Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Fishy Forum Fishy Boards The New Fishy › Lineup versus Crawley?
Moderators: Moderator
Users Browsing Forum

Lineup versus Crawley?

This thread currently has 4,427 views. Print
5 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 Next All Recommend Thread
chaos33
April 21, 2024, 12:40pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.58
Rep Score: +66 / -33
Approval: +17,973
Gold Stars: 360
Quoted from HertsGTFC

He’s out of contract at the end of this season. Why would Hurst be considering him?

You don’t think Hurst would consider him?

"You should do what you love while you can"
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 20 - 46
chaos33
April 21, 2024, 12:56pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from Lincoln Mariner 56

Big problem with that is that he isn’t good enough for L2 never mind L1. Be a great signing for York though.

Do a quick exercise listing Clifton’s pro’s and cons, remembering that no player ticks all attributes boxes, and if you’re not coming up with a solid net plus, then I’d be surprised.

He hasn’t had a great season. He’s not the best technically.
But if you rate: fitness, versatility, utility, energy,  commitment, goals, tackling….he’s a good footballer on balance  is Harry, and worthy of a L2 squad. Maybe a L1. Don’t know.

Put it another way - There are plenty of technically good players about, but how often are they any or more of the following: injured, flaky attitude, wavering commitment, one dimensional, weak tackling, non mobile…?

If you’re paying someone to come to work and do a job week after week for their salary., have a look at his appearance stats over the last 3 seasons. Your playmaker type who shows up for 23 games across his  2 year deal .scoring 2 and making 6 and only suited to 1 position in limited formations is bringing way less to the squad game  table and far less value for his cost.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 21 - 46
Lincoln Mariner 56
April 21, 2024, 1:12pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.61
Rep Score: +23 / -4
Approval: +7,761
Gold Stars: 81
Quoted from chaos33

Do a quick exercise listing Clifton’s pro’s and cons, remembering that no player ticks all attributes boxes, and if you’re not coming up with a solid net plus, then I’d be surprised.

But if you rate: fitness, versatility, utility, energy,  commitment, goals, tackling….he’s a good footballer on balance  is Harry, and worthy of a L2 squad. Maybe a L1. Don’t know.

Put it another way - There are plenty of technically good players about, but how often are they any or more of the following: injured, flaky attitude, wavering commitment, one dimensional, weak tackling, non mobile…?

If you’re paying someone to come to work and do a job week after week for their salary., have a look at his appearance stats over the last 3 seasons. Your playmaker type who shows up for 23 games across his  2 year deal .scoring 2 and making 6 and only suited to 1 position in limited formations is bringing way less to the squad game  table.

Think we had a similar debate some eighteen months ago and we clearly sit on different sides of the fence when it comes to Harry. I can concede that his assets of versatility, stamina and attitude make him a decent squad player and someone who is perfect for the bench accordingly. Just don’t think his plusses out weigh his minuses when it comes to the starting eleven particularly in midfield.

Will also accept we’ve had much worse players wear the shirt but just feel it’s time for both parties to try something new.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 22 - 46
grimsby pete
April 21, 2024, 1:16pm

Exile
Posts Per Day: 9.80
Rep Score: +126 / -28
Approval: +17,827
Gold Stars: 222
Whatever team is selected we will win.

so it will be the first time this season we have won two games on the trot.

Better late than never.

Over 36 years living in Suffolk but always a mariner.
                             68 Years following the Town

Life member of Trust

First game   April 1955

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 23 - 46
mariner91
April 21, 2024, 1:54pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.64
Rep Score: +78 / -11
Approval: +19,725
Gold Stars: 262
Quoted from chaos33

He’s a good L2 squad player but no more than that. The amount of times he gives the ball away either from bad technique/control or a lack of awareness is poor even in L2 with quite a few games this season his pass completion percentage being barely over 50%. That doesn’t even include the times he miscontrols it and loses it. A bit of blood and thunder can make up for that a bit in L2 but in L1 you might not get the ball again for 10 minutes if you lose it. He’d be found sorely wanting at that level.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 24 - 46
HertsGTFC
April 21, 2024, 2:03pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 4.26
Rep Score: +29 / -10
Approval: +22,985
Gold Stars: 228
Quoted from chaos33

You don’t think Hurst would consider him?

Not necessarily but I guess like anything it depends on what Hurst has to work with ahead of next season. Harry’s a great lad with a brilliant attitude & work rate but I’m not sure how a manager could justify him as a L1 starter unless their hand is forced by a lack of finance.

"Crombie you would have got to that if you weren't such a fat ba%$@rd" - George Kerr, inspiration from the dug out 70s style  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 25 - 46
chaos33
April 21, 2024, 2:10pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from mariner91

He’s a good L2 squad player but no more than that. The amount of times he gives the ball away either from bad technique/control or a lack of awareness is poor even in L2 with quite a few games this season his pass completion percentage being barely over 50%. That doesn’t even include the times he miscontrols it and loses it. A bit of blood and thunder can make up for that a bit in L2 but in L1 you might not get the ball again for 10 minutes if you lose it. He’d be found sorely wanting at that level.

Yeah it’s a strong point mate.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 26 - 46
toontown
April 21, 2024, 2:27pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.57
Rep Score: +13 / 0
Approval: +6,275
Gold Stars: 70
Quoted from HertsGTFC

Not necessarily but I guess like anything it depends on what Hurst has to work with ahead of next season. Harry’s a great lad with a brilliant attitude & work rate but I’m not sure how a manager could justify him as a L1 starter unless their hand is forced by a lack of finance.

He might not be considering him as a regular starter, even as a Harry fan I think surely not for L1. But he might think his versatility, commitment, stamina and what would be relatively low wage demands for L1 makes him ideal as cover for multiple positions and thus save money to strengthen elsewhere. Depends on shrews finances I guess. It's only cos it's Hurst that he might get the chance of L1 though, I totally accept that, no way otherwise after the season he's just had.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 27 - 46
Swansea_Mariner
April 21, 2024, 4:02pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.61
Rep Score: +22 / -3
Approval: +6,468
Gold Stars: 63
Is this not the league 1 where James Berret played about 200 games, I reckon the standard of player might not be that different to league 2 as some are making out.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 28 - 46
Maringer
April 21, 2024, 9:14pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.87
Rep Score: +60 / -12
Approval: +16,642
Gold Stars: 189
Quoted from Swansea_Mariner
Is this not the league 1 where James Berret played about 200 games, I reckon the standard of player might not be that different to league 2 as some are making out.

I think that must have been a different dimension where Berrett made all those League One appearances. It may be a crazy theory but it makes more sense than the alternative view.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 29 - 46
5 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards The New Fishy › Lineup versus Crawley?

Thread Rating
There is currently no rating for this thread

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.