Stadium
April 22, 2024, 9:12pm
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.77
Rep Score: +6 / 0
Approval: +1,926
Gold Stars: 19
Quoted from Lincoln Mariner 56

Not necessarily, as how can VAR prove that they are drawing the line at exactly the moment the ball is being played? There needs to be a greater margin for error than 1cm as draw it a millisecond earlier/later and he may have been onside. Have to say a 1cm head start might be an advantage to Usain Bolt et Al but not sure it’s enough to be disallowing goals every weekend and taking the spontaneity away from fans at the ground.

Before VAR linesman were getting 98% of decisions correct so I think most fans would settle for that over what we have now.

??
A greater margin,what would that be?
If your introducing margins that would be open to even further discussions.
Interesting figure of 98% correct decisions?

β€œThere's nothing wrong with the car except that it's on fire.”- Murray Walker
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 20 - 31
Lincoln Mariner 56
April 22, 2024, 9:33pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.61
Rep Score: +23 / -4
Approval: +7,761
Gold Stars: 81
Quoted from Stadium

??

Not my figure that was quoted some time ago when all this controversy with VAR started, as I said previously my margin would be a clear gap between attacker and defender that in my mind is an advantage. Klopp wanted much thicker lines to cover for an error of margins whereas I would just scrap it and go back to good old human error.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 21 - 31
CSLM
April 22, 2024, 10:02pm
Lager Top Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.35
Rep Score: +3 / 0
Approval: +645
Gold Stars: 12

Not my figure that was quoted some time ago when all this controversy with VAR started, as I said previously my margin would be a clear gap between attacker and defender that in my mind is an advantage. Klopp wanted much thicker lines to cover for an error of margins whereas I would just scrap it and go back to good old human error.

A much thicker line would make no difference whatsoever, just move where the decision is right or wrong a few inches.
I hate VAR, takes so much away from the game, presumably more decisions are correct when it is used but it is simply not worth it for what it takes away. I have seen  a few of the fans of the relegation threatened teams almost happy to be going back down to the championship and I can understand that.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 22 - 31
Madeleymariner
April 23, 2024, 9:46am

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.01
Rep Score: +23 / -15
Approval: +3,061
Gold Stars: 50
FA/PL for being greedy tuats
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 23 - 31
DB
April 23, 2024, 9:55am
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 15.46
Rep Score: +13 / -13
Approval: +4,047
Gold Stars: 390
FA for abandoning the principles of the FA CUP and giving in to the PL

You can please some of the forumites some of the time but not all the forumites all of the time
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 24 - 31
JK47
April 23, 2024, 1:27pm
Shandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.72
Rep Score: +2 / 0
Approval: +205
Gold Stars: 3
Quoted from DB
FA for abandoning the principles of the FA CUP and giving in to the PL

Yes, though in effect, just the 6 big clubs, who have intended taking over all decisions in their own vested interests for the last 40 years.  They won't stop at this.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 25 - 31
Heswall Mariner
April 23, 2024, 7:43pm

Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.66
Rep Score: +1 / 0
Approval: +594
Gold Stars: 30
VAR: Football  is a simple game. Multiple rewinds to establish whether in a particular millisecond a guys left testicle was a fraction of an inch offside thus giving him an unfair advantage is twaddle.
While I'm on it - penalties are given on multiple rewinds on handball decision - when I see it as 'ball to hands' when the player cannot possibly avoid contact.
The referees decision should always remain final. UTM
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 26 - 31
GrimPol
April 24, 2024, 11:44am
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.60
Rep Score: +5 / -6
Approval: -782
Gold Stars: 76

Not necessarily, as how can VAR prove that they are drawing the line at exactly the moment the ball is being played? There needs to be a greater margin for error than 1cm as draw it a millisecond earlier/later and he may have been onside. Have to say a 1cm head start might be an advantage to Usain Bolt et Al but not sure it’s enough to be disallowing goals every weekend and taking the spontaneity away from fans at the ground.

Before VAR linesman were getting 98% of decisions correct so I think most fans would settle for that over what we have now.

There is a sensor inside the Adidas ball which senses 500 times per second when a ball is kicked.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 27 - 31
Maringer
April 24, 2024, 12:39pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.87
Rep Score: +60 / -12
Approval: +16,642
Gold Stars: 189
Remember the good old days of, "Onside if you're level with the defender"?

It should only be used to disallow the most egregious of offsides where the linesman misses somebody standing half a yard or more off. Yes, it's arbitrary, but we can change the interpretation of the laws if we want to.

I'd also bring in instant bookings for anybody tugging an opponent's shirt, anywhere on the pitch, for any reason. The idea of the 'normal' foul which is only punished by a free-kick has come across from Europe and it ruins the spectacle. Also, the ridiculous melee at corners where defenders quite literally have their backs turned to the ball, so they can concentrate on obstructing and shoving attackers around. Also, players deliberately trying to obstruct the keeper at corners.

All that sort of stuff, really. The game has become too 'professional' in the way it accepts foul play.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 28 - 31
BrMarin
April 26, 2024, 4:41pm
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.13
Rep Score: +17 / -2
Approval: +96
Gold Stars: 8
Quoted from Stadium

??

There should be a bigger margin of error (thicker line of maybe a yard) and the onfield decision should stand depending if it was within this error margin.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 29 - 31
4 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards The New Fishy › Football Twit of the Week πŸŽ–

Thread Rating
There is currently no rating for this thread

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.