5 Pages 1 2 3 4 5 All Recommend Thread
jonnyboy82
July 19, 2011, 9:04pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.27
Rep Score: +71 / -36
Approval: +5,688
Gold Stars: 95
close to joining tamworth according to there messageboard.

GTFC
Logged Offline
Private Message
GtfcGarner
July 19, 2011, 9:05pm

Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.43
Rep Score: +30 / -14
Approval: +1,838
Gold Stars: 31
Good luck to chopper, 100% effort but will look forward to playing against him.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 1 - 40
gtfc98
July 19, 2011, 9:21pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.73
Rep Score: +45 / -21
Approval: +3,063
Gold Stars: 68
Playing for Boston tonight though...

No longer Sick of the BlueSquare  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 2 - 40
boston fan
July 19, 2011, 10:17pm
Beer Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.04
Rep Score: +20 / -2
Yes played for us tonite ( uumm not sure about him) 2-2 draw with Stamford
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 3 - 40
Super Clive
July 19, 2011, 10:18pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.16
Rep Score: +55 / -24
Approval: +1
Private Message
Reply: 4 - 40
WackyCod
July 19, 2011, 10:21pm

Beer Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.02
Rep Score: +11 / 0
Quoted from boston fan
Yes played for us tonite ( uumm not sure about him) 2-2 draw with Stamford

what you think of him?

McKeown

Silk       Garner        Miller     Townsend  

Soares    Thanoj       Disley      Coulson  

Elding        Hearn

RIP MarinerMatt24
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 5 - 40
MarinerMarsh
July 19, 2011, 10:30pm

Main Stand season ticket holder
Shandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.01
Rep Score: +7 / -2
Feel sorry for the club that signs Leary, may not lack comittment but lets be honest he is not a ' star man' or anything close to that  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 6 - 40
craigy
July 19, 2011, 10:37pm
Upper Findus
Posts Per Day: 0.10
Rep Score: +7 / -1
Approval: +92
i dont think they actually need leary, and the reason is they are a very defensive side already espically when we played them at their ground
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 7 - 40
Dan
July 19, 2011, 11:27pm

Exile
Posts Per Day: 0.36
Rep Score: +36 / -17
Approval: +551
No he's not a star man, and generally seems to divide opinion. People would have you believe he's 100% effort and 50% ability. Not sure it's as cut and dry as that.  I guess I mean he can 'do a job'. Wouldn't have minded one bit if Shorty and Shouty had kept him.

Quoted from John Fenty, April 2013
I deconstructed the flag to the point where it was safe and couldn’t be considered a danger
Private Message
Reply: 8 - 40
80sglory
July 20, 2011, 12:26am
Guest User
Can't pass for toffee - it's all well and good wanting commitment but he's not the kind of player you'd see being part of a promotion winning side.
All the best Michael.
Reply: 9 - 40
Gainsbro_Mariner
July 20, 2011, 1:03am

Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.35
Rep Score: +27 / -2
Approval: +1,459
Gold Stars: 15
He played in Gainsborough's 8-0 win at Brigg the other night as well.

Tony Gallimore nicked my Pint and my sausage roll
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 10 - 40
bostonboy
July 20, 2011, 6:53am
Coke Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.00
Rep Score: +0 / -1
boston fan here.Thought leary was pritty solid to be honest.  Seemed to get into his strideas the game went on.  Would be a good addition to us.  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 11 - 40
SuperBobbyC
July 20, 2011, 7:42am
Snakebite drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.10
Rep Score: +4 / -2
Truthfully, one of THE worst players I've ever had the misfortune of seeing in a Town shirt. Completely agree that he gave his all, however his all was all about nothing, sadly
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 12 - 40
logan412
July 20, 2011, 8:35am

Beer Drinker
Rep Score: +1 / 0
Depends which Leary turns up for me. If its the Leary of last pre-season i wouldnt have minded him staying. But he never really got a good run of games under his belt and as a result didnt find and form. Moving him on was the right decision for me. But think he'd be a good signing at Bostons level
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 13 - 40
Mariners_15
July 20, 2011, 8:39am
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.31
Rep Score: +17 / -4
Approval: +538
Gold Stars: 1
Passion, commitment, desire is there. Something which has been a bit rare from a Town player in the last few years but no ability.
Mind you, may be a good addition to a Boston team that are struggling
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 14 - 40
mariner marc
July 20, 2011, 8:46am
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.19
Rep Score: +16 / -1
player who gives it his all.Not the best on the ball but not the worst either and adds a physical presence in the middle .Saw him in a couple of pre season and league games last season in which he played well

good luck to him
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 15 - 40
Laceby Andy
July 20, 2011, 9:34am
Beer Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.03
Rep Score: +3 / 0
Approval: +2
I think Bostons level is about right for leary to build up a rep. 100% commited but cant pass and dosnt have a great football mind
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 16 - 40
boston fan
July 20, 2011, 10:20am
Beer Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.04
Rep Score: +20 / -2
Quoted from Laceby Andy
I think Bostons level is about right for leary to build up a rep. 100% commited but cant pass and dosnt have a great football mind

Some Boston fans thought the same ( and some still do ) about Church when he arrived.Think we might sign him out of desparation. We are seriously short in the middle now Sleathy is in China for a month or more. Wasnt the best last nite but 100% effort goes along way in our division.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 17 - 40
Gainsbro_Mariner
July 20, 2011, 12:14pm

Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.35
Rep Score: +27 / -2
Approval: +1,459
Gold Stars: 15
I thought Leary was a bland, plane, boring, mindless footballer, like you guys said would always give his all..but his all wasn't even a quarter of a way to being a sub standard level. Good luck to the guy though, from what I can gather he gave a fairly solid display for Trinity on Monday, so fingers crossed he may have a couple of offers on the cards

Tony Gallimore nicked my Pint and my sausage roll
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 18 - 40
mariner marc
July 20, 2011, 12:17pm
Table Wine Drinker
Quoted from Gainsbro_Mariner
from what I can gather he gave a fairly solid display for Trinity on Monday, so fingers crossed he may have a couple of offers on the cards
and done very well by all accounts last night   hope he gets a contract always like a grafter

http://www.thisislincolnshire......96-detail/story.html

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 19 - 40
findusrich
July 20, 2011, 12:30pm
Beer Drinker
I was working in Peterborough yesterday and went to see Boston against Stamford   saw our ex midfielder Leary was trialling there and had a solid determined game.Maybe when he was here his mindset with Town wasn't quite right!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 20 - 40
BIGChris
July 20, 2011, 1:29pm
Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 1.96
Rep Score: +70 / -24
Approval: +2,654
Gold Stars: 6
If he played 90 mins for Gainsborough the night before then he has done pretty well.

Despite the ridicule Leary has played around 150 FL games so he must have something more than many on here can see
Private Message
Reply: 21 - 40
Jack95
July 20, 2011, 1:45pm
Coke Drinker
The thing is with leary, he tries in pre-season when he wants to get in the team. Once he knows he's at the team for another year, hes apsolute dogs balls.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 22 - 40
BIGChris
July 20, 2011, 1:53pm
Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 1.96
Rep Score: +70 / -24
Approval: +2,654
Gold Stars: 6
Quoted from Jack95
The thing is with leary, he tries in pre-season when he wants to get in the team. Once he knows he's at the team for another year, hes apsolute dogs balls.

Or perhaps he tries until he catches pneumonia then struggles to regain form and fitness????
Private Message
Reply: 23 - 40
Madeleymariner
July 20, 2011, 7:01pm

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.01
Rep Score: +23 / -15
Approval: +3,077
Gold Stars: 52
Never had a problem with Leary, not the greatest but adequate for our level
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 24 - 40
Denby
July 20, 2011, 10:29pm

Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.15
Rep Score: +12 / -2
Quoted from Madeleymariner
Never had a problem with Leary, not the greatest but adequate for our level

sometimes i can't believe the standard of player we now tolerate as being adequate.  leary was substandard, even at div5 level
Private Message
Reply: 25 - 40
80sglory
July 20, 2011, 10:36pm
Guest User
Quoted from Denby
sometimes i can't believe the standard of player we now tolerate as being adequate.

Adequate for midtable - no longer acceptable !
If we storm it this year, we'll all get a wake up call what we've been readily accepting far too easily for far too long.
Reply: 26 - 40
bostonboy
July 21, 2011, 12:31pm
Coke Drinker
Rep Score: +0 / -1
some people do talk some sh*t on here.  People just jump on the band wagon.  If town are winning then everyone is world beater and if we are losing then the players are not worthy to wear the shirt.  A player has to have something to become a pro footballer in the first place and too play over 100 games in the league then thats something.  Each player has their own attributes and its the manager's job to get the right blend of player in and get the best out of them.  We all sit in the stand and think we are managers and could do a better job.  Just pipe down and get behind the players regardless.   Leary had his own attributes.  No he would not beat three or four men but he would win the ball and play an easy ball to start of an attack.  Maybe woodsy didnt have the right blend in,who knows,but to say he cant pass then thats just makes me laugh. It will be interesting to see how shorty and shouty get on this year.  They have no excuses this season because they have had a pre season with the boys and also have bought there own players in.  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 27 - 40
biggles9999
July 21, 2011, 12:37pm
Main Stander
Posts Per Day: 0.51
Rep Score: +24 / -12
Approval: +367
Quoted from bostonboy
some people do talk some sh*t on here.  People just jump on the band wagon.  If town are winning then everyone is world beater and if we are losing then the players are not worthy to wear the shirt.  A player has to have something to become a pro footballer in the first place and too play over 100 games in the league then thats something.  Each player has their own attributes and its the manager's job to get the right blend of player in and get the best out of them.  We all sit in the stand and think we are managers and could do a better job.  Just pipe down and get behind the players regardless.   Leary had his own attributes.  No he would not beat three or four men but he would win the ball and play an easy ball to start of an attack.  Maybe woodsy didnt have the right blend in,who knows,but to say he cant pass then thats just makes me laugh. It will be interesting to see how shorty and shouty get on this year.  They have no excuses this season because they have had a pre season with the boys and also have bought there own players in.  

Bostonboy, you almost sound like you have seen Leary play in a Town shirt quite a few times.....

A multi account you forgot to log out of?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 28 - 40
jonnyboy82
July 21, 2011, 12:40pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.27
Rep Score: +71 / -36
Approval: +5,688
Gold Stars: 95
Quoted from biggles9999
Bostonboy, you almost sound like you have seen Leary play in a Town shirt quite a few times.....

A multi account you forgot to log out of?

SCHOOLBOY ERROR.

GTFC
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 29 - 40
findusrich
July 21, 2011, 12:53pm
Beer Drinker
Quoted from bostonboy
cant agree more! this is exactly what happens with some football supporters.Sentiments of the extreme!! players are either world beaters or total shite  . A balanced argument such as this is what we all should adhere to giving  a reasoned criticism of players  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 30 - 40
headingly_mariner
July 21, 2011, 2:09pm

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.98
Rep Score: +34 / -21
Approval: +10,416
Gold Stars: 124
Quoted from findusrich
cant agree more! this is exactly what happens with some football supporters.Sentiments of the extreme!! players are either world beaters or total shite  . A balanced argument such as this is what we all should adhere to giving  a reasoned criticism of players  

Apart from if like leary they are total shite. cant pass, cant tackle and cant run, he is a total clogger but he seems like a nice chap though.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 31 - 40
findusrich
July 21, 2011, 3:14pm
Beer Drinker
Quoted from headingly_mariner

Apart from if like leary they are total shite. cant pass, cant tackle and cant run, he is a total clogger but he seems like a nice chap though.
again this is using the language of the extreme.Use of the expression"total shite" is derogatory to professional players at any level.To have achieved the professional standard and to have played x amount of games simply invalidates that expression.Take Bradley Woods for example.The lad puts everything in his game and plays with the energy and output of a chieftain tank but his ball skills do not match up.But they are not shite.He plays to the strengths for which he has been professionally selected and fits a niche in the structure and playing style of the team.Connel could finish and moved well off the ball but other aspects of his game I would say would be found wanting.Conlon was a great header of the ball but lacked energy and mobility.Its up to the manager to use the various attributes of the players and to mould them into the teams shape and style of play that would achieve success.If they are ALL pulling in the same direction a forward momentum will be inevitable  .To this end the supporters have a role to play as well.Constrictive reasoned criticism is what is needed not the semantics of the extreme.Iam sure players and management  read the forums banter and can only be annoyed and discouraged by some of the comments.Some fans just seem to jump on the bandwagon of derision when things are going badly and the total reverse when results are more positive.......  why cant we as fans simply ameliorate our language and act as true supporters by enhancing the positives attributes of players and criticising  constructively how they could improve !!!!

up the mariners
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 32 - 40
ginnywings
July 21, 2011, 3:49pm

Recovering Alcoholic
Posts Per Day: 5.00
Rep Score: +88 / -32
Approval: +56,157
Gold Stars: 548
Quoted from findusrich
again this is using the language of the extreme.Use of the expression"total shite" is derogatory to professional players at any level.To have achieved the professional standard and to have played x amount of games simply invalidates that expression.Take Bradley Woods for example.The lad puts everything in his game and plays with the energy and output of a chieftain tank but his ball skills do not match up.But they are not shite.He plays to the strengths for which he has been professionally selected and fits a niche in the structure and playing style of the team.Connel could finish and moved well off the ball but other aspects of his game I would say would be found wanting.Conlon was a great header of the ball but lacked energy and mobility.Its up to the manager to use the various attributes of the players and to mould them into the teams shape and style of play that would achieve success.If they are ALL pulling in the same direction a forward momentum will be inevitable  .To this end the supporters have a role to play as well.Constrictive reasoned criticism is what is needed not the semantics of the extreme.Iam sure players and management  read the forums banter and can only be annoyed and discouraged by some of the comments.Fans just seem to jump on the bandwagon of derision when things are going badly and the total reverse when results are more positive.......  why cant we as fans simply ameliorate our language and act as true supporters by enhancing the positives attributes of players and criticising  constructively how they could improve !!!!

up the mariners

That argument is all well and good but those players you are defending have seen us drop several leagues in a short space of time and struggle in non league.

Most of them were shite and the results bear that out.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 33 - 40
headingly_mariner
July 21, 2011, 5:16pm

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.98
Rep Score: +34 / -21
Approval: +10,416
Gold Stars: 124
Quoted from findusrich
again this is using the language of the extreme.Use of the expression"total shite" is derogatory to professional players at any level.To have achieved the professional standard and to have played x amount of games simply invalidates that expression.Take Bradley Woods for example.The lad puts everything in his game and plays with the energy and output of a chieftain tank but his ball skills do not match up.But they are not shite.He plays to the strengths for which he has been professionally selected and fits a niche in the structure and playing style of the team.Connel could finish and moved well off the ball but other aspects of his game I would say would be found wanting.Conlon was a great header of the ball but lacked energy and mobility.Its up to the manager to use the various attributes of the players and to mould them into the teams shape and style of play that would achieve success.If they are ALL pulling in the same direction a forward momentum will be inevitable  .To this end the supporters have a role to play as well.Constrictive reasoned criticism is what is needed not the semantics of the extreme.Iam sure players and management  read the forums banter and can only be annoyed and discouraged by some of the comments.Some fans just seem to jump on the bandwagon of derision when things are going badly and the total reverse when results are more positive.......  why cant we as fans simply ameliorate our language and act as true supporters by enhancing the positives attributes of players and criticising  constructively how they could improve !!!!

up the mariners

bradley wood is a good player though, michael leary is one of the worst players i have ever seen play for town and i have seen some bad ones, the fact that he is on trail at pt clubs shows he will probably never be mistaken for a professional footballer again. Leary is a shite footballer no amount of constructive criticism is going to change that, the language is extreme because he is extremely shite.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 34 - 40
AndyGTFC
July 21, 2011, 6:32pm

Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.31
Rep Score: +23 / -2
Approval: +808
Gold Stars: 5
Leary's agreed to sign for Gainsborough Trinity. Like most people, I didn't rate him but you couldn't fault his effort so good luck to him.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 35 - 40
mariner marc
July 21, 2011, 6:52pm
Table Wine Drinker
Quoted from AndyGTFC
Leary's agreed to sign for Gainsborough Trinity. Like most people, I didn't rate him but you couldn't fault his effort so good luck to him.
pleased for the lad.I think despite him being released by Town did at times show a bit of quality .In pre season  last year for example  was one of our best players  

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 36 - 40
voice of reason
July 21, 2011, 7:52pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.57
Rep Score: +46 / -17
Approval: -1
Quoted from BIGChris
If he played 90 mins for Gainsborough the night before then he has done pretty well.

Despite the ridicule Leary has played around 150 FL games so he must have something more than many on here can see

Maybe he does have something more than we can see... Seen as you point this out, maybe you can also point out what most people on here are blind too, that is of course if we are missing the glaringly obvious...

"I am surprised that Bright pratt like you fails to get a grasp of the queens English been as your allways pulling up anyone who fails to follow your thoughts and if they don't give you verbal pats on the back get real and grow up this is a free speech site.UTMM".(Cleefish, 2012)       
Private Message
Reply: 37 - 40
mariner91
July 21, 2011, 9:46pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.64
Rep Score: +78 / -11
Approval: +19,925
Gold Stars: 264
Quoted from findusrich
again this is using the language of the extreme.Use of the expression"total shite" is derogatory to professional players at any level.To have achieved the professional standard and to have played x amount of games simply invalidates that expression.

Two words to beat that argument hands down. Jamie and Clarke.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 38 - 40
dave12
July 21, 2011, 10:02pm
Snakebite drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.07
Rep Score: +5 / -1
Quoted from headingly_mariner

. Leary is a shite footballer no amount of constructive criticism is going to change that, the language is extreme because he is extremely shite.

may not be the best but if he would have been complete shite like you said would he have played the number of games he did at league level  doubt it.Managers after a couple of games would of paid him up and let him go  (as is the case in football).In addition kept Disley out of the side whilst he was on loan from Bristol Rovers from championship club Luton   so cant be that crap.I agree maybe not up to what Town want(eg promotion from the bsp) but could do a job for another team in the bsp
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 39 - 40
mariner91
July 21, 2011, 10:10pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.64
Rep Score: +78 / -11
Approval: +19,925
Gold Stars: 264
Quoted from dave12

may not be the best but if he would have been complete shite like you said would he have played the number of games he did at league level  doubt it.Managers after a couple of games would of let him go or released him (as is the case in football).In addition kept Disly out of the side whilst he was on loan from Bristol Rovers from championship club Luton   so cant be that crap.I agree maybe not up to what Town want(eg promotion from the bsp) but could do a job for another team in the bsp

See my post above yours. Also, just because a manager played a player doesn't mean the player is any good. Depends who the manager is.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 40 - 40
5 Pages 1 2 3 4 5 All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › michael leary

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.