let him take on 3 on a run to the touch line, then run back and try and take them on again, before losing it. Eagle delivered last season.

That description doesn't accurately describe what Makofo has done in the two games I've seen this season (Cambridge and Darlo). In both of those games, Makofo won lots of corners/free-kicks with his direct running, put some decent balls into the box and generally linked up well with his teammates.

Eagle was a bit of a strange one last season. He's certainly got some skill and passes the ball well in midfield but he doesn't have the pace or strength to get to the byline. His crossing isn't great either and neither are his set-pieces. However, he did score quite a few goals including lots of long-range efforts. I wouldn't be unhappy to see Eagle in the team but people shouldn't expect him to suddenly spark the forwards into life because I don't think he is the type of player who can necessarily make things happen.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 11 - 19
Dan
August 29, 2011, 7:07pm

Exile
I've only seen Braintree and Fleetwood, and a couple of pre-season but it fits him perfectly from what I've seen. He'd be giving away more goal kicks than winning corners by not actually picking the pass in time and running around in circles. Sure, it might get the crowd excited to see him do it, but it's completely ineffective.

With Hearn being pulled out on the left because of it, he often ended up on the by line himself whipping in the ball that in a 442, would be coming in from the left winger. I'm not saying Makofo is our problem, he isn't. But tactically, we're not using him correctly. (and he's a bit of a headless chicken)

Private Message
Reply: 12 - 19
marinerian
August 29, 2011, 7:15pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.69
Rep Score: +33 / -16
Approval: +15
We need two natural wingers in the mould of Childs and Gilbert! Players who can cross,pass, Play on the side line but can also cut inside.

Get Coulson and Spencer up top and use young Hearn as a sub imo would be a way to help him read the game and improve his confidence.

Coulson is too good to be playing out wide in a position that is not his natural position.

Very dissapointed not to have at least 3 wins to our name.

UP THE MARINERS
Private Message
Reply: 13 - 19
Roast Em Bobby
August 29, 2011, 7:31pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.27
Rep Score: +11 / -2
Approval: +1,729
Gold Stars: 44
Quoted from ginnywings
I don't think Eagle would make a lot of difference to be honest.I think you all want him in just because he isn't,so you're seeing him as the saviour.Too slow and lightweight for this league in my opinion.

Also don't think Coulson is the answer either.He has one way of taking chances and that's to hit the ball as hard as he possibly can.Never tries to place the ball as far as i can see.It comes off sometimes but like Saturdays chance,not often enough.

Elding and Hearn have a lot of goals between them and they will score goals i think.We need a bit of luck and confidence to grow.

Completely agree, I saw Eagle at Gainsboro playing in the whole and he was pretty anonymous - as you say he gets knocked off the ball to easily, plus he has very little pace and isn't a great crosser - sub at best for me.

Coulson to me is one of those players where its not clear what his best position is, he is without doubt a good player, but he's not the greatest winger and I struggle to see him as a centre forward.

I'd also stick with the front four strikers - Spencer or Duffy, with Hearn or Elding. We desperately need more crosses coming in from wide positions though.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 14 - 19
ponnyfan
August 31, 2011, 7:14pm
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.44
Rep Score: +36 / -3
Approval: +94
One for Marinettes box - Liam Hearn will be on 12 goals by January 1st and 25 for the season  

The Icenian Prediction League Winner 2011  .......the first Champion!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 15 - 19
TownSNAFU5
August 31, 2011, 9:42pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.13
Rep Score: +30 / -21
Approval: +6,908
Gold Stars: 42
Eagle might have a number of faults, but he scores more than his fair share of goals. After losing so many goal-scorers for different reasons, his goals contribution should be given serious consideration for a team or sub spot.

I also forecast that Hearn will score a lot of goals this season.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 16 - 19
80sglory
August 31, 2011, 9:57pm
Guest User
Quoted from Tommy
I'd consider playing Makofo on the right wing and using Coulson as a striker up front with Duffy/Spencer/Elding as well. Coulson has a very good shot on him and with his head-down and run towards goal direct style, I think he could be prolific up front.

I think we should consider it too.

I guess we probably have already but with so many strikers at the club and no genuine right winger, it's not been a huge suprise.

As much as a I like Coulson we could always sell to buy a right winger of a similar standard, but I'd much rather bite the bullet and try him up front before we do.
Of course we'll still need a right winger though - shame that lad from Millwall never came...

Reply: 17 - 19
gary_elton
August 31, 2011, 10:01pm

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.19
Rep Score: +23 / -6
Approval: +1,243
Gold Stars: 6
Seem to recall mentioning during pre-season that I thought Eagle wud be good for us this year....

disappointed the lad hasnt been given a run yet...

All my pictures , Seem to fade to black and white.... (Reg Dwight)
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 18 - 19
greg jones
September 1, 2011, 3:50pm
Coke Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.00
we haven't scored many goals, why cant we take a risk on the young lad mulready?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 19 - 19
2 Pages 1 2 All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Lack of goals!

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.