Marinerz93
July 20, 2011, 10:34pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.55
Rep Score: +89 / -11
Approval: +6,292
Gold Stars: 1
Quoted from ruraliron

Can,t see him coming back here,most likely a wind up.By the way thanks for the social history lesson just to add one point,1968 total steel employees 27000,2011 down to 4000.Perhaps the steel industry hasw been hit just has hard as fishing!

Were did you get the 27,000 figure from, not that I don't believe you but it would be interesting from an industrial point of view.  As we are taking history, the area in Grimsby called East Marsh was mainly the location were those employed in the fishing industry lived.  This is one of the reasons why the East Marsh is classed as one of the most deprived area's in the UK.  Those who didn't move away were either long term out of work or took low paid work.  I know in the Steel Industry people as far away as Grimsby and Doncaster work at the Corus plant so the local impact maybe isn't as obvious as is the case in Grimsby.

What are you thoughts on the EA and their increasing Environmental fines and licenses.  Do you think that what happened elsewhere like Wales and Middlesborough will  mean that Corus will be next on their close down list.

Supporting the Mighty Mariners for over 30 years, home town club is were the heart and soul is and it's great to be a part of it.

Jesus’ disciple Peter, picked up a fish to get the tribute money from it, Jesus left his thumb print on the fish, bless'ed is the Haddock.
Private Message
Reply: 10 - 15
Biccys
July 21, 2011, 9:37am
Posts Per Day: 2.03
Rep Score: +55 / -22
Approval: +1,226
Gold Stars: 27

Perhaps a new thread on the non footy section?

@biccysthefishy

£110,105

[url]https://www.easyfundraising.org.uk/causes/mariners-trust/[/url]
Logged Offline
Private Message Skype
Reply: 11 - 15
ruraliron
July 21, 2011, 2:57pm
Beer Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.02
Quoted from Marinerz93

Were did you get the 27,000 figure from, not that I don't believe you but it would be interesting from an industrial point of view.  As we are taking history, the area in Grimsby called East Marsh was mainly the location were those employed in the fishing industry lived.  This is one of the reasons why the East Marsh is classed as one of the most deprived area's in the UK.  Those who didn't move away were either long term out of work or took low paid work.  I know in the Steel Industry people as far away as Grimsby and Doncaster work at the Corus plant so the local impact maybe isn't as obvious as is the case in Grimsby.

What are you thoughts on the EA and their increasing Environmental fines and licenses.  Do you think that what happened elsewhere like Wales and Middlesborough will  mean that Corus will be next on their close down list.

Dont give a fig,Scunny like the rest of the north is fcked,thanks to the greeks indians and bankers,by the way i know East Marsh very well,my grandad lived there for nearly 50 years,now there was a true mariner,used to take me to BP without telling my Dad!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 12 - 15
RoboCod
July 21, 2011, 3:13pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.90
Rep Score: +70 / -19
Approval: +7,505
Quoted from ruraliron

Dont give a fig,Scunny like the rest of the north is fcked,thanks to the greeks indians and bankers,by the way i know East Marsh very well,my grandad lived there for nearly 50 years,now there was a true mariner,used to take me to BP without telling my Dad!

He sounded a great man  

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 13 - 15
Paddymariner
July 21, 2011, 4:44pm
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.29
Rep Score: +9 / -2
Approval: +1
Quoted from Alfie

Why!?

He's one of the most solid, if not the best, full backs in this league and barring his tendency to injuries he'd be playing in the league.

Nothing in it but it truly amazes me why and how some Town fans can be against Ridley. Steady defender. Does the job and a massive improvement on Widdowson and Newey who were more eyecatching but dogshit defensively.

He's decent at this level but IMO can look painfully slow at times.
As you correctly state, a considerable improvement on some others before him.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 14 - 15
Borbs
July 21, 2011, 7:20pm
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.11
Rep Score: +2 / 0
My old man was a fisherman and we lived on the West Marsh with many others in the same employment.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 15 - 15
2 Pages Prev 1 2 All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › ridley

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.