5 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 Next All Recommend Thread
gtfc_chris
April 22, 2024, 9:44pm
Snakebite drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.48
Rep Score: +10 / 0
Approval: +1,506
Gold Stars: 115
Personally I wouldn't have been upset to see either of them stay but I think the poor season we've had is overinflating their historic stock a little.

Orsi was a hard worker and has proven this season to know how to score but that wasn't the case last season. He was largely ineffective for most of the season but showed glimpses from time to time and his FA Cup performances mostly offered some hint of promise. No-one would be saying we should have kept him if he'd only scored 5 this season, same as if he had stayed and not scored the theme would be 'should have improved in the summer'. I would have kept him too but not with the same degree of flattery he seems to be getting, even if I am pleased to see him doing well.

Its a bit the same with Mani. I'm sure I remember people saying that he was worthy of being a backup in the squad on promotion and I would again agree with that but he wouldn't settle for that.

I liked both of them, wouldn't be unhappy to see them here again in the future but also think that neither really set a standard like Danny Rose did, both more like Wilson who has shown there's something but isn't fully convincing and it's only what they've gone on to achieve is the basis of why people are calling decisions a mistake, not based on how they performed here.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 30 - 41
Lord Gadiform
April 22, 2024, 10:01pm
Shandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.01
Approval: +114
Gold Stars: 5
I liked Mani when he was here. Hoped he would stay when we got promoted. Had the pleasure of seeing him twice this year. Small sample size but I’m really glad he left. Absolutely anonymous both times. Think he left at the right time to be remembered fondly at Town.

It's no fish ye're buying: It's men's lives.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 31 - 41
sam gy
April 23, 2024, 10:32am
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.33
Rep Score: +18 / -3
Approval: +5,478
Gold Stars: 56
Quoted from gtfc_chris
Personally I wouldn't have been upset to see either of them stay but I think the poor season we've had is overinflating their historic stock a little.

Orsi was a hard worker and has proven this season to know how to score but that wasn't the case last season. He was largely ineffective for most of the season but showed glimpses from time to time and his FA Cup performances mostly offered some hint of promise. No-one would be saying we should have kept him if he'd only scored 5 this season, same as if he had stayed and not scored the theme would be 'should have improved in the summer'. I would have kept him too but not with the same degree of flattery he seems to be getting, even if I am pleased to see him doing well.

Orsi started FIVE league games for us last season and managed to score 2 goals. Hurst, quite simply, did not give him a chance. He only got a chance in the FA Cup because we literally had no one else and he more than proved his worth. But even then he couldn't buy a start in the league.

This season he's started FOURTY FOUR games for Crawley and scored 18 goals. The last time he played a decent amount of games was when he played 32 games and scored 19 goals for Maidenhead in the conference.

Mani is fair enough, he hasn't ever torn up any trees in the league so it's debatable and time will tell.. But letting Orsi leave, and not playing him when we had him, was an appalling decision by Hurst.

Not only was he a decent goal scorer, but his performances in teh cup showed he's also a grafter and a pretty clever player all round.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 32 - 41
RonMariner
April 23, 2024, 2:20pm

Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.42
Rep Score: +42 / -7
Approval: +13,789
Gold Stars: 226
Totally agree about Orsi. Letting him go was crazy. As insane as letting Podge go when we did.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 33 - 41
tashee69
April 23, 2024, 3:23pm

Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.32
Rep Score: +28 / -4
Approval: +959
Gold Stars: 23
Quoted from RonMariner
Totally agree about Orsi. Letting him go was crazy. As insane as letting Podge go when we did.

Know I’ll get slated for this but Podge was a proven goalscorer with us, Orsi showed promise at times. I definitely think this is a case of somebody who performed well in a few cup games, to me didn’t look anything much in the league and had gone elsewhere and done well and is now hero worshipped for some reason.

Baldrick ! The only impression you can do is that of a man with no talent !!
GTFC team 09/10 - Baldrick, Baldrick, Baldrick, Baldrick, Baldrick, Baldrick, Baldrick, Baldrick, Baldrick, Baldrick, Baldrick.
Private Message
Reply: 34 - 41
Limerick Mariner
April 23, 2024, 4:06pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.56
Rep Score: +10 / -3
Approval: +5,720
Gold Stars: 137
Quoted from tashee69

Know I’ll get slated for this but Podge was a proven goalscorer with us, Orsi showed promise at times. I definitely think this is a case of somebody who performed well in a few cup games, to me didn’t look anything much in the league and had gone elsewhere and done well and is now hero worshipped for some reason.

Notwithstanding his amazing performances up front on his own against Luton, I think the reason PH didn’t play him more is being a one up front doesn’t suit Orsi, he looked decent when he was paired with Lloyd near the end of the season. It was the second biggest PH blunder of the close season,  compounded by replacing him with Pyke. Rose / Orsi Rose/Wilson Orsi / Wilson would have been a very solid set of options, but PH I suspect was planning 4-3-3 with Rose Vernam and Eisa or 4-4-1-1 probably with Gav behind Rose, so couldn’t guarantee Orsi better than third choice
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 35 - 41
LocalLadGTFC
April 23, 2024, 4:31pm
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.38
Rep Score: +9 / -2
Approval: +4,311
Gold Stars: 137
Quoted from Limerick Mariner

Notwithstanding his amazing performances up front on his own against Luton, I think the reason PH didn’t play him more is being a one up front doesn’t suit Orsi, he looked decent when he was paired with Lloyd near the end of the season. It was the second biggest PH blunder of the close season,  compounded by replacing him with Pyke. Rose / Orsi Rose/Wilson Orsi / Wilson would have been a very solid set of options, but PH I suspect was planning 4-3-3 with Rose Vernam and Eisa or 4-4-1-1 probably with Gav behind Rose, so couldn’t guarantee Orsi better than third choice

He was also victim to the fact he was the only available striker we had for the cup and we couldn't risk him getting injured. Every other striker was cup tied.
Logged Offline
Private Message Skype
Reply: 36 - 41
dapperz fun pub
April 23, 2024, 7:27pm
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.59
Rep Score: +37 / -6
Approval: +10,021
Gold Stars: 83
Quoted from RonMariner

We offered podge a kit of fish to stay Ron I think we ( fenty ) insulted his efforts tbh we don’t pay the money and even now don’t.  Ryan Bennett was offered 2 kits of fish to come here in the summer Cambridge offered 3 times more obviously a no brainer for him
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 37 - 41
toontown
April 23, 2024, 10:52pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.57
Rep Score: +13 / 0
Approval: +6,275
Gold Stars: 70
Quoted from dapperz fun pub

We offered podge a kit of fish to stay Ron I think we ( fenty ) insulted his efforts tbh we don’t pay the money and even now don’t.  Ryan Bennett was offered 2 kits of fish to come here in the summer Cambridge offered 3 times more obviously a no brainer for him

Well with the cup money blown by Hurst I guess it will be down to 1 1/2 kits this time!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 38 - 41
Captain Sensible
April 24, 2024, 3:28pm
Shandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.09
Approval: +178
Gold Stars: 5
Quoted from diehardmariner
He was out of contract at Tranmere, we had the option of signing him as in talks were held.  Hurst was clear to him, you won't be coming here as first choice.  Mani wanted at least the chance to be the main man but it was made clear it wasn't going to happen.

Hindsight's great.  Season after Mani left we struggled to even field strikers never mind effective ones.  Taylor looked absolutely broken, McAtee couldn't get going, Simmonds and Pepple were useless and Orsi...well, let's not go there.

Would Mani have cut it in League Two?  History suggests not but his whole career was unspectacular prior to rocking up for us.  3 goals in 26 games in the Conference North for Salford.  4 goals in 29 appearances in the same league for Kiddy.  He had 18 career goals to his name before we loaned him, 7 of those were in the FA Trophy!  Maybe everything just clicked for him here and he certainly hasn't looked back.  

We'll never know if he would have been any good last season for us but I'm confident he would have been better than some of the loan lads we had last season.  Equally so persisting with Taylor as your main man was a bad move.   But you can see why Hurst didn't fancy it.  A purple patch for us, plus lets face it if you take away his goals at Notts County and Wrexham away and no-one is really waxing lyrical about him anymore than Tristan Abrahams, probably isn't enough to buck the trend from the previous 9 years of football.  

I suspect we'll find out next season if Mani can cut it at this level.  23 goals that finished midtable is impressive and certainly will have put him on a few League Two radars.

Wouldn't "you'll have to fight to secure a regular first choice starting place" be a better message to give to a potential signing?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 39 - 41
5 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards The New Fishy › Emmanuel Dieseruvwe

Thread Rating
There is currently no rating for this thread

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.