Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Fishy Forum Fishy Boards The New Fishy › National League Play-offs
Moderators: Moderator
Users Browsing Forum

Who do you think will win the Play-offs?
Altrincham (20 votes)
19.61%
Barnet (43 votes)
42.16%
Bromley (5 votes)
4.90%
Halifax Town (23 votes)
22.55%
Solihull Moors (11 votes)
10.78%
102 Votes Total
You must login or register to be allowed to participate in this poll
Voting in this poll has ended.

National League Play-offs

This thread currently has 5,234 views. Print
9 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 Next All Recommend Thread
Mappers
April 27, 2024, 11:13pm
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 5.44
Rep Score: +8 / -3
Approval: +4,503
Gold Stars: 120
I suppose we want the least bankrolled / potentially weakest to come up which I'm guessing is probably Alty . Bromley would be similiar to Sutton (until it went wrong ) a sh*thouse team who would be horrible to play against . Solihull seem to be well financed on 1k gates so maybe the least favourable apart from for Brummie
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 60 - 88
toontown
April 28, 2024, 12:20am
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.57
Rep Score: +13 / 0
Approval: +6,273
Gold Stars: 70
Quoted from Mappers
I suppose we want the least bankrolled / potentially weakest to come up which I'm guessing is probably Alty . Bromley would be similiar to Sutton (until it went wrong ) a sh*thouse team who would be horrible to play against . Solihull seem to be well financed on 1k gates so maybe the least favourable apart from for Brummie

My thoughts exactly - come on alty. Plus think their fans are decent at their place and it's an away game thats a decent location.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 61 - 88
The Caterham Mariner
April 28, 2024, 8:20am
Exile and Proud..
Snakebite drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.49
Rep Score: +1 / 0
Approval: +99
Gold Stars: 8
Quoted from MaccasBoots
Honestly, anyone but Bromley

They seriously  need help by a massive cash injection to sort that ground out for any future progression, Yes they are on my doorstep but honestly no thanks.
Also going to work on a Monday worst case scenario "The Lip" / banter  IF  "Town" loose to them, Also for "The travelling Faithful" not the easiest place to get to.
So Altringham for me.

An Exile and Proud  !! UTM
Mariners Trust Life Member.
In the words of my Uncle Fred "You can take the man outta of Grimsby BUT  you can't take the Grimsby!  Out the man!"
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 62 - 88
Poojah
April 28, 2024, 10:26am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.26
Rep Score: +76 / -11
Approval: +29,782
Gold Stars: 1,515
Presumably given they’ve been allowed to compete in the play-offs, all three remaining sides’ grounds meet the EFLs minimum ground requirements? I’ve only been to Alty, quite some time ago, but they each look shocking in their own, unique special way.

It just seems mad to me that 30 years after clubs like Town were forced to make expensive, capacity limiting modifications to their ground as a result of the Taylor Report, we will still be playing league games at places like this next season.

A smooth sea never made a skillful mariner.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 63 - 88
GollyGTFC
April 28, 2024, 10:36am

Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.69
Rep Score: +19 / -11
Approval: +6,056
Gold Stars: 358
Quoted from forza ivano

got it one. it was just a toss up between those 2 great mates (poojah and golly) as to who got there first

Stewards enquiry...

Crewe Alexandra were founder members of the new D2 in 1892/93 after playing in the Football Alliance. They failed re-election at the end of the 1895/96 season and played in the Combination, Lancaster League, Birmingham & Disctrict League and the Central League before being founder memeber of the new D3(N) in 1921/22.

Walsall were founder members of the new D2 in 1892/93 after playing in the Football Alliance. But since then they have dropped out of the FL twice. They played in the Midland League 1895/96 and dropped out again after the 1900/01 season and played in the Midland League, Birmingham & District League & the Southern League before being founder memeber of the new D3(N) in 1921/22..

Gillingham & Swindon.were both founder members of the new D3 in 1920/21 but before that played in the Southern League.

Milton Keynes Dons & Bradford City are the only clubs who have genuinely never played in any other league other than the EFL (or Premier League in Bradford's case).

So the real answer is...

2 if you mean clubs who have never played in non-league.

or 4 if you include clubs that have never dropped out of the EFL after becoming a new member for the first time.
Logged Online
Private Message Skype
Reply: 64 - 88
buckstown
April 28, 2024, 10:38am
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.41
Rep Score: +16 / -6
Approval: +5,240
Gold Stars: 80
Have Bromley still got the plastic pitch? If so I assume that’ll have to go
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 65 - 88
Mappers
April 28, 2024, 10:46am
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 5.44
Rep Score: +8 / -3
Approval: +4,503
Gold Stars: 120
Quoted from buckstown
Have Bromley still got the plastic pitch? If so I assume that’ll have to go

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.bbc.com/sport/football/57336301.amp

I only imagine the cost has gone up since this .
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 66 - 88
crusty ole pie
April 28, 2024, 10:47am

Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.54
Rep Score: +16 / -1
Approval: +3,381
Gold Stars: 66
Quoted from Poojah
Presumably given they’ve been allowed to compete in the play-offs, all three remaining sides’ grounds meet the EFLs minimum ground requirements? I’ve only been to Alty, quite some time ago, but they each look shocking in their own, unique special way.

It just seems mad to me that 30 years after clubs like Town were forced to make expensive, capacity limiting modifications to their ground as a result of the Taylor Report, we will still be playing league games at places like this next season.

Just looked at all three on google earth and non of them look vey inspiring would assume whoever gets promoted will need to spend an awful amount of money to get them into shape
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 67 - 88
GollyGTFC
April 28, 2024, 10:47am

Whiskey Drinker
Quoted from Nelly GTFC
All abit vague on the internet, I can't find anything either way to say they are semi-pro or pro, no references/citations.  I'll take your word for it.

Turning professional isn't like it used to be. It's a slower evolution now by going hybrid (some pros & some semi-pros) and gradually turning fully professional. A lot of clubs in National League North operate in this way and have a training schedule to work around this (Monday morning, Tuesday evening, Wednesday morning & Thursday evening).

Altrincham went professional in the summer of 2022.
Logged Online
Private Message Skype
Reply: 68 - 88
GollyGTFC
April 28, 2024, 10:48am

Whiskey Drinker
Quoted from Mappers

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.bbc.com/sport/football/57336301.amp

I only imagine the cost has gone up since this .

Promotion is worth over £1m a season in increased income (TV money & PL solidarity payments). I'm sure they'll cope.
Logged Online
Private Message Skype
Reply: 69 - 88
9 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards The New Fishy › National League Play-offs

Thread Rating
There is currently no rating for this thread

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.